Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Seriously, I am not fond of Thanksgiving nor Christmas. It's the same thing every year, and I have to see my family (which I'm not the biggest fan of, though I do love them). Further more I ahve the feeling that my girlfriend guilt tripped my mother into inviting her two sisters, and one of her sister's fiance and kid to thanksgiving. Tehse two sisters are irresponsible, annoying, and overall completely irritating. So now I ahve to spend tomorrow with all of them as well.

Does the whole "Holiday Spirit" just annoy the hell out of anyone else? Maybe it's all the hype and publicity of it... I just don't know.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I quite like the whole ideal of Christmas, however it usually exceeds that of the day itself. :( that and the fact that it starts in September :rolleyes:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I love this time of year.. and loving is the ONLY way to make it through sanely. So you better learn to like it! :)

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
The holidays are now made out to be about something that they aren't supposed to be about. (damn that was tricky...does it make sense?) I hate the commercialization of it, the marketing hype, the huge crowds of people who must spend $1000's to show their love. I hate dealing with annoying relatives as well, but I enjoy catching up with those whom I love. The focus should be in togetherness and not spending. I dread it because of what it's become.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
thankfully i don't spend the holidays with family, just parents brother and grandparents. That is all we do and well we enjoy being with each other to an extent.

Just that christmas costs so damn much these days :p.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
All my friends are leaving town.
I'm... chilling.. and watching one of their dogs.

...being alone during the holidays is crap.

and now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pick up men at the apple store.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
eva01 said:
thankfully i don't spend the holidays with family, just parents brother and grandparents.
Did anyone else find that a little oxymoronic?

I love this time of year and spending time wiht family. Well, I love spending time with my family anyway. The wife's family is another story. Not bad, just not as much fun as my family. Their more of the everyone sit down and talk type of family. <yawn>

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
katie ta achoo said:
and now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pick up men at the apple store.

Yes, that's what the holiday's all about!

Seriously, are there many singles at the apple store? ;)

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I love the holidays, I don't get to see my family as much as I would like to so it's nice to go home and spend time with everyone. Of course they do get really hectic, but as long as I can break out the Christmas music I don't care.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
The holidays for my family means the bestest food and fun times w/ the cousins (all 16+ of them :p). I could do w/out the questions and gentle nagging of the aunts/uncles though. :rolleyes: Mm, and I love Christmas-sy music. :D

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
Onizuka said:
Seriously, I am not fond of Thanksgiving nor Christmas. It's the same thing every year, and I have to see my family (which I'm not the biggest fan of, though I do love them). Further more I ahve the feeling that my girlfriend guilt tripped my mother into inviting her two sisters, and one of her sister's fiance and kid to thanksgiving. Tehse two sisters are irresponsible, annoying, and overall completely irritating. So now I ahve to spend tomorrow with all of them as well.

Does the whole "Holiday Spirit" just annoy the hell out of anyone else? Maybe it's all the hype and publicity of it... I just don't know.
Holidays....

(Retail)One holiday at a time! There was X-mas stuff out before Halloween stuff, and Thanksgiving stuff was almost completely non available this year, maybe I should have looked for fall/thanksgiving stuff in ?July?.
October - Halloween
November - Thanksgiving
December - Christmas | Hanukkah | Kwanzaa

I was truely disgusted last week, when up in SF, there were people already dressed llike some sort of Charels Dickens nightmare squaking and squeeling carols (in Mid November!) and the public spaces are already decorated for x-mas. I was so disgusted, that I actually said loud enough for surrounding people to hear me, "Shut the F! up, we havent even had Thanksgiving yet!"

X-mas over the past so many years has become completely obnoxious!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Corporate Greed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Corporations restructuring the Holiday seasons, in the way that best suits their needs, to make strong Profit. Opening the holiday shopping window earlier and and keeping it open longer, so that the branded consumer cattle can gourge themselves longer on consumer wares from the retail trough.
When the Pre-Holiday, Holiday, and Post Holiday shopping window comes to a close, the cattle are left empty and exhausted, the corporations fat.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Eevee said:
Seriously, are there many singles at the apple store? ;)

I'm there every saturday, aren't I? ;)

Pft. Usually it's rich boys with their girlfriends buying them a new iPod for their 3 and a quarter week anniversary.

The Galleria is in a REALLY rich part of town.. :p

That's why you go for the clerks, not the clientele!;):eek:

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
neildmitchell said:
Holidays....

