Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why do people even take these test ? It's not going to make a difference in what type of person you are.
It’s knowledge, even if it may be trivia, sometimes it’s more. My wife grew up not knowing who half her family was, and now she knows she has ancestry tied into the Founding Fathers, as in practically all of them, which is still trivia, but it is cool knowing. :)

To give an example of how misleading what is known can be, her Mom is from Boston, and her Dad grew up in South Texas, living in the prejudicial State that Texas is, presumed by many to be former Mexican, (anyone who is brown, even light brown) but the vast majority of her DNA is European, followed secondly by American Indian, with a smaller % from Spain than you would think, with the presumption it was Spaniards who colonized the Indians of Mexico.

From my studies at Ancestry, there seemed to be a lot of mixing. I grew up thinking I was 50% English and 50% German, on my Mom’s side both of her parent‘s ancestors immigrated to the US from Germany, Dad’s side England, but here is my DNA profile:

C457EA0C-AFD0-484E-91D2-F822A51B3F22.jpeg
Ethnicity Estimate
  • England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 73%
  • Germanic Europe 11%
  • Ireland & Scotland 11%
  • Norway 5%

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Most of those tests are gimmicks. This is a good watch.

This is a good report, but I would not classify DNA as a gimmick. It is based on science, but what is being marketed may not be as accurate as they sell it. Ancestry.com was most consistent between the twins in this report. And different companies have different databases and use different algorithms.

Ancestry is the company my wife and I did our tests with and over a period of time as Ancestry’s database has been updated, our results have shifted. I used to have 10% Italian and that is now gone. It’s best described as an educated guess, but is most accurate with the closer the relatives. For example my Father and a cousin are correctly identified as such. Post 53 shows my latest approximation.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
This is a good report, but I would not classify DNA as a gimmick. It is based on science, but what is being marketed may not be as accurate as they sell it.

I didn’t see anyone imply DNA science is a gimmick but rather the marketing of it by these companies.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I didn’t see anyone imply DNA science is a gimmick but rather the marketing of it by these companies.

What worries me most is how this information is then potentially abused.

It would not shock nor surprise me to hear that people have been refused insurance, or had their rates increased, due to taking these tests and certain pertinent information being sold on.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jwip

Suspended
Jun 17, 2020
This is a good report, but I would not classify DNA as a gimmick. It is based on science, but what is being marketed may not be as accurate as they sell it. Ancestry.com was most consistent between the twins in this report. And different companies have different databases and use different algorithms.

Ancestry is the company my wife and I did our tests with and over a period of time as Ancestry’s database has been updated, our results have shifted. I used to have 10% Italian and that is now gone. It’s best described as an educated guess, but is most accurate with the closer the relatives. For example my Father and a cousin are correctly identified as such. Post 53 shows my latest approximation.

The science is real, it's the marketing and what they offer that's more of the gimmick. I get it and while there is a lure of mystery to get people interested to find out more, what they offer is the gimmick part. Especially given that your results can and most like will change as their sample size grows. There is also the downside as pointed out, this info has the potential to be used against you in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.