Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The worst thing about the 360 is all the Dashboard items look like crap in 1080P. The includes the actual main 360 menu, the friend log on popup etc. in game menus look fine, graphics look fine, but every time I see the menu I have to sit back further as it is so crappy, it's like 480P graphics or something. Then I go onto my PS3 and it is so crystal clear.

I preferred the blades interface of old 360 than the new theme. There are elements I like such as the new Avatar, but that's about it.

I think the reason why those elements look lower res / scaled during gameplay is that it uses less resources ? possibly.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I preferred the blades interface of old 360 than the new theme. There are elements I like such as the new Avatar, but that's about it.

+1

I mainly just use my xbox here at college for streaming from my mac, but I vastly preferred the blade interface over this 10 year old avatar crap.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
+1

I mainly just use my xbox here at college for streaming from my mac, but I vastly preferred the blade interface over this 10 year old avatar crap.

I like the new Card interface actually. It looks much better on my HDTV than the old blades. To me they didn't look as good on a large screen.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I like the new Card interface actually. It looks much better on my HDTV than the old blades. To me they didn't look as good on a large screen.

I think the new card interface on the xBox looks childish.

I like the pro look and feel of the XMB on the PS3.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

See I vastly prefer the Xbox interface to the Playstation one which I feel is lifeless and frankly annoying to navigate.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
See I vastly prefer the Xbox interface to the Playstation one which I feel is lifeless and frankly annoying to navigate.

What's so hard about navigating the XMB? Is it because you've gotten used to the xBox navigation because there is nothing wrong with navigating the XMB and it has never annoyed me.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What's so hard about navigating the XMB? Is it because you've gotten used to the xBox navigation because there is nothing wrong with navigating the XMB and it has never annoyed me.

Whoa there champ, no need to get defensive, I'm just annoyed by navigation on the PS3.

And its not a matter of getting used to, I can use any console with relative ease, I just don't like anything about the look and feel of the ps3.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA

Pro? I don't know about that. I don't like the menu system of the XMB. It's a media machine. I want it simple. I want the easiest tasks to do to be Play Game, Play DVD, Play Netflix. I don't really care about anything else.

Most of the items in the PS3 menu are settings. Things that I set and forget. I'm not constantly tweaking my PS3 because my TV and stereo don't change that often.

I don't really care about the look of the systems menus, but I've found it's really easy to do everything I need to on the Xbox menu. Once I start up (A) is play game/DVD. (Right)(Right)(A) Play movies over network. And (Up)(Up)(Right)(A) Play Netflix. I guess I'm just used to the Xbox interface. :)

What's so childish the Xbox interface? Is it because you've gotten used to the XMB look because there is nothing wrong with the Xbox interface and it has never annoyed me.

See what I did there? ;) Opinions are like... well you know. :)

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I do not know what PixelJunk is.
Not surprising.
I've never been a Nintendo fan (too bad too because I'm missing out on some great titles :rolleyes:)
If you ever get over this crippling case of fanboyitis, you should really check them out. They make fun games.
Keep in mind too that blu-ray vs dvd isnt just about swapping, just look at FF13. The ps3 version is all uncompressed and gorgeous whereas the 360 version had to have the life compressed out of it just to fit on 3 dvds.
The main reason why FFXIII looks worse on 360 is the same reason why (insert multiplatform game here) doesn't look leaps and bounds better on PS3: the developers. There is no question that 50GB on one disc is great to have available, but if the developers are going to do a poor job utilizing that space (or lack of), it really doesn't mean much.
I'm guessing its a joke. A bad joke, but a joke nonetheless.
possibly.
Here it is straight from the horse's mouth. Not a joke....
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/
I've never really put much thought into ANY console's dashboard. I see it for about 2 minutes a day, so it really doesn't matter. The PS3 has the best user interface currently, in my opinion, but it goes largely unnoticed.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I love the PS3 menu. All my downloaded games are there, I don't have to go into two separate menus to find them, and the animated themes are awesome. The 360 has too many sub menus to get to everything.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Pro? I don't know about that. I don't like the menu system of the XMB. It's a media machine. I want it simple. I want the easiest tasks to do to be Play Game, Play DVD, Play Netflix. I don't really care about anything else.

Most of the items in the PS3 menu are settings. Things that I set and forget. I'm not constantly tweaking my PS3 because my TV and stereo don't change that often.

I don't really care about the look of the systems menus, but I've found it's really easy to do everything I need to on the Xbox menu. Once I start up (A) is play game/DVD. (Right)(Right)(A) Play movies over network. And (Up)(Up)(Right)(A) Play Netflix. I guess I'm just used to the Xbox interface. :)

See what I did there? ;) Opinions are like... well you know. :)

Yeah, I know what opinions are. That's why I was asking what was wrong with the XMB.

