Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
better question, why would anyone need 8 megapixels unless they plan on printing their photos on a wall?

Although you technically could print iphone photos up to this size and they might just look okay (viewed from a suitable distance), my guess is that anyone who plans on doing this would be the kind of person who would have an SLR for the job, rather than a phone.

ben173

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Although you technically could print iphone photos up to this size and they might just look okay (viewed from a suitable distance), my guess is that anyone who plans on doing this would be the kind of person who would have an SLR for the job, rather than a phone.

apple needs it to make more money on the new iphone

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
@ Bobby Corwen
The screen size wasn't measured so I don't know how large the screen was. The design was borderless on the sides essentially so it looks like it would be easier to type.

@ elfy
Not sure about Megapixelage being an obsession since digital photography was first invented. I agree that the sensor size and raw pixel count doesn't mean much in today's world. I'm more of a lens/sensitivity type of guy. Industry standard I think is about 8MP now which is why I think this model had it. The sensor size didn't match an 8MP though so I could be wrong.

@ ben173
lol yeah, I think that's the key. They are constantly going for a specific price range so as long as they have a marginal increase in functionality to warrant the price, Apple will design it as such.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Seems to me you could buy your 4 now for presumably $200 with new contract then sell it (or trade it in to amazon) for ~$375-400 when the 4S/5 comes out. Then just buy the 4S/5 for the "early upgrade" price of $450. Or is there a minimum amount of time that must pass before you can be eligible for the early upgrade price?

ben173

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
@ Bobby Corwen
The screen size wasn't measured so I don't know how large the screen was. The design was borderless on the sides essentially so it looks like it would be easier to type.

@ elfy
Not sure about Megapixelage being an obsession since digital photography was first invented. I agree that the sensor size and raw pixel count doesn't mean much in today's world. I'm more of a lens/sensitivity type of guy. Industry standard I think is about 8MP now which is why I think this model had it. The sensor size didn't match an 8MP though so I could be wrong.

@ ben173
lol yeah, I think that's the key. They are constantly going for a specific price range so as long as they have a marginal increase in functionality to warrant the price, Apple will design it as such.

why would they change the screen size they would have to refit all of the apps made on the older phones

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
@ elfy

The sensor size has a much greater bearing on image quality than sheer pixel count. Larger sensor means larger pixels means better image quality. Lens also makes a significant difference. Amount of pixels, like I said, means nothing but an ability to blow the photo up to a certain size without a noticeable drop in image quality. How many people make large prints of camera phone photos?

Last edited:

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
The sensor size has a much greater bearing on image quality than sheer pixel count. Larger sensor means larger pixels means better image quality. Lens also makes a significant difference. Amount of pixels, like I said, means nothing but an ability to blow the photo up to a certain size without a noticeable drop in image quality. How many people make large prints of camera phone photos?

It is very refreshing to hear from someone who knows what they are doing. :)

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
the more megapixel's the clearer the image is

Not even remotely true.:confused: It gives you the option of more cropping without loss of resolution, but not more clarity.
You can have a 12 billion megapixel camera with a bad lens and bad image processing algorithm and it won't get you anything.
There are plenty of phones out there with higher resolution sensors than the iPhone 4, but yet the iPhone takes better pictures.

I have a 10MP Canon Elph point and shoot, I also have a 10MP Canon Rebel Xti, and the Xti smokes the Elph for image Quality.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Seems to me you could buy your 4 now for presumably $200 with new contract then sell it (or trade it in to amazon) for ~$375-400 when the 4S/5 comes out. Then just buy the 4S/5 for the "early upgrade" price of $450. Or is there a minimum amount of time that must pass before you can be eligible for the early upgrade price?
AT&T has migrated from a "static" business model when it comes to upgrades, to a "dynamic one".

What this means is that your account is constantly being reviewed automatically via computer. One you meet a certain preset criterion, they move your upgrade edibility closer to your purchase date of the last phone purchased on that line. Taking into consideration many factors unlike the past where it just a flat number of months, till you were eligible. The more money you spend, the more active lines you have, the type of phone (feature phone, smartphone, or iPhone) you have on your lines etc.

I'm up to five lines on AT&T since I got tired of swapping sims between my various new phones. Since activating that number of lines a few years ago, I've been able to get full upgrade pricing just about whenever I want to buy a new phone (every 8 to 12 months on average). Having been with AT&T and Verizon both for over a decade, that entitles me to excellent service, great pricing and unlimited data plans, as all I use are smartphones.

Hope this gives you some insight as to how it all works.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
@ elfy
About the sensor size, yes I generally agree with you however there are certain implementations that have smaller sensors and then use interpolation software in order to get a larger MP rating. The larger the sensor and smaller the MP, the better the digital camera. In Apple's case, I think they are taking higher MP cameras and then tailoring the software to reduce the MP so overall size of the images is smaller than it's native pixel size. Awesome site too!

@ ben173
Screen size change may not have been a resolution change. It could be a cost saving measure to offer a larger screen with less density. I just thought that it would be easier to type on a borderless screen.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
I'm not sure how the upgrade pricing works out any more. I'm 13 months into my contract and ATT STILL wants $549 for an upgrade. Ain't getting it from me.

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Not even remotely true.:confused: It gives you the option of more cropping without loss of resolution, but not more clarity.
You can have a 12 billion megapixel camera with a bad lens and bad image processing algorithm and it won't get you anything.
There are plenty of phones out there with higher resolution sensors than the iPhone 4, but yet the iPhone takes better pictures.

I have a 10MP Canon Elph point and shoot, I also have a 10MP Canon Rebel Xti, and the Xti smokes the Elph for image Quality.

a lot of MP may or may not be better to a certain extent but a device with 12 billion MP is downright crazy, thats enough for thousands of megapixels per inch which will clarify the picture like no other device has.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
And I'm sure there were plenty of people that thought that apple was going to announce the new iphone last week also.. Point is no one knows until apple tell's us.. And if it doesn't come out in Sept. nobody is going to die. Be patient it will come in time...

James

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I still have an iPhone 3G. It's basically a big piece of Junk. But I'm definitely not upgrading to an iPhone 4 now. That would be simply stupid.

Same here, most of the apps just crash now when I open them.
it barely works anyone.

And the iPhone 4 IMO is crap. I dont want a glass back, a few of my friends have shattered theirs.

ben173

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Same here, most of the apps just crash now when I open them.
it barely works anyone.

And the iPhone 4 IMO is crap. I dont want a glass back, a few of my friends have shattered theirs.

the next iphone will have a glass back but stronger

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
One could only assume that when iOS 5 is made public in "fall" there will be a new iPhone, seeing as Apple have released a new one every year since 2007.

that and the iPhone 4 is starting to show it age. It is around 1 year old and lets face it out dated in terms of specs and what is out there.

- For me I expect them to put the iPad processor in it.

- A LED notification light (based on the flash can be an call notification) and I expect it to be like the led Motorola uses since when it is off you cannot really see it.

- 1 gig of ram

-HSPA+ and AT&T will call it 4G device

-Fix the antenna

-I expect a design change yet again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.