Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alnova1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
It's been a while since I have been on the forums for the iPhone for many reasons but that doesn't matter. I have a 6S Plus 128gb that I'm going to trade for a 64gb 6S and a Stainless steel Apple watch with black and blue bands. I think its a no brainier but am I missing something with the 6S? I know it doesn't have OIS and a smaller screen but is there anyone out there that has a reason not to do it? I have used the Apple watch BTW and like it so thats a plus for me. Thanks for any input.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
For me I love the bigger screen but if your ok with it then go for it, sounds like a really good deal.

Reactions: alnova1

alnova1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
For me I love the bigger screen but if your ok with it then go for it, sounds like a really good deal.
I have always liked the big screen too but have tried out the 6S and kinda like it. Really the only thing I'm worried about is lack of OIS. Thanks for the input.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's been a while since I have been on the forums for the iPhone for many reasons but that doesn't matter. I have a 6S Plus 128gb that I'm going to trade for a 64gb 6S and a Stainless steel Apple watch with black and blue bands. I think its a no brainier but am I missing something with the 6S? I know it doesn't have OIS and a smaller screen but is there anyone out there that has a reason not to do it? I have used the Apple watch BTW and like it so thats a plus for me. Thanks for any input.
I haven't had mine long, but the iPhone 6S Plus is more useful than a 6S and an Apple Watch.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm not a big Apple Watch guy. The notifications on my hand are barely easier to get than the ones on my phone. To me, the Apple Watch adds little value. On the other hand, the iPhone 6S+ is a phablet that is a phone with a huge screen for better video, texting, forum hopping, etc. It's totally up to you, but I would go with the 6S+

alnova1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I'm not a big Apple Watch guy. The notifications on my hand are barely easier to get than the ones on my phone. To me, the Apple Watch adds little value. On the other hand, the iPhone 6S+ is a phablet that is a phone with a huge screen for better video, texting, forum hopping, etc. It's totally up to you, but I would go with the 6S+
I appreciate the input. I have had Phablets on Android and now the plus but I did get use out of the Apple watch...more than I thought when I used one. I guess I'm finally getting tired of the bulky phone. I can understand what you are talking about as far as use of a smart watch. I got no use out of an Android wear watch. I liked the Samsung watches better. I figure I can trade again if I'm not happy but thanks again for the input.

Reactions: AustinIllini

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Brand new we are talking about a $200 MSRP difference (between the phones). That said I have seen used SS go for around $300 (when I was shopping for my wife's device) if you were patient, so I wouldn't call this a "no brainer" unless it's absolutely something you want.

If I were in yours shoes, knowing what I do about Apple Watch (wife has one) and how much I love the larger screen on my 6s plus, this isn't a trade I would do, but I was really let down by what the Apple watch does compared to its price point.

alnova1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Brand new we are talking about a $200 MSRP difference (between the phones). That said I have seen used SS go for around $300 (when I was shopping for my wife's device) if you were patient, so I wouldn't call this a "no brainer" unless it's absolutely something you want.

If I were in yours shoes, knowing what I do about Apple Watch (wife has one) and how much I love the larger screen on my 6s plus, this isn't a trade I would do, but I was really let down by what the Apple watch does compared to its price point.
I can understand your point but I guess the key is which I failed to mention is that I got the plus at a steal so I will not be hurt. I'm taking all of this in though but I did get some use out of the watch when I tried it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can understand your point but I guess the key is which I failed to mention is that I got the plus at a steal so I will not be hurt. I'm taking all of this in though but I did get some use out of the watch when I tried it.
I may have fixated on "no brainer" part of your statement, but I assumed it was based on value, or dollar signs, which is why I brought up the monetary differences here.

At the end of the day your personal experience is what matters, and it sounds like you have some under your belt. It's by no means a bad trade if you know you will get use out of the watch (and plenty of people love their watches). For me, I'd need to see the watch a a handful of high value straps so I can just sell the damn thing. It's just not something I could find myself using.

TL;DR: If you know you'll use the watch and don't care about losing the extra space and screen size, this is absolutely a good trade for you. I'd find out about warranty info too. It gets spendy when things fail.

alnova1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I may have fixated on "no brainer" part of your statement, but I assumed it was based on value, or dollar signs, which is why I brought up the monetary differences here.

At the end of the day your personal experience is what matters, and it sounds like you have some under your belt. It's by no means a bad trade if you know you will get use out of the watch (and plenty of people love their watches). For me, I'd need to see the watch a a handful of high value straps so I can just sell the damn thing. It's just not something I could find myself using.

TL;DR: If you know you'll use the watch and don't care about losing the extra space and screen size, this is absolutely a good trade for you. I'd find out about warranty info too. It gets spendy when things fail.
Yea I will find out about the warranty. To tell you the truth I'm a phone junkie and have traded so many times its not funny but I did find I liked the Apple watch better than most BUT NOT TO PAY FULL RETAIL FOR IT. Thats why I'm doing this deal. I can live without the extra screen BUT really don't want a sub par camera and I'm hoping not having OIS is that big of a deal.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yea I will find out about the warranty. To tell you the truth I'm a phone junkie and have traded so many times its not funny but I did find I liked the Apple watch better than most BUT NOT TO PAY FULL RETAIL FOR IT. Thats why I'm doing this deal. I can live without the extra screen BUT really don't want a sub par camera and I'm hoping not having OIS is that big of a deal.

We have both 6S and 6S plus in the house and we don't notice a difference in photos. We are amateur photographers that just like taking photos of moments ion our lives, namely our son growing up. I wouldn't stress about the camera.

alnova1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
We have both 6S and 6S plus in the house and we don't notice a difference in photos. We are amateur photographers that just like taking photos of moments ion our lives, namely our son growing up. I wouldn't stress about the camera.
Thanks thats great to hear. I'm just a point and shoot guy also so I'm sure it will be fine then. Thanks for all your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.