Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telequest

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
NJ
A definitely regret not getting a 3.33 hex.

And I'm very happy that I did - the hex has been great. Also happy that I managed to get a 2010 soon after the release. Was tough to wait as my old G5 was getting really long in the tooth. So I understand the frustration of anyone who now needs a new machine and is wondering if the MP will get EOL'd or if it's really just Apple waiting for supplies from Intel ... or something else (they never tell).

And yeah, I know, real Pros just buy what they need when they need it. :rolleyes:

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
My Mac Pro has been nothing but a joy to use these past few months, and I am glad that I took the plunge and didn't wait for the refresh.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Sometimes I regret I didn't purchase it. But when I was buying my set up, the Mac Pro was due for an upgrade(as it still is) and while it might be faster then my Mac mini, the price difference I would have been looking at just wasn't worth it for me.

The biggest thing I miss about not having a Mac Pro isn't the great CPU performance, but the easy of upgrades. I busted the IR/light on my Mac mini when I was upgrading the RAM and SSD/HDD.

Although the Thunderbolt port on the Mac mini along with the tiny size making clean up a breeze makes moving out of my dorm after 8 months for the next two years is probably worth it. Plus the high entry of the Mac Pro makes the cost of the machine after grades even worse. Day to day, my SSD(which wouldn't have been in the cards had I gone Mac Pro) makes a bigger difference then the CPU difference. That said, I know 2 years down the road, my upgrade choices for the Mini will be a lot less then my Pro would have been.

What I would do for a Mac Pro with Mac mini server internals. I'd definitely pay a premium(and Apple could use desktops CPUs, 3.5" storage and desktop RAM, getting equal or better performance out of the box for less money then the Mini costs them to product and still charge more for the Mac Pro with consumer parts in there. But hey, let's be honest, that isn't the direction Apple is going in)

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i need another computer .. only have my air currently and its killing me .. i don't know whether to buy a refurb mac pro and just do the hex processor swap or just build a pc

Check 6

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
read my thread "mac Pro almost the end of the tunnel" my only regret is that the Apple store sees my Mac Pro more than I do

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
No regrets here. I'n pretty happy with my Mac Pro. 8 cores and 16GB of RAM and it runs like a champ.

I also own a MBP and I do regret some choices on that. I will admit I was impulsive and was tired of waiting, and as soon as Apple did their recent update I pulled the trigger on a new 15". It only has 4GB of RAM and a 500GB 5400RPM HDD. Needless to say, I would have opted for the SSD and more RAM. Because I bought Apple Care, I'm stuck now and can't upgrade anything without voiding warranty.

You are not stuck. Memory and hard drives are replaceable parts. Do what you need to do with the MBP.

That's the craziest thing I've read on Macrumors in like an hour.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
No regrets.

My 1,1 Mac Pro is still awesome. Just updated the processors to BESL mod 8-cores 2x1.86, jumping the speed a good 50% or more. Of all Apple computers I have owned across 30 years, this is by far the best purchase and the best value. It will be good for another 3 years I believe, at least, even if the OSs ditch it.

I got it with a couple Cinema Displays and have loaded with with better graphics card, loaded up drives and 16GB memory, and it's quite a beauty. The only problem I have and have had for a couple years that my main monitor is flakey after start-up or wake and it will black out, so needs unplugging and replugging to reset something there. Annoying, but 5 seconds of hassle every day.

It comes out after 7 years to about $1300/yr. for a computer. You could equate that to buying a new, lower-end iMac every year, but the power and convenience wouldn't be there, and I can probably keep this computer well beyond 7 years and use it for auxiliary needs.

No other "Pro" (I've had 7 top-end Macs across 20 years) has come close to being as great as these modern Intel Mac Towers. I'd regret buying a Mac Pro NOW, since the upgrade will almost surely appear within 6 months and the next Mac Pro will probably be quite incredible.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
No regrets. Bought at the start of the cycle. As all the frustration at lack of new models started rumbling I started collecting SSD's. Very consoling:p
My previous game PC was pushed way too hard with a locked 2.66GHz Conroe @ 3.6GHz and GTX280. I have way less reboots these days unless it is software related. Very happy. Only thing I would like would be SATA 6Gb. Need a bootable 8xPCI stable card. But then don't we all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.