Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Not in the most important way - either one updates your system to the new version.

Direct downloads are less convenient because you have to find the URL, download the file, open the disk image, run the installer, unmount the disk image, and throw away the download. You have to figure out which download applies to your Mac. You may download a larger file than necessary since a downloaded installer may be a "combo" that includes other updates you've already applied. That takes extra time, but is otherwise not a problem.

On the other hand, with the direct download you have the advantage that you can save the disk image to use later (e.g., if you revert your software) or on other systems, without having to download it again. So if you have multiple Macs and a slow Internet connection, downloading it for multiple uses may actually be more convenient.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
OK, thanks.. I think I'll use Software Update all the time. I should be fine without the security update for a couple days, right? I dont want to restart my iBook for a little while bc ive been working sorta heavy on it and not done and would like to restart it or shut down when Im finished.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
rye9 said:
I should be fine without the security update for a couple days, right?
Yes, as long as you don't download files and double-click them without being sure what they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.