Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ullanta

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Here is the way I had to recycle my Mac Pro Tower

All we really wanted was the same thing, with a modernized interior, right?

Attachments

• IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 273

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I'm turning mine into a beast of a modern computer. It's still one of the most iconic and good looking computers! I haven't been able to find a case that looks quite as nice...

Seems like he could've done something cool at least with the insides of the cases, but even as they are, his set up is very pleasing to the eyes.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All of these computer turned furniture ideas look pretty hideous, IMO, except the fishtank iMac. The fishtank iMac looks really neat and if I had any fish or desire to have fish (or an unused horizontal surface in my house where I could put a fishtank) I would consider getting one of them.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Looks like crap to me. Quite tacky. Not as bad as a piece of wood on two cinder blocks, but a lot closer to that than otherwise.

Didn't bother to try to find out how much something like that would cost, but I imagine that upon finding out, it would most likely get a face palm and/or eye roll from me.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Here is the new Mac Pro in 10 years. As you can see, there is little modification necessary to upcycle. Though it won't hold much garbage, you can use it to finally pitch that ancient iPhone 6 Plus that has been gathering dust for years!

C'mon, you had to photoshop it? You couldn't use a real one? Such a pleb..:cool:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
In years to come a techy farmer may build a sheep pen with walls made entirely from up-cycled 2014 Mac minis.

In doing so, he will finally have stumbled upon the only way to upgrade the RAM after purchase.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
It just goes to show how ugly the new Mac Pro really is.

Because they aren't making ugly furniture out of it? :rolleyes:

----------

In years to come a techy farmer may build a sheep pen with walls made entirely from up-cycled 2014 Mac minis.

In doing so, he will finally have stumbled upon the only way to upgrade the RAM after purchase.

/dad jokes

I'm totally stealing that one.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Nice Idea

I checked ebay for the cases. What is the height and the depth of these? My wife will surely will not like them but I can always claim as a gift from a friend.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008

I laughed at this, then immediately felt sheepish… :D

rageguy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Nice, I have six Power Mac G5s doing nothing in the storage. I'll make a coffee table and maybe a computer desk out of them!

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010

This is it ladies and gentlemen. Humanity has reached it's pinnacle. All else is futile. We can just pack our bags now and wait to die.

It was a good run. *holds up champagne glass to toast*

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It's cool, sure, but my G5 is still a perfectly serviceable computer. Though I'll admit to having entertained the idea of finding a broken G3 iMac and making a fishtank out of it.

I tried that once, it's way difficult. You have to make a custom tank with a curved frontal pane, in order for it to match the curvature of the iMac's front bezel. There is a guy who makes them and sells them, or just sells the kit itself so one can transform his own iMac.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013

I can see there was quite a bit of fishing for that one, but I applaud you nevertheless.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Man, those are gorgeous. It certainly was a pretty case. Anyone know if the screw holes etc inside them are the same as in a standard PC case? I keep a powerful Windows PC for gaming, and I'd love to put it in one of those cases.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
That's really cool - I'd love to have a desk like that. Maybe I'll get a couple of MacPro cases on eBay and make one.

I would totally want mine setup so the DVD drawer is a cupholder!

Now that I think of it, the grill on the desk version should be hinged to open up for storage.

Also: +1 for wanting the file cab!

Last edited:

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
It would be cool if someone took one of these cases and made an actual cheese grater out of it. Probably done already... anyone with a link? :D

I don't think that would work--a grater needs a raised edge. However, it might work as a pasta strainer, or even an extruder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.