Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Locks are too power hungry for rechargeable batteries. Schlage recommends those expensive high end Lithium Alkalines. I get more than a year out of mine.

Reactions: pup and Itinj24

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Well I hate to use anything other than rechargeables even if they don’t work as well.

I suppose I should up my battery game though - problem is that I have a drawer full of eneloops that still have a ton of life in them. But maybe just for the door lock I should get some lithium rechargeables, which at least should hold their voltage until they’re dead, unlike the eneloops that drop down below 1.3v in no time.

speedingcheetah

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
Hello. Came across this tread searching on this topic.

I use HomeBridge and a awesome plugin called "Homebridge UniFi Protect" that allows me to integrate my Ubiquiti Unifi cameras into HomeKit.

Since it set this up a couple years ago, i am running into this very annoying issue of my HomePod Mini (HPM) speaker always taking over as Home Hub over my wired and much better Apple TV 4K 2022.
When the HPM is the main hub, the cam feeds are slow to load and motion clips sent to HKSV often fail as the speaker's cpu is not nearly as powerful as the ATV or the wifi is slower etc.
The issues immediately go away when I unplug the HPM.

Apple still, does not have any setting to disable their smart speakers from being a Home Hub.
Very aggravating.

I tried setting the HPM on its own isolated wifi network, but then it fails to trigger most commands, and says that line that make sure you iphone is on the same wifi network as this device... :confused:

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have three AppleTVs that are capable of being a home hub, but HomeKit often decides to use one of my two HomePod minis as bridge instead... other day I missed answering doorbell because of this.
Only workaround I found is I can temporary block my homepods in my UniFi WiFi, and then unblock... this will make HK use one of the ATVs.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I swear Apple is trolling me. Before OS 17, any one of my hardwired AppleTVs would usually pick up the duties as the hub. If one wasn’t, a quick reboot of whatever HomePod would get it back to the ATV. Now I can’t get an ATV to be the hub if my life depended on it. Apple sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.