Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
That is my favorite show and watch it all the time.:D

IMG_1550_zpslndwjo2z.jpg

Get the same message all the time. The App really sucks. Now I have an issue where the picture just freezes. If I try to back out I get the QP1502 message. Happened while watching the last lap of a SuperCross race.

I also get an error when I turn on the App. Whatever channel I last watched does not load, and then I get the error message. Worst App ever IMO.

Time will tell. If they keep the $35 a month as it is, I will keep it. If it goes up to $50, I'll be right back at the price of a basic cable or dish package. No thanks.

I also use a TIVO over the air DVR with an antenna. Gives me all the local channels. The $15 a month I pay for the service allows me to record shows not only OTA, but also access and search for programs on Netflix, HBO, Showtime via Hulu, and Amazon Prime all in one place.

I got rid of Hulu when I signed up for DirecTV Now. I know have:

DirecTV Now with HBO
Netflix
Tivo
Amazon Prime
Local Channels
My own media via Plex

All I need.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You cannot stream ANY NFL games on DirecTV Now. None. Anywhere, even in market. In LA I can't even watch Rams games.
Not sure what you mean. You can stream NFL games on ESPN (watched the Houston/Oakland yesterday) and any local station you may have (just not on your phone). I have FOX in Atlanta.

Reactions: IndianBird

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Not sure what you mean. You can stream NFL games on ESPN (watched the Houston/Oakland yesterday) and any local station you may have (just not on your phone). I have FOX in Atlanta.

He's furthering the myth you can't watch football on DIRECTVNow.

In this case, what you can't watch is an NBC Sports Live Stream simulcast event on DTVNow because NBC keeps those exclusive to their own app.

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Anyone know if there is a previous channel feature on the Apple Remote?

Secondly, how does one setup a watchlist?

You can slide to the left or right to go to the next/previous channel.

To set up a watchlist, go to the Home screen, then select your show (via the TV Shows, Movies or Networks icon), then click the +Add to watchlist under the show. I found the easiest way is to search available shows under Networks. You can also add them via the web site.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
You can slide to the left or right to go to the next/previous channel.

To set up a watchlist, go to the Home screen, then select your show (via the TV Shows, Movies or Networks icon), then click the +Add to watchlist under the show. I found the easiest way is to search available shows under Networks. You can also add them via the web site.

I'm wondering if he meant a button to jump back to the last viewed channel.

If that's the case, there is not.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012

In this case, what you can't watch is an NBC Sports Live Stream simulcast event on DTVNow because NBC keeps those exclusive to their own app.

With a Directv Now subscription do you get access to live streaming through all the NBC, Fox and ABC apps ?

If so, can you watch sports telecast through those apps when blacked out on Directv Now ? and even on the Apple TV apps for those networks too ?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
With a Directv Now subscription I'm assuming you get access to live streaming through all the NBC, Fox and ABC apps ?

Can you watch sports telecast through those apps when blacked out on Directv Now ? and even on the Apple TV apps for those networks too ?
Very Limited:

Can I use my DIRECTV NOW account to sign in to network sites and apps?

Yes, DIRECTV NOW subscribers can use their account username and password to access the following network websites and their respective apps:

Reactions: psylence2k

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
[doublepost=1483897946][/doublepost]
Very Limited:

Can I use my DIRECTV NOW account to sign in to network sites and apps?

Yes, DIRECTV NOW subscribers can use their account username and password to access the following network websites and their respective apps:

Wow, yeah that is very limited.

No. Channels pulls from the HDHomeRun devices only. To this point there is no single app that pulls in everything you subscribe to or own.

What type of antenna do you use ?

Also do you experience any type of freezing or buffering issues with Channels through your HDHomeRun ? and how does the whole set up with your antenna perform during bad weather and storms ? Any problems ?

Last edited:

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
What type of antenna do you use ?

Also do you experience any type of freezing or buffering issues with Channels through your HDHomeRun ? and how does the whole set up with your antenna perform during bad weather and storms ? Any problems ?

I have this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHYG9K/?tag=next6-20

It is at the very top of my home, up in the attic, roughly 30' above ground level. And placement did make a huge difference for me.

As for experience with AppletV, Channels, and HDHR...it is perfect. Having free OTA TV with availability throughout your home using 1 antenna is really unbeatable.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I have this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHYG9K/?tag=next6-20

It is at the very top of my home, up in the attic, roughly 30' above ground level. And placement did make a huge difference for me.

As for experience with AppletV, Channels, and HDHR...it is perfect. Having free OTA TV with availability throughout your home using 1 antenna is really unbeatable.

