Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Cautious yes, paranoid no...

Q-6

I am not going to pick a public fight, cautious it is. Which is probably why you are located in: "Behind the Great Firewall".

On a serious note, how we look at security really depends on what we are protecting. Is it valuable enterprise and commercial data? Is it the family vacation pictures? Each requires a different viewpoint of security.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am not going to pick a public fight, cautious it is. Which is probably why you are located in: "Behind the Great Firewall".

On a serious note, how we look at security really depends on what we are protecting. Is it valuable enterprise and commercial data? Is it the family vacation pictures? Each requires a different viewpoint of security.

Behind the "Wall " from time to time, indigenous no, commercial data yes. Privacy is what it is, as to whether your up for sharing is up to you. I do agree that`s why I close on "Install, don’t install it`s down to you now" as the point is to raise awareness, only then can people make an informed decisson. The blanket statement that the Mac is invulnerable to malicious attack is a fallacy, and one should take appropriate precautions as required.

Q-6

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
If so, which? I was thinking about buying antivirus sentinel.

Why do you think you need anti-virus software? Are you experiencing anything with your Mac that is leading to believe that you need anti-virus software? My philosophy is practice safe Internet surfing, only download from known good websites. I have been using OS X since 10.2 Jaguar and never once have I ever needed any sort of anti-virus software.

muni47

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
hello guys,
actually i am new to this forum and also a new user of os x ...just want to know whether it is necessary to have an antivirus for mac...

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I have been using Mac computers for 10 years now and I have never used antivirus software. Viruses don't normally target the Mac market as it's still comparatively small compared to Windows. To my knowledge there are no viruses for Mac in the wild and running an antivirus program in the background would be a waste of resources.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
If so, which? I was thinking about buying antivirus sentinel.
Yesterday, while looking for a medical answer using a Mac in google search, I clicked on a link that would have brought a windows computer down. it was ransomware, but designed for a windows machine. I simply rebooted the MacMini and the problem was gone. I had a similar thing happen on a Windows Tablet - that I'm using right now - and was in Windows 10 using Chrome and I was completely taken down. The only thing I could do was restore to Win 8.1 which I did.
NEVER PAY THE RANSOM- I HATE A F@#%# THIEF.
Not helpful to your question but some insight maybe for you. Although most of us do not use an antivirus with os x, more and more malware is being created just for that reason. Apple has done a great job keeping up so far, but maybe using an antivirus in os x is something that needs to be done. Your question may get me to act on which is the best to use.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
I work in multiple OS and physically multiple countries, frankly you will not gain access to these networks without a level of AV/MD
That's an absurd argument and you know it. Clearly if someone says, "you need X to enter my property", you need X, but not because X is actually necessery on its own (which is what the OP is asking about), but because someone has just written it down as a requirement.

again you are assuming my usage meets yours, it doesn't nor does many others.

You really need to quit saying this. I've already stated, now for the third time that this is correct.

I've assumed not a single thing about your usage. I've only stated, (again, repeatedly) that anti-virus is by no means whatsoever a necessity for Mac users simply due to someone using a Mac to make money, which was your original claim, and is exactly what I quoted in your original comment.

Protecting your data and livelihood makes sense
And wasting your time and energy on something that isn't a problem makes zero sense.

if you as an individual do not have need of third part security solutions, so be it, equally others do and some need advice to do the same, data and or time loss is an issue for many.
WOW! As I said, you keep going on about not assuming things about others, then repeatedly fail to heed your own advice.

I make a living on my Mac as well. Never had a virus, and have not needed anti-virus software. And I find your insinution that, just becuase of your false assumption that I'm not professional, that data loss isn't an issue for me to be extremely offensive. I have decades of irreplaceable photos and videos, and thousands of dollars of media that I would be devestated to lose.

A/V software isn't about data loss or time loss. That's what backups are for, and I'm well covered on that front. I could be hit by ransomeware, and be quite fine. There would be time loss of less than one day, and no work loss as I'd pick up on another device until the restore is complete.

You really should quit assuming everyone's case is like yours.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yesterday, while looking for a medical answer using a Mac in google search, I clicked on a link that would have brought a windows computer down. it was ransomware, but designed for a windows machine. I simply rebooted the MacMini and the problem was gone. I had a similar thing happen on a Windows Tablet - that I'm using right now - and was in Windows 10 using Chrome and I was completely taken down. The only thing I could do was restore to Win 8.1 which I did.
Not helpful to your question but some insight maybe for you. Although most of us do not use an antivirus with os x, more and more malware is being created just for that reason. Apple has done a great job keeping up so far, but maybe using an antivirus in os x is something that needs to be done. Your question may get me to act on which is the best to use.

