Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Anyone else still having issues with their watchlist, and favorites? Every so often mine still keep disappearing. And then afterwards I end up having to redo everything.

EDiTOR9

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
South Bay, CA
It's been mostly buggy for me. I continuously get the multiple streams error message, I also randomly get an error message that says that the channel I'm watching is not available to stream despite having watched it for the last hour or so.

I'm still going to do the 3 months free Apple TV offer though. Right now I'm just doing a 7 day trial on a separate emai account.

I wish there were a user guide as I keep forgetting how to bring up the menu.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
On the Fire TV it is a disaster buffers all the time with that stupid blue box then Error 40. The ATV is much more manageable. Just a few mini pauses. Which is why I reconnected it even though the touch remote drives me crazy I hate it. since there is no app for the Roku.

Reactions: magicman32

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I was repliying to another post about where to find the list. Look at the bottom of the list for the following. I just think COMCAST who owns NBC does not allow it except on Mobile and Desktop everywhere.

**NBC live stream available on mobile and desktop devices only.

Comcast may not have agreed yet to allow DirecTV Now subscribers to stream NBC programming live through Apple TVs and similar devices. But it apparently does allow NBC to be streamed live through such devices, and not just through mobile devices, by Playstation Vue subscribers - at least, in some areas.

I have Playstation Vue and I'm able to watch NBC live through Apple TV. ABC, however, is on-demand only in my area.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Anyone else have issues authenticating HBO Go with your DTVN credentials?

At first, I had to turn blocking/cookie restrictions off, then finally got the login popup, and it didn't accept the credentials.

Then I tried it on my Mac instead; same deal, it says it doesn't know my account, which is BS, because I can log into the DTVN site with no problem.

I noticed it goes thru a third-party service, so I suppose they could be having issues.

Growing pains, I guess.

Another thing I noticed is that the Max Go app isn't available on the ATV App store. It must be purchased from the iOS App Store, and then installed. I don't know if TW or Apple is responsible for that, but it is odd, and probably not the optimal "user experience."

Cable companies are a hassle, but cord cutting has its own kind of pains.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Anyone else have issues authenticating HBO Go with your DTVN credentials?

At first, I had to turn blocking/cookie restrictions off, then finally got the login popup, and it didn't accept the credentials.

Then I tried it on my Mac instead; same deal, it says it doesn't know my account, which is BS, because I can log into the DTVN site with no problem.

I noticed it goes thru a third-party service, so I suppose they could be having issues.

Growing pains, I guess.

Another thing I noticed is that the Max Go app isn't available on the ATV App store. It must be purchased from the iOS App Store, and then installed. I don't know if TW or Apple is responsible for that, but it is odd, and probably not the optimal "user experience."

Cable companies are a hassle, but cord cutting has its own kind of pains.
Not sure if you are confusing HBO Go and MAX Go with you issues or not.

1. MAX Go is only available on iOS. Not on Apple TV no matter how you install it. But I originally had a login problem with it on my iPad. But that was only for about 1/2 day. It required me to assign a special USERID.
2. HBO Go. I had no issues with HBO Go. I used my DIRECTV Now Credentials to login. And it has been on the Apple TV Store for a long time. I had to set a special USERID like MAX Go.
3. DIRECTV Now App was originally not on the Apple TV Store and you had to install on iOS and then it appeared on the Apple TV. However, pretty sure that was only early on the first day.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
1. MAX Go is only available on iOS. Not on Apple TV no matter how you install it. But I originally had a login problem with it on my iPad. But that was only for about 1/2 day. It required me to assign a special USERID.
2. HBO Go. I had no issues with HBO Go. I used my DIRECTV Now Credentials to login. And it has been on the Apple TV Store for a long time. I had to set a special USERID like MAX Go.
3. DIRECTV Now App was originally not on the Apple TV Store and you had to install on iOS and then it appeared on the Apple TV. However, pretty sure that was only early on the first day.

I'm new to the ATV game (came via the DTVN deal). From what I've seen thus far, the ecosystem is neither as well developed, nor supported as iOS, but that's not surprising. First hitch was the ATV not making server connections on the stronger 2.4GHz network (no issues with other devices) in that room. Had to switch to the weaker 5GHz network before it could connect to update the OS and verify my Apple ID.

For a company that likes to impose all kinds of store rules on its developers, the situation with Max Go on iOS but not ATV is puzzling. I realize that Time Warner ultimately bears that responsibility, but it doesn't contribute to the much touted "user experience," so one might think Apple would be concerned about that disparity and try to persuade developers to prevent such omissions.

The Watch is in a similar situation. Perhaps things will improve over time. Perhaps not.

Anyway, I tried again with HBO Go...no go. But what do you mean by "special USERID" for Max Go? Did it force you to create another one? I guess I'll find out...

Life on the bleeding edge, I guess.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I'm new to the ATV game (came via the DTVN deal). From what I've seen thus far, the ecosystem is neither as well developed, nor supported as iOS, but that's not surprising. First hitch was the ATV not making server connections on the stronger 2.4GHz network (no issues with other devices) in that room. Had to switch to the weaker 5GHz network before it could connect to update the OS and verify my Apple ID.

For a company that likes to impose all kinds of store rules on its developers, the situation with Max Go on iOS but not ATV is puzzling. I realize that Time Warner ultimately bears that responsibility, but it doesn't contribute to the much touted "user experience," so one might think Apple would be concerned about that disparity and try to persuade developers to prevent such omissions.

The Watch is in a similar situation. Perhaps things will improve over time. Perhaps not.

Anyway, I tried again with HBO Go...no go. But what do you mean by "special USERID" for Max Go? Did it force you to create another one? I guess I'll find out...