What are the pros and cons of the Connect vs Extend ?

Some sites make it sound like the extend is better for streaming to mobile IOS devices and maybe even the Apple TV. They say the H.264 is smoother format for those devices. I also am not sure how big of a bandwidth difference it would be compressing to H.264 and if it would really make a huge difference.

Also when you mention placement making a difference are you talking about in regards to different spots within your attic ?

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
What are the pros and cons of the Connect vs Extend ?

Some sites make it sound like the extend is better for streaming to mobile IOS devices and maybe even the Apple TV. They say the H.264 is smoother format for those devices. I also am not sure how big of a bandwidth difference it would be compressing to H.264 and if it would really make a huge difference.

Also when you mention placement making a difference are you talking about in regards to different spots within your attic ?

I've only every used the HDHR Connect, so cannot comment if the Extend would be better. The Extend does transcode on the fly, so may benefit you if bandwidth is a concern and/or you want to save recordings via DVR software (such as Channels DVR or Plex DVR). I have the Connect and am 100% satisfied with it. I am sure others can comment more.

As for placement, I was referring to placement of the antenna in various parts of my house. That antenna used to live outside on my roof above my garage, so about 12' above ground level, and reception was horrendous. I moved it to a different roof area, in fact even lower at about 8' above ground level and it was actually better, but still not great. Then I moved it to different areas of my house, settling on the attic, and in fact at the very peak of my roof inside the attic. The point is that you will likely need to experiment.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

I was using my phone and you are correct. On the TV I can watch NFL, in my market.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I've only every used the HDHR Connect, so cannot comment if the Extend would be better. The Extend does transcode on the fly, so may benefit you if bandwidth is a concern and/or you want to save recordings via DVR software (such as Channels DVR or Plex DVR). I have the Connect and am 100% satisfied with it. I am sure others can comment more.

As for placement, I was referring to placement of the antenna in various parts of my house. That antenna used to live outside on my roof above my garage, so about 12' above ground level, and reception was horrendous. I moved it to a different roof area, in fact even lower at about 8' above ground level and it was actually better, but still not great. Then I moved it to different areas of my house, settling on the attic, and in fact at the very peak of my roof inside the attic. The point is that you will likely need to experiment.

and you can stream fine to your phone/tablet with the IOS channels app too ?

Where exactly is the HDHR in your house and how do you run the cable from the antenna to it ?

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
and you can stream fine to your phone/tablet with the IOS channels app too ?

Where exactly is the HDHR in your house and how do you run the cable from the antenna to it ?

I've only streamed to my phone using the Channels app a couple of times, but it has worked perfectly. I also occasionally stream to my MBP using the HDHRView software, and that works well too. I am telling you, I used to have a Tablo, and cannot say enough about the HDHR Connect. Along with the ATV and Channels it is simply outstanding.

As for location, as mentioned my antenna is in my attic. The coax cable runs all the way down to my basement, so about 40'. I have my primary router, cable modem, a couple of switches, the HDHR Connect, and a couple of other devices mounted on a wall. The HDHR is connected via ethernet cable to a switch that is then connected to the Airport Extreme router.

I have 2 AppleTV 4s that are also connected via ethernet to 1 of my 2 switches. And I have another AppleTV 4 that is wireless. My son uses a Roku and streams using an HDHR "channel" (not to be confused with the Channels app) inside of Plex to watch live TV via Plex.

We have no stuttering whatsoever.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I've only streamed to my phone using the Channels app a couple of times, but it has worked perfectly. I also occasionally stream to my MBP using the HDHRView software, and that works well too. I am telling you, I used to have a Tablo, and cannot say enough about the HDHR Connect. Along with the ATV and Channels it is simply outstanding.

As for location, as mentioned my antenna is in my attic. The coax cable runs all the way down to my basement, so about 40'. I have my primary router, cable modem, a couple of switches, the HDHR Connect, and a couple of other devices mounted on a wall. The HDHR is connected via ethernet cable to a switch that is then connected to the Airport Extreme router.

I have 2 AppleTV 4s that are also connected via ethernet to 1 of my 2 switches. And I have another AppleTV 4 that is wireless. My son uses a Roku and streams using an HDHR "channel" (not to be confused with the Channels app) inside of Plex to watch live TV via Plex.

We have no stuttering whatsoever.

So you drilled holes through ceilings/floors to get your coax cable down to the basement ?

How do you run your ethernet cables from your router/switches in the basement to your two Apple TVs ? the same way ?

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
So you drilled holes through ceilings/floors to get your coax cable down to the basement ?