Apple is going to make it even harder for Malware to "just get" installed in 10.11.

I suspect that you could have forced quit the browser and been fine without needing to reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

ThisOldMacHead

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
South Jersey
25+ years and I've never used a single anti-virus product. Common sense and prudence are all you need to protect yourself.

The only caveat is if you work somewhere where you'll be sharing a massive amount of data/email with Windows machines. With that said however- you'd be doing them far more of a favor than yourself.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
That's an absurd argument and you know it. Clearly if someone says, "you need X to enter my property", you need X, but not because X is actually necessery on its own (which is what the OP is asking about), but because someone has just written it down as a requirement.

You really need to quit saying this. I've already stated, now for the third time that this is correct.

I've assumed not a single thing about your usage. I've only stated, (again, repeatedly) that anti-virus is by no means whatsoever a necessity for Mac users simply due to someone using a Mac to make money, which was your original claim, and is exactly what I quoted in your original comment.

And wasting your time and energy on something that isn't a problem makes zero sense.

WOW! As I said, you keep going on about not assuming things about others, then repeatedly fail to heed your own advice.

I make a living on my Mac as well. Never had a virus, and have not needed anti-virus software. And I find your insinution that, just becuase of your false assumption that I'm not professional, that data loss isn't an issue for me to be extremely offensive. I have decades of irreplaceable photos and videos, and thousands of dollars of media that I would be devestated to lose.

A/V software isn't about data loss or time loss. That's what backups are for, and I'm well covered on that front. I could be hit by ransomeware, and be quite fine. There would be time loss of less than one day, and no work loss as I'd pick up on another device until the restore is complete.

Queen6 posts with a Windows mentality.

Reactions: pastrychef

Queen6

macrumors G4

As so should you, no one will care when you cry...

Q-6

Reactions: wgnoyes

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Queen6 posts with am mentality that spans all current OS

Q-6

I understand that you think that is the case. And I understand the need to be proactive but I feel it is better to advise on safety rather then your "the sky looks like it is falling" approach. If this were Windows we were discussing that would be different.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I understand that you think that is the case. And I understand the need to be proactive but I feel it is better to advise on safety rather then your "the sky looks like it is falling" approach. If this were Windows we were discussing that would be different.

We can avoid the same situation as Windows by being proactive, equally we can sit still and allow malicious code to run on our systems, resulting in the same mire. As for the "the sky looks like it is falling" we all have a part to play. What`s yours beyond acceptance...

Q-6

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
For personal use I keep the avast free for Mac as insurance.

The best thing you can do though is honestly mailroute.net. It filters your email before your email service gets it and removes spam and fishing as well as viruses. Man it's really good

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
We can avoid the same situation as Windows by being proactive, equally we can sit still and allow malicious code to run on our systems, resulting in the same mire. As for the "the sky looks like it is falling" we all have a part to play. What`s yours beyond acceptance...

Q-6

My part is to practice safe internet browsing and downloading only from trusted websites. If I am unsure about the website I do research on whether, the unknown website to me, can be trusted. I teach my kids the same practice. Apple is going to do their part even more when 10.11 is released. Rootless is a great idea. Scare tactics aren't doing anyone a service.

Reactions: OLDCODGER

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
To be honest, I think the best Mac anti-virus, anti-malware app is right here at Macrumors. If there ever is anything that makes it into the wild I have a feeling you will hear about it here first--even before any of those so-called anti-virus apps get a chance to update any definition files. Safe computing, be aware of where you go and what you download and be aware of anything strange going on with your system. This really does keep most of us Mac users safe--if you think you are one of those, then I'd recommend not spending money on anything out there that might cause more harm than good.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I am not using any Antivirus software on my Mac, but I am also generally careful what sites I visit and what I download. I also do not connect usb drives from other people, and I mostly prefer to use cloud services for file exchange. I also have the Gatekeeper feature active on my Macs. Never had a single issue so far and I expect no changes in the future.

This is pretty good practice for anyone to operate under and not really need antivirus.

I don't "need" AV on my mac but I have Nod32 installed. I use it for my 2 windows machines and I have the 3rd extra license so its installed on the Mac. I spent a week with and without it installed and don't notice any performance differences.

Reactions: Queen6

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
what is the best anti virus for mac anyway, always did want to know that? in the future, when i get my laptop, which is gonna be a MSI laptop, im gonna use an anti virus app for sure cause thats windows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.