Do you use a mouse with 2011 Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Faux Carnival, Sep 22, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hello, I have always been a trackpad hater but when I got my new Macbook Air, I was shocked by how good it was. Now, it's been a couple weeks and sadly, I'm not as excited as I was the first day.

No matter how good it is, all trackpads are the same: useless. I think I'll be switching to my good old Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth Mouse.

What do you guys think? Do you use your Macbook Air with trackpad, or an external mouse?

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Anyone else see the irony in declaring something "useless" in the same sentence as a plug for Bluetooth? At least using a trackpad doesn't drain your battery while introducing a slew of security issues.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wireless keyboard might cause some security issues but I don't see how on earth a wireless mouse could do that.

4. macrumors member

I'm also looking for a mouse to use on my MBA, mainly while playing Team Fortress 2. .. after some research, it seems razer orochi seems to be the best. I did have logitech M555B, but I don't like it because it feel slugish, you can actually feel the lag.. not cool especially for fps ..

Any other (preferably cheaper) solution? oh and it must be bluetooth.

5. macrumors member

Most of the time while at the desk I use my Logitech MX518 (with Steermouse drivers). I really don't mind using the trackpad either though, I often switch between them. Scrolling on the trackpad is more comfortable than on the mouse imo

6. macrumors member

Can you kindly enlighten me please, how does bluetooth keyboard cause security concerns?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

What miles wanted to say was this: IF your keyboard doesn't send your key tap data encrypted, the data might be intercepted and captured on its way to your computer. And whatever you enter (passwords, email addresses, messages) might be compromised. This is theoretically correct, though a very long shot.

8. macrumors 68040

I prefer a mouse. I use a magic mouse.
    I also have an external trackpad.

9. macrumors 68040

tigres

90% of my MBA usage is connected to a monitor, screen closed with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

10. macrumors newbie

After I got my Air, I debated on whether to acquire the magic mouse or the magic trackpad. I knew I wanted something because I didn't like the laptop touchpad very much and use it only as a last resort. I decided on the trackpad because of its form/size. It takes up less space than the mouse (not much less, but less). I may change my mind in time, but at the moment I like using it on my iMac and will probably like using it on the Air.

11. macrumors regular

Haven't touched or wanted the mouse and USB keyboard back since moving from a PowerBook G4 to the MacBook Air...

12. macrumors member

I greatly prefer the trackpad on MacBooks to mice. If there was an Apple keyboard with a trackpad on the bottom, I'd buy it. I had the Magic Trackpad briefly for my iMac, but I didn't like it compared to a mouse. I guess I feel that if I'm going to move my arm all the way over there (you know, 16 inches or so) then I'd rather a mouse and it's smaller gestures.

However, on Lion I think I'd like the trackpad. I use spaces much more in Lion than I did in Snow Leopard, and the gesture to switch between them on a trackpad is great.

13. macrumors G4

I use it with the trackpad exclusively. It's what I'm most used to (even on Windows PCs). The Rev A MacBook Air had Apple's first true multi-touch trackpad, so in a way I think the Air was designed for that use. Certainly the gestures in Lion make more sense that way, particularly since "natural" scrolling can be quite unnatural on a mouse with a scroll wheel.

14. macrumors 68020

danpass

I tried the magic mouse but the gestures were awkward.

Stayed with the trackpad

15. macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I use my MacBook Pro trackpad 90% of the time I'd say, only when playing a game or using Ai or Ps will the magic mouse come out.

16. macrumors 6502a

I use Trackpad for surfing, and Logitech M505 mouse for working in Excel. Mice are much more efficient when clicking around spreadsheets, more accurate and you don't have to tap-tap when navigating cells. Trackpad is more efficient when browsing, it's all finger motion as opposed to moving the wrist/hand. Actually, use both at the same time when jumping back and forth between Safari and Excel.

17. macrumors newbie

phamduc.minhanh

Greetings,

In my opinion, a trackpad is a trackpad, and it is not a mouse. I use both the internal trackpad and Apple Wireless mouse, and there has been no issue so far.

However, my last MacBook Pro's trackpad spoilt after six months of usage. Thus, I will try to utilise my mouse as much as possible and use my trackpad with care.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

18. macrumors regular

For genera use, i just use my trackpad but when I need to be exact and ore precise, I use the Magic which I think it pretty as t requires no additional d gle and is comfortable to use.

But as someone stated above, some of the gestures are just stupid, so I only use the forward and back gestures

19. macrumors newbie

hi I have bought an apple air about 1 year ago. I was happy with the pad for a while but now I hate it. It is simply TERRIBLE. It does not respond, it changes place of the tracker while you are writing plus a lot of other craps. I am surprise how apple can produce something with such low quality. It is simply TERRIBLE.TERRIBLE

20. macrumors 65816

You do realise your responding to a post which was made in 2011?

21. macrumors 6502

aawil

I use the trackpad, on my iMac and Air. I can't imagine going back to a mouse.

*Edit* yikes 2011, missed that somehow

22. macrumors 601

The sad part maybe u have a faulty machine and u thought it was normal.

23. macrumors 65816

Dweez

I use the trackpad, an external usb mouse and/or an external bluetooth mouse. Having been a mouse user for so many years I'm much more comfortable with it vs the trackpad. But in a pinch the trackpad is perfectly fine. Definitely not useless. ;)