Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StopStand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
So I'm able to partition, and it would seem install Windows XP Pro on my MB.

But when I get to the Formatting the Windows Partition part of the Boot Camp guide I get a Disk Error every time.

Do I HAVE to slipstream in order for this to work or are there any other workarounds? I am really not comfortable slipstreaming.

I have a legit copy of XP Pro with a cd key and all that jazz.

I have had previous success installing a different copy of XP Pro on my MBP.

ill0gical0ne

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
I had the same problem with my mac pro... it would boot the first time around into the windows setup (old style gui), but when it would try to reboot into the windows setup (with keyboard/mouse control), it wouldn't work. It would only say "Disk error."

Sorry for the setup explanations; I don't know their actual names, but if you've ever installed XP before, you should know what I'm talking about.

ttriff

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Create the partition and format it using the Mac disk utility chose the FAT option. When you install XP (SP2) and it prompts you to format, choose "Quick Format" option and your install should go fine.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Do I HAVE to slipstream in order for this to work or are there any other workarounds? I am really not comfortable slipstreaming.
Have you considered using nlite to guide you through the slipstream?

You really do need to slipstream, there's something about SP1 or earlier that just doesn't like Macs. I don't recall a single success story in applying SP2 after installation.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Resolution

After creating a Windows partition in Boot Camp 2.0 in Mac OS X 10.5, then rebooting from the Windows XP installer CD, be sure that you format the Windows partition before continuing with the rest of the Windows XP setup process.

Important: Do not use the options named "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" or "Convert the partition to NTFS."

Ah! So the ever informative Windows Error message was saying there's something wrong with the hard drive partition, not the install CD and ttriff was on the right path. Brilliant! :rolleyes:

B

cpadude

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
I am getting the same error.

I first partitioned 10 GB off my hard drive using the Boot Camp Assistant. I then launch the Windows Installed with my legitimate OEM Win XP disc. It never prompts me to format the Boot Camp partition. If I delete the Boot Camp partition and then try to format, I have the usual options of NTFS, FAT, FAT(quick), etc.

So after I install the Win XP and restart when it prompts me to, it goes back into setup and then back to the screen where it asks me what partition I want to install XP on. So essentially it seems like the WinXP install disc is taking me on an endless circle.

So I power down, hold down OPTION, and then choose to boot from the new windows partition and I get the error "Disk Error", "Press any key to restart", and of course pressing any key does nothing.

Help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.