Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Algoriddim's been in the business of turning iPads, iPhones, and Macs info full-fledged DJ systems for both pros and home mixers for years now, and as of today, the company's also ready to bring DJing to the wrist with the new djay app for the Apple Watch.

Built into the latest djay 2 iPhone update, djay for Apple Watch is an app that came to fruition after months of testing and experimenting with ways to bring a functional, ultra portable DJing experience to the wrist. Algoriddim's developers set out to distill the essence of DJing into an Apple Watch-sized package without compromising on function -- the goal was to create an app that could be used to DJ an entire party on the wrist.

djay1-800x694.jpg
djay for Apple Watch interfaces with the iPhone's iTunes music library, letting DJs select tracks from playlists and mix songs on their wrists. Several songs can be cued up and there are controls for navigating backwards and forwards and looping sections of a song, all in sync with the beat. A Glance view gives a quick look at what's currently playing.

Mixer and transition controls let DJs sync the beat of two songs and introduce crossfading to meld one song into another gradually. There are a set of audio effects that can be added to songs, and an Automix mode can be activated with a Force Touch press to let the app automatically mix songs from an iTunes playlist or Spotify with beat-matched DJ-style transitions. A Spotify Match feature like the one in the djay iPhone app will even find tracks that go well with the song that's currently playing in Automix mode.

djay2-800x686.jpg
Whether practicing on-the-go, mingling with guests at a party, or rocking out on the dance floor, djay on Apple Watch frees the DJ from the DJ booth and opens the door to completely new ways to mix tracks.

With djay on Apple Watch, users can browse their entire iTunes library plus cue up and mix their favorite songs, all while controlling audio effects and loops for each deck individually - right from their wrist. Or they can simply use Apple Watch to engage djay's popular Automix feature that pulls tracks from Spotify and mixes them automatically.
Along with djay for Apple Watch, Algoriddim is also launching a major update to its djay Pro app for the Mac. Free for all existing users, the 1.1 update adds live video mixing, bringing all of the features of vjay to djay, and it introduces support for several Pioneer CDJ and XDJ systems, popular equipment choices for professional DJs.

djaypromac-800x500.jpg
With support for the Pioneer CDJ, djay Pro is the first and only app that lets the CDJ interface directly with Spotify and iTunes playlists. The app's new video mode lets djay Pro users add visualizers to music and mix videos in real-time, with transitions, title and image overlays, and visual effects.

In celebration of the launch the new djay Pro Mac app and the Apple Watch app, Algoriddim is making djay 2 for the iPhone and the iPad free for the next week. That means all users who download djay 2 for iPhone will have access to the djay Apple Watch app beginning April 24.

djay 2 for iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store or free. [Direct Link]

djay 2 for iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

djay Pro for Mac can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Djay for Apple Watch Lets You Mix Tracks on Your Wrist, Djay Pro for Mac Gains Video Mixing

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
It s actually quite cool to have all of that accessible from your wrist in an easy to use User Interface.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Next up: Adobe announces Photoshop for Apple Watch.

This is insane. It's one thing to have this kind of app on a phone, where you might want to do the occasion tweak or test out an idea on the go, but on your watch!?

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
As I've said from day one, other then notifications, smart watches are useless. NO ONE will ever use apps like these.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Having a hard time getting my head around this.
I'll play around with it when my watch comes, but I'm a little skeptical. Mixing on a watch?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I used to use the original DJay app. when they came out with Djay 2, they disabled the original and you were forced to buy the new app if you wanted to use it. I refused to pay a second time. So now I will download this since its free. Hopefully they don't come out with version 3 and do this all over again.

As for the watch portion of this, I can see this being remotely useful if I am dancing and want to move to the next song, but already will have that with the apple remote. But if my watch ever arrives (i have doubts right now), i will certainly play with this and see how it goes.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Ok, this is getting silly. A DJ controller from your watch? I love the djay apps for Mac and iPad, but even the iPhone version is too small for me to work with. It’s cannot imagine anyone using the Apple Watch version.

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
This is getting tiresome; every front page article is :apple:Watch "click-bait".

Create an ":apple:Watch" page for all these articles on new apps, bands, shipping updates, inventory, reviews, etc. I'm not complaining about the watch itself, but the constant news on everything watch related has gotten tiresome. Soon the AMA will have ":apple:Watch Fatigue Syndrome".

