Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do teenagers in your area say LOL

• Yes

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 45 46.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 20 20.6%

• Total voters

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Simple question really. Where do you live and do some teenagers and young people in your area actually say LOL as a word when they think something is funny? I'm just curious.

They do in Trondheim, Norway.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
not really, its more of a computer term. but it seems to be creeping back in cause of it.

lame kids would use it, not the cool ones

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
It's not widespread, but I hear it once in a while (not necessarily from teenagers though).

I'll confess I used to do it myself 5-6 years ago, but only around my friends who also did the same thing. Now I find it a bit ridiculous :p

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Teenagers? Adults that I work with say 'el-oh-el' from time to time.
I'm fairly certain they aren't joking.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Here they pronounce it as a word according to Norwegian pronounciation rules. And they say things like "That is just so lol" ("Det e bare så lol").

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've heard it once or twice... but then again I don't mingle too much with teenagers, except when I'm stupid enough to take the bus exactly around the schools start or end for the day (it's those times I really appreciate my iPod, BTW)...

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
I find it rediculous that people would actually use it seriously in an everyday conversation. I admit that i everyonce in a while, jokingly say it along with various other computer words, like BRB or LMAO. But we say them to make fun of the words cause it seems that everyone is getting too lazy to type a word out and now we are getting to the point where we have to actually say that we are laughing and not actually show it.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Actually my team at work uses it. And we're a bunch of 20-somethings.

Usually when someone says something in jest and the other person gets mad, person A inevitably says "JK, LOL??" To which usually there will be some groans and the occasional person say "OMG".

I'm not sure where all this started from, but its all done in a mocking and sort of rediculous way. I'd like to think its a bit of a statement as to how rediculous people have gotten with language and the advent of computers.
Although, the more we use it, the more I wonder... :rolleyes:

...And its "Jay-Kay", "El-Oh-El", and "Oh-Em-Gee" over here, for the record.

EDIT: ...Oh, and then theres been "Bee-Tea-Double You" and "Bee-Are-Bee" used once or twice too...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They are going to have to get used to saying it, because even face-to-face people won't be able to tell due to all their coming Botox injections. :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No. I'm my whole, entire existence in both Oldham, Saddleworth, Ashton, Manchester, Salford and Stoke-on-Trent I have never, ever EVER heard anyone say LOL. I thought you were joking at first. People saying LOL in real life? Just about ready for a Children of Men style extermination I think.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I hate "LOL" so much, that I never ever type it. Instead I'll just type "hahaha" or some equivalent. I wonder if the people who say it know what it actually means.

sb58

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2006
Hades
i've heard a couple people say it. it takes everything i have to not punch em in the head.

Hobofuzz

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2006
When I was in highschool me and my friend Mario would just randomly start talking really loud and LOL or ROFLMAO or even ROFLMAOTSFFINTLOLAOMGIGDOLNYSOAB!

Reallllly pissed off the teacher.

Mission Accomplished.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.