Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
For travel purposes, will a large Max-sized phone suffice for a techtress? I am generally a small phone person and my 13 mini resides in my jeans back pocket most of the time, though occasionally, in my purse. I was thinking that on a tropical vacation, a big phone might be able to take the place of my iPad mini, iPhone mini, Sony RX-100 VII camera, 14” MBP (just kidding, was going to that leave home anyway). I could carry it in a fanny pack or purse as it will be a bit warm for jeans, and I might even wear a dress 🙄. I prefer to travel light so the idea of tech consolidation is very appealing. The Watch will come regardless.

Also, part of me thinks security will be better with just one device to monitor, especially one that has some pretty strong native anti-theft features (the difficulty in making a stolen iphone anything other than a pretty brick).

I will use it for a phone, camera, Kindle, email, internet searches, etc.

Thank you for your collective wisdom!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I prefer two devices while traveling, for redundancy. Dropping my phone (or having it stolen, or it just breaking, or whatever) at home isn’t that big a deal as there are repair/replacement options readily available. But if it happens on vacation, you’re stuck until you get home. My iPad mini went with me on a cruise recently, fortunately nothing happened to my phone but if it had, I’d have been able to still take pictures, communicate, etc with the iPad.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
13 Mini plus iPad Mini would be my choice over a bulky iP15 Pro Max, after all, there is a reason why you didn’t buy one till now…

But if for whatever reason you must get new phone, then better choice would be regular 15 or 15 Pro.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If it were me, I’d stick with bringing the 13 Mini, iPad Mini and the RX-100. You can always leave the Sony back at the hotel/Airbnb and just use your iPhone Mini for pictures when you’re out.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
I prefer two devices while traveling, for redundancy. Dropping my phone (or having it stolen, or it just breaking, or whatever) at home isn’t that big a deal as there are repair/replacement options readily available. But if it happens on vacation, you’re stuck until you get home. My iPad mini went with me on a cruise recently, fortunately nothing happened to my phone but if it had, I’d have been able to still take pictures, communicate, etc with the iPad.
Excellent point! Using my small Apple Watch would get old if the phone was unusable 😉.

FelicityW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
NY->CA->AZ->MI->AZ
13 Mini plus iPad Mini would be my choice over a bulky iP15 Pro Max, after all, there is a reason why you didn’t buy one till now…

But if for whatever reason you must get new phone, then better choice would be regular 15 or 15 Pro.
The Maxes are just too big? They are all fastened to the kiosk displays here and the nearest Apple Store is 100 miles, each way so I haven’t had the opportunity to test it “in hand”.

Approved

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2019
You can make a simple cardboard replica with any phone dimensions you want. The specs for the iPhone will list its dimensions.

I'd cut rectangles of corrugated cardboard from a junk box and tape them together. Layer them as needed for thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.