Dirty Power

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jimmy.apple.fan, Feb 19, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Have read on these forums about dirty power.... Fluctuations.... Power surges/cuts etc being the biggest cause of iMac parts failures ?

Is it worth buying any adaptors to help protect the iMac I am about to buy....#.... Or are they self protected and just plug it into the socket like any other computer!! (UK based)

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Take it from someone in the know (I work for a company that makes power supplies), "dirty power" isn't a big issue in Western Europe. It may, in rare circumstances, be an issue in some homes, but usually only in very old or very poorly built ones.

Having said that, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you get an power strip with a fuse that is specifically designed to protect electrical equipment against surges. Some even come with additional insurance.

3. macrumors member

Forget the power strip if you are looking for protection from dirty power. If you need a few more low power sockets then a power strip is fine, but if you want protection from dirty power -> Use an UPS.

4. macrumors 603

With AVR, for that matter.

5. thread starter macrumors member

In your opinions how necessary is UPS?!?
    Do the majority of mac owners use them?

6. macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Best brand/technology there is bar none (SurgeX): http://goo.gl/Epfnz

It's the only true surge protection that nasa uses. Nobody else can use their method cause of patent.

7. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I'm sure you're right...that it is the best, bar none. And if you're launching the Shuttle, I'd definitely get one!

And for $269, it should not only be a super surge protector, but also be capable of performing exotic sexual acts for my benefit!!:eek:

:rolleyes::D

8. macrumors regular

Unless your power goes out a lot, and your lights flicker all the time, a UPS is only necessary for protecting your data when the power goes out. You wouldn't unplug your computer without shutting it down first, right? So a UPS prevents that from happening.

All your electronics should be plugged into a power bar with surge protection. If you have a breaker panel, you can probably install a surge protector there and protect your entire home, but those are fairly expensive.

I have a UPS for my mac because I leave it on all the time. I didn't have one for a long time and never had any issues.

In my opinion, the BEST reason to have a UPS is to keep your modem and wifi router on during a power outage so your other battery powered devices can still connect to the internet. That alone is worth the $60.

9. macrumors regular

1934hotrod

FWIW
    I have had computers in my home for 20 years, had a UPS back up, batteries always die 50 bucks a pop every couple of years. Got tired of throwing 50 bucks out the window, tossed the UPS.

Been riding bear back 15 years, 5 computers scattered around. Have had no failures due to power. So are they a necessity, if it will give you piece of mind then go for it, that would be the only reason for home use.

The biggest problem with power and computers is having enough outlets. I can remember when dating around the girls would always comment on all the wires my stereo had, bet every one of them are eating those words now LOL... My o MY how things change.

Cheers
    Greg

10. macrumors regular

I have a UPS, but that was purely because I was given it late last year. It is peace of mind knowing the poet is being cleaned, but I think in the UK, as a rule a good surge protector will be enough. It is all I would have been using if I had to pay.