Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricByer

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Long time reader, first time poster.

The Long Version:

I'm in grad school (it's safe to say it's not a tech-based program :p) and might need a medium through which to display a professional portfolio in a year or two. Rather than wait until that time and have to scramble to figure all this stuff out, I figured I'd start this process now and give myself sometime to play with this and hopefully develop a better understanding of the process.

I've purchased a domain and, for the time being, I'd just like my domain to display my Tumblr. Do I need hosting of any sort?

Thanks to MR, I've already purchased the domain through register.com and, if need be, I think I'll go asmallorange.com for hosting.

TL;DR Version:

I have a domain. I have a Tumblr. I'd like my domain to display my Tumblr. Do I need hosting?

EDIT:

Looks like I'm in business. My Tumblr appears to be redirecting to my domain now. Glad I didn't need hosting.

Last edited:

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
EDIT: Looks like I'm in business. My Tumblr appears to be redirecting to my domain now. Glad I didn't need hosting.

I've been with Dreamhost for nine years and, while I absolutely love them, you're right that you probably don't need them. I still like their domain management and host my own email with them (Google Apps is a mess), but I use Tumblr for my personal website.

Best wishes with your portfolio!

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.