Life on the bleeding edge, I guess.
Apple TV is really very good. A lot of great Apps. USERID is for the HBO and MAX web site. Not related to DTV NOW credentials. Like a 8 character NAME. Not a big issue. A number of missing Apps that are on iOS. Amazon is a big one.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
The firestick experience is not as good as Apple TV. Could be I paid $25 for the firestick and Apple TV is $150

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
The firestick experience is not as good as Apple TV. Could be I paid $25 for the firestick and Apple TV is $150

I have no issues when I use my Firestick. I already posted this, but the DIRECTV app works fine on my Firestick. I had to drop the settings to 720p though. No issues though. All the other apps I run on the Firestick work fine also. I'm not really pro Fire TV or Apple TV. Both have their drawbacks, both do good things.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I found the solution to my HBO Go login problems.

Apparently, the activation service doesn't like long passwords, or those that begin with a special character.

Changed to a comparatively weaker password and it worked.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I haven't run into any issues with the app on my ATV. The channels change so fast that it's like TV on my 150Mbps connection. I just wish there was a way to switch through channels without going into the menu. Has anyone figured out if that is possible yet?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I haven't run into any issues with the app on my ATV. The channels change so fast that it's like TV on my 150Mbps connection. I just wish there was a way to switch through channels without going into the menu. Has anyone figured out if that is possible yet?
Other then swipe left and right (which is fast as you say) that is about it. The remote does not have a enter channel number option.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Other then swipe left and right (which is fast as you say) that is about it. The remote does not have a enter channel number option.
I was talking about it being quick to come on when selecting it in the menu. I had swiped down and up to bring up those menus but hadn't tried swiping left and right, lol. Thanks for the tip! It does need a way to quickly scroll through all the channels in the menu. Even if scrolling past the bottom scrolled back up to the top would be nice!
[doublepost=1481043836][/doublepost]For anyone wondering, I did some 10 minute tests on LTE and can extrapolate that it uses almost exactly 1GB/hr on the "better" cellular setting. But what was weird is that I got almost the exact same hourly figure (actually slightly higher) on the "good" cellular setting. Has anyone else tested this? Seems off, but it might depend on the programming. Both were done during the same show which seemed to have a pretty consistent look to it throughout (it was a reenactment of a bank heist on Discovery Channel or something).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Got around to setting up the app last night on my ATV4. It definitely is buggy. As I was watching NHL Network, the feed froze several times, then an error message popped up. I ended up having to close out of the app and open it back up. From briefly playing around with the app, I didn't see much On Demand content that interested me. I hope that changes at some point. I'd really love if they ultimately included NFL Sunday Ticket with the service, but I know that will probably take some time.

My experience wasn't horrible, but I got a free ATV4 out of it for paying for 3 months of service. I don't know if I will stick with it once the three months is up as we have a good cord cutter setup so far with subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, HBO NOW, Starz, and Amazon Video. So we'll have to see how Directv NOW fits into the picture when all is said and done (especially since we don't watch much live TV).

Reactions: tonyr6

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I've been testing both the Atv version of the Direct Now app and PlayStation Vue and I like Vue better the interface is a lot better for finding programming, has more shows available on demand,

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I've been testing both the Atv version of the Direct Now app and PlayStation Vue and I like Vue better the interface is a lot better for finding programming, has more shows available on demand,

I'm tempted to try PlayStation Vue. But at this point, I'd probably wait until after my three month prepaid period with Directv Now is over.

With that said, the app behaved much better last night. We primarily watched FreeForm with the 25 Days of Christmas and the feed did not stutter once, nor did the app crash (we also watched from 5pm until around 9pm).

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I'm tempted to try PlayStation Vue. But at this point, I'd probably wait until after my three month prepaid period with Directv Now is over.

With that said, the app behaved much better last night. We primarily watched FreeForm with the 25 Days of Christmas and the feed did not stutter once, nor did the app crash (we also watched from 5pm until around 9pm).

I was doing good watching this week. Till last night. Every channel I wanted watch had issues. I gave up after a while.

Reactions: tonyr6

bsholbrook

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Extremely light vod content and 72 hour coverage are absolutely pathetic. Wanted to love DTVN, but they have made it so darn tough to do so with all the issues and lack of content options.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Extremely light vod content and 72 hour coverage are absolutely pathetic. Wanted to love DTVN, but they have made it so darn tough to do so with all the issues and lack of content options.

Thankfully it's a week old and they gave everyone 7 free days to check it out.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Also the VOD content what they had would constantly tell me i was'nt subscribed for it, when i get those channels. PS Vue has been around longer i'm sure DTNOW will work out these problems, i just enjoy using VUE's more colorful and easier to navigate interface more

beachmusic

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
St. George Island
I like the DTN UI a lot better then PSV. When checking out the guide in Vue it just dances all over the place. DTV guide is just straight up and down. Having said that DTV now has problems with programs freezing and skipping. I usually just give up and switch to Vue. I will probable go back to Vue if DTN doesn't shape up. I went with DTN because of the 35.00 option and the Apple TV.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
This is pretty funny I signed up but after using it a couple of days I decided I was going to go with ps Vue instead , so I cancelled , today I figured I'd have a second look and they apparently shut me off so I don't get the remaining five days, black screen on all my devices. Wow

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
This is pretty funny I signed up but after using it a couple of days I decided I was going to go with ps Vue instead , so I cancelled , today I figured I'd have a second look and they apparently shut me off so I don't get the remaining five days, black screen on all my devices. Wow

That's weird. I cancelled mine and kept service until trial was up.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The service is temporary down right now (or as of 10 minutes ago).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.