To me, the XBox menu looks like a cartoon, but the PS3 menus are stylish and more professional looking (muted colors, crisp icons, not cartoony). I noticed the XBox menus are bright annoying green with bubbly card shaped things with huge text and cartoony looking pictures.

Of course, that's just observations by me. I still fail to see what is so bad about the PS3 menus. It's not hard to navigate for me. It's quite simple and original.

By the way... I actually prefer the PS3 navigation over the Apple TV navigation too. Love the responsiveness of the menus.

Also, once I start up the PS3, it's on the game menu. All I have to do is press (x) to play the game. If I wanna watch a movie, I just put one in (starts automatically) or I can press (left) once and hit (x).

And what do you mean that most of the menus are settings? What are you talking about? There's only 1 settings menu and all you have to do is set them once and forget about them. Then you can browse to your media. It's in very easy reach as far as I'm concerned. I still don't see how the PS3 navigation is any worse than the XBox.

Also, I never said that the XBox was hard to navigate... I just don't like how it looks.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I noticed the XBox menus are bright annoying green...
You can change colors and themes on the 360. You realize this, right?
...with bubbly card shaped things with huge text and cartoony looking pictures.
PRO™
ps3-xmb-consideration.jpg

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
The main reason why FFXIII looks worse on 360 is the same reason why (insert multiplatform game here) doesn't look leaps and bounds better on PS3: the developers. There is no question that 50GB on one disc is great to have available, but if the developers are going to do a poor job utilizing that space (or lack of), it really doesn't mean much.
Lets look at this a little closer. We are talking about Square Enix. Arguably the most talented RPG developer since the dawn of video games. Sure, the in-game graphics probably look worse on the 360 because they built the engine for the ps3 then ported it over, but that has nothing to do with disc size. A poorly ported engine doesnt take up more or less room (any significant amount) than a well coded engine.
The problem with the 360 is that the DVD cant hold all the pre-rendered cutscenes, and there are quite a few of those. No matter how talented a developer is theres just no compression algorithm that can cram a blu-ray onto a dvd and make it look pretty. The reason the 360 version of FF13 looks worse is simply because there wasnt enough space.
Here it is straight from the horse's mouth. Not a joke....
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/
Sony has been known to pull (terrible) april fools jokes. They have no sense of humor. No american sense of humor, maybe the japs find them funny, idk. We'll find out in a few days i suppose.
I've never really put much thought into ANY console's dashboard. I see it for about 2 minutes a day, so it really doesn't matter. The PS3 has the best user interface currently, in my opinion, but it goes largely unnoticed.
This. I dont dick around my Wii or PS3's interface, i get right to whatever game i want to play. Every console i've used seems to get the job done. Sony likes their minimalism, MS likes to be flashy, and Nintendo is all about being simple and smooth. All get me to my game.
If i had to choose i'd vote for the Wii's interface. Its simple, but its just so much fun to use.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
You can change colors and themes on the 360. You realize this, right?

PRO™
ps3-xmb-consideration.jpg

I can't help what people make for their avatars. By the way... how'd you get their stats to show up like that? I don't have mine like that.

Oh, and no, I don't spend enough time with the xBox to know about the color changing options. I was just going by what I've seen on every xBox I've ever seen (stores and other people's houses). They've always left it green. That's just one of the things I don't like about the UI.

By the way... nobody mentioned that PS3 will be a little cheaper in the long run because you can buy all your games USED. Blu-rays do not scratch easily. I've never seen a scratched used game and I've already purchased a ton of used games for PS3. It's a well known fact that Blu-ray is a lot more durable than DVD. That's just another win for the PS3.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I can't help what people make for their avatars. By the way... how'd you get their stats to show up like that? I don't have mine like that.

Oh, and no, I don't spend enough time with the xBox to know about the color changing options. I was just going by what I've seen on every xBox I've ever seen (stores and other people's houses). They've always left it green. That's just one of the things I don't like about the UI.

By the way... nobody mentioned that PS3 will be a little cheaper in the long run because you can buy all your games USED. Blu-rays do not scratch easily. I've never seen a scratched used game and I've already purchased a ton of used games for PS3. It's a well known fact that Blu-ray is a lot more durable than DVD. That's just another win for the PS3.

+1 about the stats.

I just remembered something I don't like about the Playstation menu. What's with the PSN logo being out of uniform with the rest? That bugs the crap out of me. Overall, it's not bad. I just like the Xbox one better because I'm probably more used to it. Also, it's far more visual than the PS3 menu which is all text. I find that because of this it lends itself to quick navigation. I am a mostly visual person so I like it.

