Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
In short, yes. I change them all the time. Here's what I feel like right now.

Mac mini: mint
iPod nano: arwen
iPod shuffle: selina
External HD (all of them): himawari
eMac: gumdrop
iBook: 12 inch armor

confucious626

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2006
SoCal
Mine has no name I just refer my PowerMac g5 as a"G5".

"Hey what kind of computer do yo have?"

"A G5"

"What the hell is a G5"

"A PowerMac....G5"

"Oh...ok"

Lukasha

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Let's see:

Main PowerMac G4 - E.V.E.
Server PowerMac G4 - Bahamoud
Media Server PowerMac G4 - Isis
PPC Test Machine PowerMac G4 - Catwoman
Intel Test Machine Mac mini - Honor
PowerBook G4 - T-X (chick terminator from T3)
RAZR - Pixel
CLIE - Trinity
iPod Nano - GitS (Ghost in the Shell)
PC - JeffsPC

Jeff

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
The first thing I do with a Mac is change the name of the drive, which then becomes the name of the Mac.

iMac - tao
MacBook - shanti

LaFouinard

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2005
Dundee
Never named my iPod but my iMac has name. Never named my old PC because it was a clunky, uncooperative SOAB and didn't deserve one. God I'm glad I switched to Mac they're just lovely

iMac: Joan (after Joan of Arc)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
SheriffParker said:
Haven't named any of my computers but I always change the hard drive to "Ok Computer". :D
Nice - I got some Radiohead stickers, so it says "OK Computer" on the front of my iMac!

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Arghhh. Who names a computer:eek:

Wait I dont own a computer any more. I have MacBook now. Why didnt I think of naming this s##y beast? Anyways I m thinknig of giving her a cool(n s###) name right now. What should it be.................

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
cycocelica said:
Sounds obsessive and crazy to me.

depends. When talking about my computer I refer to them as Desktop, laptop, iPod, Palm and so on.

My naming convention is mostly just for networking reasons. Besides the computer needs a name for the network and the default names are just hard to rememeber so if it is a random name it hard to separted out which computers belong and dont belong on the home network.

With my Star trek system it really quick for me to id all my computers. My room matt system is a bit differernt but still his own. Dont rememeber the name of his laptop off the top of my head but i would reconize if I saw it. His desktop is TheWheelofTime (lol that more of my styling of naming but I choose startrek.)

When looking at the DHCP clinet table I only can see the computer name (for example USS-Voyager no discription just the computers name.) Plus when looking at share computers on the network quite offen all I see is the computers name so it Iding what computer it is.

Over all you will figure out naming the computer imporances comes really into play when you start networking multiple computers. Makes it a lot easier to which computer you are looking at. USS-Voyager is my laptop and I can tell that at a glance no random letter naming that I can not remember.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think its a good thing to name your computer.. Now naming my hardrive for networking purposes i do that. But its usually iBook HD or MacBook HD, on my iMac i named it iMorris cause thast my middle name.:D

Psycho Therapis

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
All of my computers are just numbered from System 1, currently to System 25 (even though not all are in use, nor are they in any kind of order around the house, just the order I got them and I don't re-assign numbers). The actual network name of each system is S1-S25, this was done years ago to simplify networking on Windows, since Network Neighbourhood never worked properly and I just kept with the naming scheme.

I think I need to rename all the drives on my Macs though. I don't normally access more than one Mac at a time via the network, but recently I had to and of course I had 2 network shares called exactly the same thing in the Finder, very confusing. I'll probably just rename them something like S1 HD - S25 HD. The PCs in my collection already use a similar HDD naming scheme.

Not very creative really, but saves any confusion.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
My 1.42GHz Mac mini G4 is called "Moleskine" look it up. It's a notebook that's pretty expensive, supposedly used by da Vinci, Ernest Hemmingway, and the like. The notebooks supposedy help to inspire the owner. Dunno, I just like the name :) My mini's unofficial name is my baby computer. I love it to death.

My mom's Compaq Presario is called the other term used for an illegitimate child.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
"This is my Mac. There are many like it but this one is mine. My Mac is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Mac is useless. Without my Mac I am useless."

I just couldn't resist the Full Metal Jacket quote;)

So I've named my Mac Mini Charlene :D

offbyone

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2006
France
cwedl said:
Hi

This may sound really sad but I name my computers.

All my PC's have male names MAX 1-10
My Mac however has a female name because of how beautiful she is "Verity"

Do you Macs or computers have names?

This seems a really strange question. In the interconnected world, how can anyone *not* name his computer?
I come from a Unix background of networked computers, where every computer (i.e. each "host"), by convention and virtually out of necessity, has a name.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Power Mac G5: huxley
iMac G5: imac
Dell PowerEdge Pentium 820: tdh
HP dc7600 SF Pentium 630: xpmce

I have a MacBook Pro coming tomorrow I'll probably just call it: mbp

My 2 other Mac notebooks were named:

iBook G4: darwin
PowerBook G4: wallace

I've had a few other PC notebooks and they had original names like:

Toshiba TE2100: te2100 ;)

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
My computer is just "iMac" (trying to think of a name), but its mouse is "Mickey" and its keyboard is "Pluto" (you can name wireless mice and keyboards).

If I get a MacBook, it'll be called Martini, and it's mouse will be Olive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.