How do you run your ethernet cables from your router/switches in the basement to your two Apple TVs ? the same way ?
Yes, I ran wiring through walls/floors. It was not simple. But I've lived in my home for 16+ years, so the different wiring work was handled over multiple years/projects/upgrades.

For instance, getting an ethernet cable from my basement to my family room TV was simple. I already had a hole through the floorboard (but behind the wall) from other wiring, and I was able to run the ethernet through that existing hole.

Getting the coax from the attic to the basement was not so simple, but I did it several years ago, and likely will never have to touch it again.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Yes, I ran wiring through walls/floors. It was not simple. But I've lived in my home for 16+ years, so the different wiring work was handled over multiple years/projects/upgrades.

For instance, getting an ethernet cable from my basement to my family room TV was simple. I already had a hole through the floorboard (but behind the wall) from other wiring, and I was able to run the ethernet through that existing hole.

Getting the coax from the attic to the basement was not so simple, but I did it several years ago, and likely will never have to touch it again.

In your experience do you feel the switch/ethernet connections improve the HDHR and Apple TV connections in a huge way ?

Do you also have Directv now or any other television streaming services ?

drumguy1975

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
I may have missed this being posted before, so if so, sorry...

In using DTVN so far, my biggest problem is no DVR. The video, channel selection, etc are great. In using the app on the ATV, the 72hr rewind feature wasn't working at all for me, but now the seems to be being fixed tomorrow?

Regardless, in trying out the DTVN app on my iPad, it seems that there is an option to watch previous programs as there is a "SHOWS" tab on the bottom that lets me scroll through things and pick from the shows that I want to watch. Is there any reason that this feature is available on the iPad and not on the main ATV app? In playing around with the app, it seemed to work great.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

In using DTVN so far, my biggest problem is no DVR. The video, channel selection, etc are great. In using the app on the ATV, the 72hr rewind feature wasn't working at all for me, but now the seems to be being fixed tomorrow?

Regardless, in trying out the DTVN app on my iPad, it seems that there is an option to watch previous programs as there is a "SHOWS" tab on the bottom that lets me scroll through things and pick from the shows that I want to watch. Is there any reason that this feature is available on the iPad and not on the main ATV app? In playing around with the app, it seemed to work great.

It's on the ATV too. Swipe up while watching a show.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I'm wondering if he meant a button to jump back to the last viewed channel.

If that's the case, there is not.

Actually there kind of is.... If you swipe up on the remote you get a menu that includes a "What's On Now" section. Usually the channels shown there are ones I was recently watching. You can select one of the shows and quickly tune to it. Pretty much takes the place of a Last Channel button.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I've been looking into the HDHR and an antenna setup as well. In my location, OTA is a bit difficult, so an attic or outside antenna is probably necessary. Luckily, most of the transmitters are clustered in one heading, and my router is on the second floor, but I'm not eager enough to crawl into the attic, hang the antenna and do the wiring just to get CBS/NBC/PBS, which would be nice, but aren't high priorities.

I'm kinda hoping that AT&T will get better agreements by the time I'm ready...or Hulu or YouTube come along with better packages, LOL.

As far as the Connect vs. Extend, as mentioned the latter has built-in transcoding, so it provides more compact h.264 (vs. MPEG-2) streams. Presumably, that's also why the Extend only needs a N network, vs. an AC network for the Connect.

An ATV 4 will certainly handle h.264/AVC/MPEG 4 streams very well, but it should do fine with MPEG 2/ATSC as well.

On another note, does anyone's DTVN app mute the sound output on your iOS device after you quit or switch to another app? It does so on my iPad, even with the "Mute on launch" pref set to off, and it's quite annoying.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002

Fixed tomorrow? Where did you hear about this?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Well, I just came across my first dealbreaker tonight. This definitely won't work for me if I can't see awards shows which I like to watch.

IMG_1377.JPG

How absolutely stupid. Why? I can see absolutely no reason for this stupidity. This is why people hate the TV industry. It's a minefield that no customer/viewer should ever have to walk through in the first place.

Very disappointing.

Reactions: miamialley

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Well, I just came across my first dealbreaker tonight. This definitely won't work for me if I can't see awards shows which I like to watch.

View attachment 682583

How absolutely stupid. Why? I can see absolutely no reason for this stupidity. This is why people hate the TV industry. It's a minefield that no customer/viewer should ever have to walk through in the first place.

Very disappointing.

You ever thought about using HDHR ? It seems it would pretty much cover almost all the big main missing channels/programs with Directv Now.
[doublepost=1483931357][/doublepost]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.