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
They should let you control the iPad Djay app, use the watch as an extended controller for cue markers or special effects.

jlseattle

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
Gimmicky

This all is gimmicky. The kids will love this but it isn't a net functional value add. Soon we'll see the "That was easy" button added to the apple watch. lmao

$800 of fun and games. lol

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
This is ridiculous. If Apple's goal was to make the watch cut down on distraction, they didn't do a good job of it. This is not what the Apple Watch was supposed to be.

I can see it for personal use at home to control your music playlist, but for professional DJ-ing? No. Just HELL NO.

Apple should've been much more strict on the kind of apps allowed on the watch. And on another small note, someone posted a clip here of Cook and execs dancing to an outdoor live music event by Pharrell Williams and my god, do they look dorky doing that. These are the kind of guys that brought Beats into this company.

I've seen Djay and it's a good app that works well on the laptop or desktop screen. Disclaimer: I don't DJ but I've a good friend who previously has.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
This is ridiculous. If Apple's goal was to make the watch cut down on distraction, they didn't do a good job of it. This is not what the Apple Watch was supposed to be.

I can see it for personal use at home to control your music playlist, but for professional DJ-ing? No. Just HELL NO.

Apple should've been much more strict on the kind of apps allowed on the watch. And on another small note, someone posted a clip here of Cook and execs dancing to an outdoor live music event by Pharrell Williams and my god, do they look dorky doing that. These are the kind of guys that brought Beats into this company.

I've seen Djay and it's a good app that works well on the laptop or desktop screen. Disclaimer: I don't DJ but I've a good friend who previously has.

lol, do you have a link to that video ??

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
We've already had years and years of people trying to come up with useful apps for tiny little screens, for dumb cell phones. It took smart phones to make the screen real estate big enough to make them useful for all but the most simple games, alarms, contacts, and texting. The problem back then was dealt with adding keyboards and it still wasn't ideal (hence Blackberry's larger screen size along with phones like the sidekick).

Still waiting for anything close to justifying the hype. And I wonder how badly this will hurt the Apple brand when it finally sets in that this is nothing more than a designer watch, trying to be an upscale Swatch fashion fad for the '10's. I'm sure some will say, "Of course it's just a watch, only idiots thought it was something more," but they better just hope it doesn't become the butt of a joke about Apple fanatics willing to slap down hundreds on anything with a logo on it.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's sad that some do not have the vision or ability to imagine innovative uses for new and interesting technology. They only see limitations and roadblocks rather than potential. Fortunately, many do and they're the ones forging ahead with great ideas through a stirred imagination.

The others? Well, there's always safety sitting in a comfy chair with a keyboard and bag of cheetos ragging on new tech and people who choose to dream a bit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple's HIG says interactions on the Watch should be measured in seconds. Seems like Schiller's org is approving everything and anything just so come WWDC Apple can say they have x thousands of apps already available for the Watch. They really need to be following their own guidelines and not approving some of this stuff.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Djay for Apple Watch Lets You Mix Tracks on Your Wrist, Djay Pro for Mac Gain...

Found it...thanks!!! :D hilarious indeed!

For those who might be interested... https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21083082/

It's pretty easy to find :). Somewhat embarrassing to see how the Apple execs are like this. By the way, I suspect they gave him the gold watch in exchange for this live concert.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
This is getting tiresome; every front page article is :apple:Watch "click-bait".

Create an ":apple:Watch" page for all these articles on new apps, bands, shipping updates, inventory, reviews, etc. I'm not complaining about the watch itself, but the constant news on everything watch related has gotten tiresome. Soon the AMA will have ":apple:Watch Fatigue Syndrome".

How is it tiresome? I just don't understand.

I agree there have been a lot of articles - some I personally think are unnecessary. Others will be finding them useful. But how is it tiresome?

What's happening to you?

I read the headline - can take a few seconds, but nothing overbearing. And if I judge the article isn't for me I scroll on by.

Are you suffering from fatigue? Some other issue?

MacRumors posts about 10-15 articles a day, if the Apple Watch ones are bothering you I recommend doing something, anything else with your life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.