Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I use my 12" PB pretty heavily, often leaving it on for hours and hours at a time.

Do I need one of those laptop cooler platforms? Does it really make a difference? why should I pay $30 for a piece of aluminum that raises the laptop up?

Do I need to get one with fans?

which do you recommend?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
yOyOYoo said:
I use my 12" PB pretty heavily, often leaving it on for hours and hours at a time.

Do I need one of those laptop cooler platforms? Does it really make a difference? why should I pay $30 for a piece of aluminum that raises the laptop up?

Do I need to get one with fans?

which do you recommend?
Personally i would only recomend it if you want to raise your computer up to eye level. For cooling im pretty sure it would make the comp run cooler but i dont think its a necesity.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I use the iCurve and i got it for 30 bucks from jr.com (one of my new favorite sites). My only deal is that i use the program "temperature monitor" and i don't see that significant of a change in the operating temperature, but the system itself is cooler to the touch... I recommend it to anyone with a PB, especially the 12". I love the bluetooth keyboard that i got from jr.com as well. I'm also using a logitech mx310 and i love it. Maybe you should give it a whirl... what the heck... i've never heard anyone say... man, i sure hate this iCurve, it was such a waste of money...

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
It's also better to play safe if you value your powerbook, i feel. If your powerbook is always kept in an air-conditioned area, the need might not be that great. Alleviate it should be enough, those with fans might be a little of an overkill but as always if you need to play safe.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
Yeah, the stands may have real cooling benefits, hard for me to say, but the benefits I am more aware of have to do with simply raising the screen to a more confortable level when I'm at my desk. I like the iCurve because it leaves space underneath for peripherals. However, it does mean I have to use a different keyboard, even though I prefer the one on the PB ...

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
CA
munkle said:
I use two thick books to raise my PB and allow some airflow underneath...same effect, cost = free.99 ;)

sounds good to me!

I just don't feel good about the idea of paying $30-40 for a piece of aluminum that raises the laptop 1 inch up.

Although there are some pretty cheap ones on ebay...

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I love my Road Tools PodiumPad... rugged, small. It pivots and you can change the elevation, good for typing.

If your computer is running the CPU at 100% all the time, it could increase the lifespan of some components, although there isn't much documentation for this taht I know of.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I guess this is maybe a stupid comment, but how much does your fan run? If your fan doesn't turn on often or at all, I'm thinking your current setup is allowing your PB to cool adequately, isn't it? :eek:

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
You probably don't need one. I am constantly using my 15" PB, and it's fine. If you have the $, sure why not. But it's probaly not worth it.

I like munkle's idea and would pay him $30 for his suggestion! :p

Boobs

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2004
Worldwide
I use a checkbook box and set my PB on it at an angle. The checkbook box butts up to my scanner so it doesn't slide anywhere. Just another cheap out suggestion. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
My PowerBook is on a wooden desk, and the fans don't really run at all. They come on sometimes but that's with heavy usage and go down after a bit.

So I'm not getting one. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.