Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEGoat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Hi all,

Last week I've reinstalled yosemite, from scratch, no Time Machine back ups, all my docs and files in the cloud and a fresh new start for my mac. It worked. My macbook air with 128GB flashdrive got back from 20GB free space to 62GB free space after reinstalling everything I needed (oh except from MS Office btw).

However, my diskspace has drained over this weekend out of nothing. Downloaded no files (I looked at all my files sorted on date modified/created/added, but nothing there), but free diskspace dropped to just below 55GB. The only thing I did do is: use a folder of my external HDD as a source for my personal photo screensaver; this was a folder with 22GB of photo's. Maybe mac os x has been making system file back ups of these? (in the photo it shows that there are also back-up-files taking up room..)

Okay, my concern is: I don't want my diskspace eating by things I don't use or don't give permission to take disk space. Although I'm quite a relaxed guy most of the times, this feels kind of frustrating to me after reinstalling..
Key question: how can I track down where this diskspace has gone? Or: how can I remove potential back-ups of my mac from this personal screensaver thing (if this could be causing the draining of my flash-drive-space).

Hope you can help me out, since on the web I couldn't find a similar discussion about this..

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-02 23.51.49.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-02 23.51.49.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 29
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.