Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Hi,

Even though I have configured the Accessibility option in Settings to just unlock the iPad by resting my finger in the Touch ID, sometimes I still am requested to press the Home button. I don't know how to reproduce this issue. Have you experienced it? Do you think it's a bug?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Even though I have configured the Accessibility option in Settings to just unlock the iPad by resting my finger in the Touch ID, sometimes I still am requested to press the Home button. I don't know how to reproduce this issue. Have you experienced it? Do you think it's a bug?

Just to be clear, you mean you are pressing the home button once and then leaving your finger on the sensor so the TouchID can scan your finger, and you still have to press the home button again?

As far as I know, this functionality has been fixed since PB2, but I've only tested it on my 6+ and my wife's 6s.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Nope, on my Air 2, I do not need to press home button. I turn the screen on via lock button and rest my thumb on home button and it takes me to home screen every time. Of course after enabling "rest finger".

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

Yes. I press he home button and it takes me home. "Finger rest" doesn't do **** for me

If you're on the latest beta (either public or Dev) then that Accessibility option should do what you're asking. Do note that it is an accessibility option and meant for people who are unable to press a button

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Just to be clear, you mean you are pressing the home button once and then leaving your finger on the sensor so the TouchID can scan your finger, and you still have to press the home button again?

As far as I know, this functionality has been fixed since PB2, but I've only tested it on my 6+ and my wife's 6s.

Nope, on my Air 2, I do not need to press home button. I turn the screen on via lock button and rest my thumb on home button and it takes me to home screen every time. Of course after enabling "rest finger".

If you're on the latest beta (either public or Dev) then that Accessibility option should do what you're asking. Do note that it is an accessibility option and meant for people who are unable to press a button

I've enabled the Accessibility option and, in general, resting my thumb sometimes takes me to the home screen (most of the time, in fact), but other times it doesn't and I am asked to press the Home button.

For example, this morning, after all the night without using my iPad Air 2, I've had to press the button.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've enabled the Accessibility option and, in general, resting my thumb sometimes takes me to the home screen (most of the time, in fact), but other times it doesn't and I am asked to press the Home button.

For example, this morning, after all the night without using my iPad Air 2, I've had to press the button.

Which beta are you on?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Did you have any notifications on the lock screen?

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Did you have any notifications on the lock screen?

No.

After unlocking but resting my thumb, I can use the iPad by tapping on any Siri app suggestions, but I am not taken to the Home screen automatically, just by resting the finger.

Sometimes resting the thumb only shows the message "Unlocked" on the top of the lock screen.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Public Beta 3.

I experienced this on Public Beta 2 as well.

As I say, generally it works, but not always.

I stopped having problems after PB1, but again I'm not using an iPad.

In another thread, someone suggested 2 or 3 restarts and that seemed to work for some folks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No.

After unlocking but resting my thumb, I can use the iPad by tapping on any Siri app suggestions, but I am not taken to the Home screen automatically, just by resting the finger.

Sometimes resting the thumb only shows the message "Unlocked" on the top of the lock screen.
So in none of those cases you have some new notifications when you are unlocking?

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
So in none of those cases you have some new notifications when you are unlocking?

Sometimes I have them, sometimes I don't have them.

When I do, the device is unlocked, but I am not taken to the Home screen. However, I can open the app related to the notification by swiping the notification.

When I do not have any notification, the same happens. I remain in the lock screen, with the "Unlocked" message, but without being taken to the Home screen.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Do note that it is an accessibility option and meant for people who are unable to press a button
Where exactly do Apple say this? Your passive-aggressiveness is killing me LOL.

Reverting back to the sequence we've had since 2013 now means you're unable to press a button, does it?
[doublepost=1470213401][/doublepost]

Note that you have to press the button when in widgets view in dev beta 4, even if rest to unlock is enabled. Don't know about public betas though.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014

Reverting back to the sequence we've had since 2013 now means you're unable to press a button, does it?
Note that you have to press the button when in widgets view in dev beta 4, even if rest to unlock is enabled. Don't know about public betas though.

