Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
My google bar has disappeared too and also my "empty cache" option under the Safari tab in the top tool bar area.

What's going on here? I don't like this. This all happened after my computer did a software update last night. How do I get it back?

By the way I'm using 10.7.4 if that helps at all.

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My google bar has disappeared too and also my "empty cache" option under the Safari tab in the top tool bar area.

What's going on here? I don't like this. This all happened after my computer did a software update last night. How do I get it back?

By the way I'm using 10.7.4 if that helps at all.

did you read my post?

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
did you read my post?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. However, I did not notice anywhere in your post addressing the matter of not being able to clear your cache, which is another point that I had brought up in my post.

Clearly things have changed and not all of us like this change and therefore was wondering if there is any way for those of us to go back to how it was before this change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Yes, as a matter of fact, I did. However, I did not notice anywhere in your post addressing the matter of not being able to clear your cache, which is another point that I had brought up in my post.

Clearly things have changed and not all of us like this change and therefore was wondering if there is any way for those of us to go back to how it was before this change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Launch Safari.
Open Safari’s Preferences by selecting (Safari Menu >Preferences)
Click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
Place a check mark next to ‘Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar

now in the new Develop tab Clear Cache should be in there

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Launch Safari.
Open Safari’s Preferences by selecting (Safari Menu >Preferences)
Click the ‘Advanced’ tab.
Place a check mark next to ‘Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar

now in the new Develop tab Clear Cache should be in there

Thank you iisforiphone, that worked and was very helpful. I wonder why the "empty cache" no longer shows up under the Safari tab anymore?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thank you iisforiphone, that worked and was very helpful. I wonder why the "empty cache" no longer shows up under the Safari tab anymore?

ya im not sure they also moved the old Activity window to that hidden by default Developer Menu, not sure the reason behind all those changes, they obviously thought they where cleaning up the menus but also hide stuff average joes like to use too

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
I understand that "change" isn't always a bad thing, but when it happens to people like me (who are somewhat technically challenged to begin with) it can become very frustrating.

Thankfully there are people like you who are willing to take the time to share their knowledge and experience with us. Without you, we'd surely be lost!

Thanks again.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Apple is iPhonifying the Mac user interface. The idea, I guess, is that someone using an iPhone would find it seamless to use the Mac, since it would operate the same way.

The problem is that most people expect a computer to act like a computer, not a phone. It is, as you've seen, a step in the direction of confusion, not clarity, because people are used to doing things on computers differently than on phones. Apple is a mobile device company now, and it will probably be someone else who brings out the next insanely great computer interface.

Developer menu...sheesh.

No Regrets

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
Apple is iPhonifying the Mac user interface. The idea, I guess, is that someone using an iPhone would find it seamless to use the Mac, since it would operate the same way.

The problem is that most people expect a computer to act like a computer, not a phone. It is, as you've seen, a step in the direction of confusion, not clarity, because people are used to doing things on computers differently than on phones. Apple is a mobile device company now, and it will probably be someone else who brings out the next insanely great computer interface.

Developer menu...sheesh.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. I've got to say, I'm still not happy with this change! It may be due to my inability catch on to most things technical, but the thing that has stumped me is this......

When the old google address bar was available, I could seach a site using that and if that site would have a link within it, I could go visit that particular link and when I was finished with that link, simply hit the top left little red button and close out of the link, but still remain at the previous site. NOW if I visit a link within a site and close out of it, IT CLOSES MY ORIGINAL SITE and TAKES ME COMPLETELY OUT OF SAFARI. I lose everything and have to start over. That really bugs me to no end.....it never use to do that to me before.

Maybe there is a way for me to do things differently to circumvent this outcome, but up to now it is unknown to me. Any ideas out there?

Thanks much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.