(Retail)One holiday at a time! There was X-mas stuff out before Halloween stuff, and Thanksgiving stuff was almost completely non available this year, maybe I should have looked for fall/thanksgiving stuff in ?July?.
October - Halloween
November - Thanksgiving
December - Christmas | Hanukkah | Kwanzaa

I was truely disgusted last week, when up in SF, there were people already dressed llike some sort of Charels Dickens nightmare squaking and squeeling carols (in Mid November!) and the public spaces are already decorated for x-mas. I was so disgusted, that I actually said loud enough for surrounding people to hear me, "Shut the F! up, we havent even had Thanksgiving yet!"

X-mas over the past so many years has become completely obnoxious!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Corporate Greed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Corporations restructuring the Holiday seasons, in the way that best suits their needs, to make strong Profit. Opening the holiday shopping window earlier and and keeping it open longer, so that the branded consumer cattle can gourge themselves longer on consumer wares from the retail trough.
When the Pre-Holiday, Holiday, and Post Holiday shopping window comes to a close, the cattle are left empty and exhausted, the corporations fat.

So, I'm guessing you're annoyed as well.

Good, that makes two of us. DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS AND GIRLFRIENDS FAMILIES COMING TO YOUR PARENTS! NEXT YEAR, I WILL BOYCOTT ALL HOLIDAYS, INCLUDING MY OWN BRITHDAY!

And so should you. We'll start a trend and the collapse of America.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Personally I´m a big fan of x-mas, we are a small family and everyone gets along. I love the food and the atmosphere,
when the snow started falling at eleven o´clock at night x-mas day, the whole family went out with snow sledge until one o´clock! it´s the only time of year you´re guaranteed not to meet any cars so we go down a 2km long steep road outside my parents house, excelent:D
My brother have outgrown the old sledge a tad, he he

Attachments

• DSCN1992.jpg
    DSCN1992.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 287

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
katie ta achoo said:
I'm there every saturday, aren't I? ;)

Pft. Usually it's rich boys with their girlfriends buying them a new iPod for their 3 and a quarter week anniversary.

The Galleria is in a REALLY rich part of town.. :p

That's why you go for the clerks, not the clientele!;):eek:

Doing a little gold prospecting? :p

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I think that the trick to getting through family-craziness in the holidays is to do one of two things:

A. Have a cool family. Spend it with them.

or

B. Date/marry someone who has a cool family. Spend it with them.

Personally, I'm going for a variant of option B.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
Here's what bugs me about holidays: that's when Guitar Center has their big blowout sales, and I am invariably out of town in the boonies visiting my elderly mom. Ordinarily, it's no big deal, since ordinarily Guitar Center sales don't actually involve discounted prices, but this week I got a postcard saying everything in the store is 10% off on Friday morning. There's about $1200 worth of toys I've been eyeing -- but I will be out of town, so the point is moot.

Crikey

P.S: Guitar Center is an Apple dealer, but the small print on the ad lists some brands that won't be discounted and Apple is on the list.

P.P.S.: Guitar Center actually bugs me. It's like the Wal*Mart of music, only without the price advantage. It's always full of teenage shredders and punks, cranking up as loud as they can get away with -- the worst possible environment to evaluate musical instruments. But there are things they stock that my locally-owned quality-oriented music stores don't. And GC has been known to cut me a deal I couldn't refuse, or let me stay an hour after closing to play an acoustic instrument I was serious about.

L

Lau

MarkCollette said:
I think that the trick to getting through family-craziness in the holidays is to do one of two things:

A. Have a cool family. Spend it with them.

or

B. Date/marry someone who has a cool family. Spend it with them.

Yeah, I think that's it. Fortunately my family are pretty cool. I get on really well with them these days, and really regret the times that I didn't, especially since in the lst couple of years a good few of them aren't around any more. Sadly, in the last week my awesome granny (who is amazing and a total role model) has just been diagnosed with cancer, and needs an operation asap. She's hopefully going to be ok, but I don't know how Christmas is going to be this year. I'm not really even thinking about the holidays yet, because it seems too presumptuous, if you know what I mean.

Stuff like this makes you realise a) that your family's pretty cool and b) that the whole holiday isn't that important. If it gets put on hold this year, so be it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I kind of like them, can do without certain family members but really hated a Salvation Army Santa ringing his bell in the exit vestibule of the supermarket last weekend. When he looked at me, I told him to come back after Thanksgiving.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I love everyone in my extended family, and we all get along very well. We all look forward to the holidays. Since we are not BIG on gifts, the Commercial aspect of this time of the year, doesn't really affect us!

Well except me, I am buying my Mom an iPod :) .

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
The mad rush before the holiday? Meh, I can take it or leave it. I do enjoy the holidays themselves, though.

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
My husband calls all the mindless and obligated activities "visit til you puke".

Not talking about things you want to do but things you HAVE to do. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.