Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you put the curly brace on the same or new line?

• Same line

Votes: 42 40.8%
  • New line

Votes: 61 59.2%

• Total voters

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
Poll time! Where do you put the opening curly brace, and why?

On the same line
Code:
if (something) {
    // blah
}

Or on a new line?
Code:
if (something)
{
    // blah
}

As for me, I generally prefer it on a new line, it makes it easier to read and scan through the code. I had a professor in college who insisted it be placed on a new line. However in the "real world" I see it more on the same line.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I put it on a new line because it feels cleaner to me. But when reading other people's code, it's no biggie if it's on the same line. And you're right, I see it on the same line more often than not.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
Depends upon the employer.

And when it doesn't it depends upon what the output device is. Magazine articles and less than 19 inch displays the same line and larger displays the next line.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
what about your else's?

Code:
if
{
    //blah
} else {
or
Code:
if
{
    //blah
}
else
{

Some always use a new line, but will combine them for else's.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Boy, may as well ask vi/emacs, chocolate/vanilla, Jesus/Allah/Yewah/Vishnu/Gaia/Buddah/Zeus/Xenu/None, etc.

But I'll bite...

I put the brace on the same line. It's easier for me to read that way, grep for blocks, etc. I also like fitting more on one screen. Once a block can't be viewed at-once, I feel like it gets harder to grok what's going on. If only I could orient my displays at work to portrait.

-Lee

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Our coding standards handbook calls for braces on a new line. It also says to change any that are in the wrong place :p

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I usually code in either the 1TBS or Kernel Normal Form styles but I do use the Allman style where necessary (mostly to match pre-existing codebases).

jpyc7

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I mostly write in the so-called One True Brace Style (1TBS), a variant of K&R C according to Wikipedia.

My current employer doesn't have coding guidelines, but was acquired recently by a company that does. So I guess we will soon have them. I'm mostly writing in Python, so it doesn't really affect me.

I did join a startup company once early enough that the engineers got to hash-out the coding guidelines. Although we were writing in C and C++, the guidelines were mostly copied from Sun's Java coding guidelines.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I've bowed to peer pressure and do same line, but my preference is new line. The point of curly braces is to delimit scopes, and by matching the column it very clearly does so.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I do what my employer tells me to do. If it's not for work (e.g. open source), I'll match the style of whatever is used, if the style's not already specified somewhere. Other than that, it doesn't really matter although for my personal projects I tend to put the brace on the same line so I can fit more code on the screen at once.

All that really matters with stuff like this is that it is readable and consistent through out the project.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I think today with high resolution monitors, conserving whitespace is less of an issue. I like the new line approach because it looks clean, makes it easy to delineate exactly where a block begins and ends (just scan up or down the page looking for the brace in the same column), and also makes it easy to move code around (just cut/paste at the braces).

And I like emacs, thank you very much (though I use SlickEdit most of the time).

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I always put it on a new line; for me it more clearly defines the scope of the block of code. And clarity of code is very, very important. If you need to see more code on screen, buy your developers larger screens. It'll pay back in the long run.

We don't have a coding standard here, but when one developer here was maintaining code I developed, he systematically went through it and changed them all - which was a bit annoying. Now I'm maintaining it again, I change them as/when code requires changes.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
During the actual coding process I do prefer the new line method because it makes the code easier to read, especially when you're dealing with dozens of nesting levels.

But while giving the code its last polish I generally move the bracket to the upper line.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Do you ever write a short method on a single line, braces and all? Like when you had to write out all the setter/accessor methods?

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
To the original question, same line...always.

Do you ever write a short method on a single line, braces and all? Like when you had to write out all the setter/accessor methods?

Yes, all the time especially when doing properties in c# for example. I hate having this huge block of code with only 1-2 lines that actually do anything. Much easier to scan code by keeping it on the screen.

BadWolf13

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2009
With if statements, on the same line, with methods, it's a new line. I just think they both look neater that way.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Yes. Any rule has exceptions, and if it makes the code easier to read and maintain, then it's justified.

For example, our coding standard discourages the use of the ternary operator, but it has its uses.

We don't have a coding standard here, but when one developer here was maintaining code I developed, he systematically went through it and changed them all - which was a bit annoying. Now I'm maintaining it again, I change them as/when code requires changes.

Many editors have a "beautify" or code formatting command which lets you choose the options you prefer, and apply them to the entire file once and for all.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I put it on a new line because it feels cleaner to me. But when reading other people's code, it's no biggie if it's on the same line. And you're right, I see it on the same line more often than not.

+1

I prefer it on a new line but there are people who fuss about that if they read my code.

I'm really picky and love to have sexy looking code. I don't mind typing more to make my code look cleaner.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I guess I have been spoiled by the XCode editor, with is handy code folding and range highlighter. To me, the same line always seems more neat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.