No. I have this problem when I am in the empty lock screen, in that where notifications take place.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

The feature is in Accessibility where all the other features for those with vision, hearing or physical problems are. It's a bit of a clue really :rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

The feature is in Accessibility where all the other features for those with vision, hearing or physical problems are. It's a bit of a clue really :rolleyes:
Ultimately it's one of those distinctions without much importance as it doesn't really matter where it is or why it's really there as much as what it actually does and how someone can use it as far as changing something that they want to change (for whatever reason).

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Ultimately it doesn't really matter where it is or why it's really there as much as what it actually does and how someone can use it as far as changing something that they want to change (for whatever reason).

Well I agree you can invert the colours, have the device read everything on screen and change the double click to slowest whether you have a disability or not but, like rest to unlock, they are all likely to have an adverse affect on the intended use of the device. That's why those features are in there, and not elsewhere.

To be on topic. OP, I can only suggest you try a reset of settings and a reboot if you want this feature enabled. Failing that you may have to reinstall or wait for the next beta.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Well I agree you can invert the colours, have the device read everything on screen and change the double click to slowest whether you have a disability or not but, like rest to unlock, they are all likely to have an adverse affect on the intended use of the device. That's why those features are in there, and not elsewhere.

To be on topic. OP, I can only suggest you try a reset of settings and a reboot if you want this feature enabled. Failing that you may have to reinstall or wait for the next beta.

I'll try that. Should I report the bug to Apple? Even though I don't know how to reproduce it...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Not sure what likely adverse effect they would have on the intended use of the device--in the end it mainly mattes how an individual uses the device and what works better for them (for whatever reason).

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'll try that. Should I report the bug to Apple? Even though I don't know how to reproduce it...

I'd try the reset first and if you're still having issues send a report. Public beta 2 and dev beta 3 should have activated this option.
[doublepost=1470232980][/doublepost]
Not sure what likely adverse effect they would have on the intended use of the device--in the end it mainly mattes how an individual uses the device and what works better for them (for whatever reason).

The inability to use the secure notifications as intended since resting doesn't just unlock the notification screen when that's enabled, it takes you to the home screen. Creating a permanent issue (not being able to interact with secure notifications etc.) by refusing to deal with a temporary learning curve is not a good idea imo.

For what it's worth I think rest to unlock ought to still be how it works unless or until the user actually performs an action that requires authentication. That would probably have kept most people happy and it certainly makes more sense to me. It is how it is though and I would assume most people are able to adapt the new functionality (lest we forget it's there to acccomodate new functionality, not just for change's sake) pretty easily, though you wouldn't know it to read this forum.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
When users are confused about something as simple as unlocking the device, Apple's design is to fault. Plain and simple. User shouldn't have to think this much about merely unlocking the device.

I have "Unlock by resting the finger" OFF and it still takes me right to Springboard.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
When users are confused about something as simple as unlocking the device, Apple's design is to fault. Plain and simple. User shouldn't have to think this much about merely unlocking the device.

Like I said, I don't think the design is the best possible workflow however if anyone is confused about this after 5 minutes interacting with it then I don't know what to tell them. It's pretty simple and has clear visual feedback.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Sometimes the press home message will appear whilst unlocking but I don't press it and it still unlocks with the accessibility option enabled. Works every time for me.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Like I said, I don't think the design is the best possible workflow however if anyone is confused about this after 5 minutes interacting with it then I don't know what to tell them. It's pretty simple and has clear visual feedback.

That's irrelevant. It wasn't an issue before and is now. I have written two best selling books on iOS and OSX, am just over 30 and have been using iPhone since 2008 and iPad since 2010 (so I'm a pretty knowledgeable user) and yet I find some major UI/UX changes in 10 baffling and inelegant, even after four weeks of daily use. Cognitive load is higher in 10 than it used to be. 9 introduced some additional complexity with 3D Touch but throes were just shortcuts - users didn't have to know about them. But in 10, basic things like unlocking, notifications or control center are a point of confusion. It's not just a thing of habit - if a single action requires two or more different approaches based on multiple contexts, the design is not good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.