Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-want-an-iMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2024
I am planning to buy one to use with Linux (Magic Keyboard with Numpad), but I heard many people said the fact that it's low makes it uncomfortable. What do you think?

I think I would enjoy it. My favorite keyboard at the moment is a completely flat ThinkPad keyboard on my laptop.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I enjoy using it precisely because the keys have low travel. Some people prefer mechanical keyboards for the opposite reason. If you enjoy flat/laptop keyboards, I think you'll like it very much

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
It's okay, not great IMO. I would only choose it for Touch ID (which I miss). But I first switched to MX Keys (which is awesome) and now Keychron mechanical.

Reactions: MikeDr206

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
It's reasonably ergonomically sound in principle, but what lets it down is... well, basically the entire execution.

What is actually quantifiably better while still being meaningfully low profile are the Logitech romer-g keyboards like the G915, or failing that, Kailh Choc low-profile keyboards like the MX Mechanical. And you don't even have to put up with the stupid Mac-specific layout of the keyboard depending on where you live.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
It's reasonably ergonomically sound in principle, but what lets it down is... well, basically the entire execution.

What is actually quantifiably better while still being meaningfully low profile are the Logitech romer-g keyboards like the G915, or failing that, Kailh Choc low-profile keyboards like the MX Mechanical. And you don't even have to put up with the stupid Mac-specific layout of the keyboard depending on where you live.
If you're looking for low profile, I'd suggest looking at Keychron or Nuphy as well.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
If you're looking for low profile, I'd recommend Keychron or Nuphy.
Given your experience given above, I'm sure you would. MX Keys aren't mechs.

I'd recommed the G915 or it's lower-end (backlit or not) siblings.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If you like low keyboards you will like it. Not everyone does. I like magic keyboards and the Microsoft surface low profile keyboards.

For contrast, I also have a Nuphy Air V2 and while it is considered low profile, it's more than twice the height as a magic keyboard so it's a bit more uncomfortable if I do a lot of typing. I bought the wrist pad which has helped (hadn't needed those in years). The sound and the experience are very good but I could type longer and faster on a magic keyboard than a Nuphy.

Hard to really get this information from a review, you need to experience for yourself but if you like flat keyboards you will probably like the magic keyboard.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
The Magic Keyboard is nice. Mac laptops have been my primary computers for the last 20+ years. I’ve always enjoyed their keyboards. With my iMac, I used the “chiclet” wired keyboard for a long time. When I picked up an M1 mini last winter, I got the Magic Keyboard so I would have a similar feel when bouncing back and forth between it and my laptop. I enjoy the consistency. The only thing I dislike is that the left/right arrow keys are full size. I prefer the inverted T arrangement.

As noted, if you enjoy laptop keyboards, you will likely enjoy the Magic Keyboard.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
You can pay half the price or less and find several knock offs that are about as good if not better. I use a mechanical and my Macbook's keyboard, and sometimes I use a cheap bluetooth keyboard for my iPad or my Mac depending on my mood. Apple isn't known for pricing their accessories all that well. To me at least the only accessory for computer input that they make that is worth the price is the Magic Trackpad because no one makes a better trackpad than Apple.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Given your experience given above, I'm sure you would. MX Keys aren't mechs.

I'd recommed the G915 or it's lower-end (backlit or not) siblings.
For sure, MX Keys is just a better keyboard in the same zone as the MK. If I didn't want mechanical, I'd want MX Keys vs. the MK (that's what I was trying to say).

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
For sure, MX Keys is just a better keyboard in the same zone as the MK. If I didn't want mechanical, I'd want MX Keys vs. the MK (that's what I was trying to say).
...which is entirely irrelevant for the discussion. Or are you not aware there is an MX Mech as well as the MX Keys and getting confused between the two in our exchange?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
...which is entirely irrelevant for the discussion. Or are you not aware there is an MX Mech as well as the MX Keys and getting confused between the two in our exchange?
Why is it irrelevant? OP asked what people thought about the MK. I responded that I thought it was ok/not great and moved from it to the MX Keys. That's the extent of it. I mentioned it so the OP could consider an alternative (non-mechanical) keyboard.

I'm not confused by anything. I know there is an MX Mechanical.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Straight across rectangular keyboard does not make sense period. You just need to look at the human hands to realise this :p

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've been using the Apple Magic keyboards for quite a while (10+ years) and love them. My wife has a MS low profile keyboard for her work-issued Dell, and keeps stealing my older A1243 wired keyboard... she prefers the Apple keyboards over anything else out there, as well.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
I picked up the Apple Bluetooth Magic Keyboard today and I was blown away how slim and light this thing was out of the box. Feather light and barely any thickness. But yet feels rock solid with no creaking like my Logitech MX Keys S does when I grab it. Im testing it out for a bit to see if I prefer this keyboard over my other ones for a portable keyboard for my iPad Pro 11.

For those who have (or used) this board and as well the Magic Keyboard for ipad and the MBA keyboards (specifically M2 and M3 models). Is this pretty much the exact same keyboard as in the MBA M2 and M3 and/or the iPad Pro Magic Keyboard? Or do you feel that there are any differences?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The Apple Magic Keyboard is a solid, quality item as far as slim keyboards go. Better than most. I'm satisfied with it on my laptop, but at my desk I much prefer to use a customized mechanical keyboard to which the MK just does not compare. Maybe, maybe, maybe if Apple made a TKL model...

Last edited:

salz4life

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Fox Lake, IL
I currently have an old battery powered Magic Keyboard (no numeric keys). I like it well enough. I'm getting ready to invest in a M2 Mac Mini (or wait for M3... not sure, LOL). With the newer ones, is the Touch ID worth the additional $70-75?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.