Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Pretty sure the M3 is delayed/will only show up in a few models initially. ALSO. M3 will be a newer chip architecture. So it may have teething problems. First adopters are always taking a risk. Franklyā€¦.Iā€™d wait for the M3.5. ā€”ā€” The M3 will only be around 30% better than an M2. What is that? A few seconds faster in everyday interactions? But I say this as a new owner of an M2 Air. ;)

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
I bought my M2 MBA 10C GPU last Autumn and will never regret as it is freakily fast for my needs and the best Mac for Decades.

Yes i decided 16GB Ram and 1TB NVME so i am good for a long time if it stays functional.

It can also handle 3 VMĀ“s with Ubuntu and 1 Win11 Arm while having up to 5 Browser ( many Tabs ) and many additional Apps open @ the same time + Multiple WebRTC / Conference with no Delay.

M3 might be faster... do i need it ? NO!

Did i wait for M2 last Year ? YES.
Would i wait for M3 if planing to purchase this Year ? Maybe.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If you need a new computer now, buy now.

If you don't need a new computer now, don't buy one until you do.

It's really very simple.
100X THIS.

After holding out as long as I could, I just purchased a MacBook Air M2 last month - too much uncertainty for when M3 will be announced, let alone hit the streets for products that we can buy.

And it would have been impossible for me to delay until next year - when I think M3 will actually be released.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
For the average user, the M1 is still very capable. Of course M1 will 3 years old soon, but it shows how powerful Apple Silicon is. I bet you a majority of the users won't notice a major speed difference for the activities they do. Just buy the computer you need today, not the one you want in the future.

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
I just bought an Intel 2020 27ā€ iMac. I love the apple silicon chip, especially for laptops, but this Mac is still amazing (especially with the large screen).

I bought this because ive been waiting for a big screen all in one with an apple silicon chip to be released and I got tired of waiting and now Iā€™m happy.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
According to this article - pretty much everyone should hold on any purchases until the M3 arrives. šŸ¤”

using my Air M2 daily for IT work and it is a beast even fanless. If you need one buy, if you don't need it right now, wait for the newer ones.

SoupyTwist

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
UK
Apple is working on several new technologies for the MacBook platform [...] These range from finally moving the displays away from LCD to OLED, [to] adding 3D touch to the trackpad

Wow, that sounds like a neat feature. I should highlight "3D Touch" and press a little harder with my trackpad so I can find out more about it.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
According to this article - pretty much everyone should hold on any purchases until the M3 arrives. šŸ¤”

Except for Mac Pro, "Wait for M3" comments are generally bad advice. Forbes tech commentary is notoriously flawed, simply DNR.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
For the average user, the M1 is still very capable. Of course M1 will 3 years old soon, but it shows how powerful Apple Silicon is. I bet you a majority of the users won't notice a major speed difference for the activities they do. Just buy the computer you need today, not the one you want in the future.
Any new box is more than just the chip generation. For instance M2 improves WiFI, Bluetooth, etc. over M1; significant improvements. We expect no such improvements with M3, just routine performance/efficiency boosts.

Exception is at the highest end, specifically Mac Pro, where we do expect major architectural improvements concurrent with M3.

Reactions: phillytim

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I would say I use computers quite heavily - ie I push them harder than the vast majority.

I use a M1 Mac Studio Ultra as a daily driver and use a M1 MBP Max 14 for mobile. Neither of these computers hold me back, and I am still more than impressed by them.
No they dont compete with the 4090 in my PC for rendering, but neither will the M3.

It is which apps you use and their state of development for the M chips which holds the computers back more and not the hardware .

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
You'll be waiting at least a year to get an M3 15" macbook air. So, I'd rather use it for a year and then trade in than just waiting for the next one. (Or wait for the second iteration after M3.) Especially given how delays can come from anywhere.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

Technology always gets better with time. My advice to anybody looking to buy or upgrade is always to wait until you need it and then buy what you need to last you the anticipated lifespan.

I had the last 16 inch Intel MBP. I skipped the M1 Max and went for the M2. Itā€™s a great machine. Will I get the M3? Probably not but maybeā€¦

It really depends on the work Iā€™m doing and the benefits to my workflow.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Buy if you need it. Not for FOMO. I usually upgrade my MBP 5-8 years. I made an exception from 2019 Intel MBP to M1 Max. It paid itself with couple months of work, and I am not tied to my workstation.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Pretty sure the M3 is delayed/will only show up in a few models initially. ALSO. M3 will be a newer chip architecture. So it may have teething problems. First adopters are always taking a risk. Franklyā€¦.Iā€™d wait for the M3.5. ā€”ā€” The M3 will only be around 30% better than an M2. What is that? A few seconds faster in everyday interactions? But I say this as a new owner of an M2 Air. ;)
Yeah with how well M1 went regarding the M1Ultra not scaling well, I think itā€™s best to wait for the incremental releases now. Wait for M4 and NOT M3. Iā€™m still disappointed in the M1 Ultra scaling issues. Good thing M2 solved most of them which is why I upgraded.

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
It also depends on what you're upgrading from. If you have a Pro or Max chip then this upgrade isn't for you. This upgrade is primarily for people with the original M1 or older Intel devices.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.