And as for used games... I've never had an issue finding used Xbox games. I've also never had a problem with scratching any game disks or DVDs. Except when my friend kicked over my Xbox while playing Halo 3 and destroyed it, but that's hardly the disks fault. Don't worry, he gave me his copy.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Lets look at this a little closer...
No, I get why the game looks worse on 360 from a technical standpoint. But as you said, they are one of the biggest RPG developers, and using multiple discs is not something unusual for this genre. Lost Odyssey, which came out 2 years ago for 360, was on 4 discs. Given that the fairly linear progression FFXIII has, I personally see no reason why they couldn't have used 4 discs as well. Using 4 would give them ~28GB to work with. With it being said that the BD version of XIII uses ~37GB, only having to compress the game down ~9GB instead of ~16GB is a big deal.

I don't want this to come across like I'm saying all developers are lazy. That isn't the case at all. They have limited budgets and limited time, so they do what they can. But, given that FFXIII has been in development for such a LOOONG time, the process to get it on 360 was practically an afterthought. So, they didn't just slack on it, but to say that the dev process was equal across the board, and the lower visuals are a perfect indicator of anything is a little off, in my opinion.

Like I said earlier, this is the same reason why every multiplatform game doesn't automatically look better on PS3. Given enough time and resources, they all should. With a more powerful system, and 50GB of space to work with, Modern Warfare 2 (or Madden, or Assassin's Creed, etc) on PS3 should absolutely blow the 360 version out of the water. The textures could be much higher res, the audio a higher bitrate, characters with much higher polygon counts.

But, in the real world, where development cycles are short, and budgets are even shorter, compromises have to be made. I agree that DVD is a limiting factor from a technical standpoint, but to use FFXIII as the cornerstone of that argument is sort of sidestepping the real issue, in my opinion.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
By the way... nobody mentioned that PS3 will be a little cheaper in the long run because you can buy all your games USED.

Haha what. All my second hand 360 games and trades have worked just fine thanks.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I can't help what people make for their avatars .... Oh, and no, I don't spend enough time with the xBox to know about the color changing options. I was just going by what I've seen on every xBox I've ever seen (stores and other people's houses). They've always left it green. That's just one of the things I don't like about the UI.
Again, there is your problem. You haven't used the system to really understand what it can do, or how to fully use it, but yet you form your opinion in such a way that you act like you have. I think that is why MRU is getting after you. It is one thing to fully understand something, and not choose to use it. But, to just dismiss something, or claim things as fact when they aren't, without direct knowledge of it is where the "fanboy" tag comes from.
By the way... nobody mentioned that PS3 will be a little cheaper in the long run because you can buy all your games USED .... That's just another win for the PS3.
You can't buy 360 or Wii games used? News to me. That is quite the scoop you got there. Better submit that to all the news outlets.
By the way... how'd you get their stats to show up like that? I don't have mine like that.
+1 about the stats.
That isn't my image. I was simply using it to show that the PS3 isn't immune to "cartoony" looking stuff on their consoles.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Good for you, but Blu-rays are more scratch resistant than DVDs. That is a fact. Blu-rays are protected better from scratches. Just because you never got a scratched DVD, doesn't mean that it's not something to think about.

Haha what.

But that doesn't mean you're going to save money buying used games for a PS3 over a 360. That would only be the case if there was shortage of used 360 games, but that's not the case.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't think you can characterize Mas users as going for any particular console. I chose the 360 mostly because of Halo, but there are a string of top quality games I'm enjoying.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
Good for you, but Blu-rays are more scratch resistant than DVDs. That is a fact. Blu-rays are protected better from scratches. Just because you never got a scratched DVD, doesn't mean that it's not something to think about.
I guess we can tell Gamestop and all those other places that they can get rid of all of their used PS2 inventory. Those games are probably unplayable now, especially now that Blu-ray is out. :rolleyes:
You are using THAT for your shining example of the fragility of DVD?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Consumer: Hey Honda, I poured maple syrup in my engine, but then in broke. Why does your stuff suck?
Honda: Where in the owner's manual does it say to use maple syrup instead of motor oil?
Consumer: It doesn't, but I thought I would do it and see what happened.
Honda: You are an idiot. ****

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^
I wonder if knowing the PS2 was the least tough console of last generation made him stop buying one?

You're wrong because it's something I've never had to think about. Game shops test second hand discs, if they don't work they don't accept them.
In my 18 years of playing home consoles I've lost £0.00p from unplayable discs/media.

I guess you must really love GB, GBA and DS games since they can't be scratched, or does this logic of yours have boundaries there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.