Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hello, I have always been a trackpad hater but when I got my new Macbook Air, I was shocked by how good it was. Now, it's been a couple weeks and sadly, I'm not as excited as I was the first day.

No matter how good it is, all trackpads are the same: useless. I think I'll be switching to my good old Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth Mouse.

What do you guys think? Do you use your Macbook Air with trackpad, or an external mouse?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
No matter how good it is, all trackpads are the same: useless. I think I'll be switching to my good old Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth Mouse.

Anyone else see the irony in declaring something "useless" in the same sentence as a plug for Bluetooth? At least using a trackpad doesn't drain your battery while introducing a slew of security issues.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Wireless keyboard might cause some security issues but I don't see how on earth a wireless mouse could do that.

dzigg

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
I'm also looking for a mouse to use on my MBA, mainly while playing Team Fortress 2. .. after some research, it seems razer orochi seems to be the best. I did have logitech M555B, but I don't like it because it feel slugish, you can actually feel the lag.. not cool especially for fps ..

Any other (preferably cheaper) solution? oh and it must be bluetooth.

Invisible Elf

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Most of the time while at the desk I use my Logitech MX518 (with Steermouse drivers). I really don't mind using the trackpad either though, I often switch between them. Scrolling on the trackpad is more comfortable than on the mouse imo

fade-

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
Can you kindly enlighten me please, how does bluetooth keyboard cause security concerns?

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Can you kindly enlighten me please, how does bluetooth keyboard cause security concerns?

What miles wanted to say was this: IF your keyboard doesn't send your key tap data encrypted, the data might be intercepted and captured on its way to your computer. And whatever you enter (passwords, email addresses, messages) might be compromised. This is theoretically correct, though a very long shot.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I prefer a mouse. I use a magic mouse.
I also have an external trackpad.

slothead

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Hello, I have always been a trackpad hater but when I got my new Macbook Air, I was shocked by how good it was. Now, it's been a couple weeks and sadly, I'm not as excited as I was the first day.

What do you guys think? Do you use your Macbook Air with trackpad, or an external mouse?
After I got my Air, I debated on whether to acquire the magic mouse or the magic trackpad. I knew I wanted something because I didn't like the laptop touchpad very much and use it only as a last resort. I decided on the trackpad because of its form/size. It takes up less space than the mouse (not much less, but less). I may change my mind in time, but at the moment I like using it on my iMac and will probably like using it on the Air.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Haven't touched or wanted the mouse and USB keyboard back since moving from a PowerBook G4 to the MacBook Air...

jcg878

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
I greatly prefer the trackpad on MacBooks to mice. If there was an Apple keyboard with a trackpad on the bottom, I'd buy it. I had the Magic Trackpad briefly for my iMac, but I didn't like it compared to a mouse. I guess I feel that if I'm going to move my arm all the way over there (you know, 16 inches or so) then I'd rather a mouse and it's smaller gestures.

However, on Lion I think I'd like the trackpad. I use spaces much more in Lion than I did in Snow Leopard, and the gesture to switch between them on a trackpad is great.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I use it with the trackpad exclusively. It's what I'm most used to (even on Windows PCs). The Rev A MacBook Air had Apple's first true multi-touch trackpad, so in a way I think the Air was designed for that use. Certainly the gestures in Lion make more sense that way, particularly since "natural" scrolling can be quite unnatural on a mouse with a scroll wheel.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I use my MacBook Pro trackpad 90% of the time I'd say, only when playing a game or using Ai or Ps will the magic mouse come out.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I use Trackpad for surfing, and Logitech M505 mouse for working in Excel. Mice are much more efficient when clicking around spreadsheets, more accurate and you don't have to tap-tap when navigating cells. Trackpad is more efficient when browsing, it's all finger motion as opposed to moving the wrist/hand. Actually, use both at the same time when jumping back and forth between Safari and Excel.

phamduc.minhanh

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
Singapore, Singapore

Greetings,

In my opinion, a trackpad is a trackpad, and it is not a mouse. I use both the internal trackpad and Apple Wireless mouse, and there has been no issue so far.

However, my last MacBook Pro's trackpad spoilt after six months of usage. Thus, I will try to utilise my mouse as much as possible and use my trackpad with care.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
For genera use, i just use my trackpad but when I need to be exact and ore precise, I use the Magic which I think it pretty as t requires no additional d gle and is comfortable to use.

But as someone stated above, some of the gestures are just stupid, so I only use the forward and back gestures

dcesano

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
hi I have bought an apple air about 1 year ago. I was happy with the pad for a while but now I hate it. It is simply TERRIBLE. It does not respond, it changes place of the tracker while you are writing plus a lot of other craps. I am surprise how apple can produce something with such low quality. It is simply TERRIBLE.TERRIBLE

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
hi I have bought an apple air about 1 year ago. I was happy with the pad for a while but now I hate it. It is simply TERRIBLE. It does not respond, it changes place of the tracker while you are writing plus a lot of other craps. I am surprise how apple can produce something with such low quality. It is simply TERRIBLE.TERRIBLE

You do realise your responding to a post which was made in 2011?

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I use the trackpad, on my iMac and Air. I can't imagine going back to a mouse.

*Edit* yikes 2011, missed that somehow

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I use the trackpad, an external usb mouse and/or an external bluetooth mouse. Having been a mouse user for so many years I'm much more comfortable with it vs the trackpad. But in a pinch the trackpad is perfectly fine. Definitely not useless. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.