Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I am looking for a display to use with my Powerbook G4 12".
I am in love with the 30" cinema display, but according to technical support today, my setup is not compatible (supposedly, but the person on the phone didn't sound to sure). I have a mini DVI, but the 30" requires a dual DVI. I think the 23" display requires DVI, which I can attain with an adapter.
Does anyone have suggestions for what I can use with my computer? The bigger the better for me. Also what do you think of the older (plastic case) apple displays? I'm open to all brands and generations.
Thanks.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I am looking for a display to use with my Powerbook G4 12".
I am in love with the 30" cinema display, but according to technical support today, my setup is not compatible (supposedly, but the person on the phone didn't sound to sure). I have a mini DVI, but the 30" requires a dual DVI. I think the 23" display requires DVI, which I can attain with an adapter.
Does anyone have suggestions for what I can use with my computer? The bigger the better for me. Also what do you think of the older (plastic case) apple displays? I'm open to all brands and generations.
Thanks.

I have a 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 running the 23" Aluminum Apple Display. I have run the 17" Apple plastic case display off it and the 20" aluminum display. But this seems like the biggest bang for your buck with the 12" powerbook.

Make sure you have maxed out the ram to 1.25 gigs.

I'd upgrade the hard drive, too, to the fastest or biggest you can get in there. I have the fastest hard drive available... the Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm 100gb hard drive. But am thinking of the 5400rpm 250gig Western Digital hard drive (biggest ata ide hard drive money can buy)because the larger storage actually has it run just as fast as the smaller Travelstar drive.

Just max out the computer and you have a great set up. I am using this set up right now and even sold my mac mini because I like the powerbook running the 23" screen better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.