Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ismelito

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
They removed my message at the Apple Community Discussion Forums so let's spread this around here:

http://wh.gov/IoBJ

A new petition. I'm tired of fighting via telephone with Apple to try to solve this problem. Let's see if this time they do something right.

cFry

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
A few things to add this many years later: 1) the cooling system was flawed from the drawing board. the gpu heat sink uses the heated air from the cpu heat sink below it, automatically putting it behind on staying cool. It would have been so much better and not more costly to orient the heatsinks side by side vertically rather than horizontally, using the same amount of space. 2) neglecting to clean the lint build up between the cpu heat sink and fan causes the majority of permanent damage on all apple systems. 3) The thermal paste used on the gpu, just like the cpu, becomes hard and brittle offering terrible heat transfer properties. 4) These systems were designed with light duty graphic use in mind, and hd video/hd flash/ hd games were relatively new and became increasingly demanding as time passed.

I love this model mac, and will keep it running as long as parts are available.

Reactions: George Dawes

LuisDiazArt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016
I had this same issue after 3 years of purchase (2006) in 2009. Luckily I had Apple Care (3 year warranty) which replaced the logic board entirely and the faulty CD/DVD drive I had. I used the "SMC Fan Control" in 2012 because it started doing the glitchy thing again after I had it in a very hot environment (no A/C in the summer in Minnesota) and it improved this same model 2006 iMac for another 3+ years, but this year (2016) it has succumbed to the glitchy disease. It no longer can start up for a more than half and hour (If I'm lucky) without freezing and having to shut off. So in a sense I made an iMac that was suppose to last 3 years work for 10 years. R.I.P. 2006-2016 Best machine I've had even though it was because of the warranty not expiring and using the SMC Control. This machine though could have lasted a lot longer if it wasn't for this glitchy graphics card and poor design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.