Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a virus protection program?

• No, I never have.

Votes: 156 69.0%
  • Yes, because it was free. (College given software goes here)

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Yes, I always have just in case.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • Yes, I do now but I did not used to.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • No, I used to but I do not anymore

Votes: 40 17.7%
  • Other (please go into detail if this is the case)

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I've never used virus protection software on any of my Macs. All of my Macs have used OSX. I have, however, always used it on my PCs. I hate it because it does slow down the machine startup, etc.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Nope. I did when I owned a PC back in the day and they still did nothing to help. But ever since I got my Mac I had no troubles as far as viruses.

cmcbridejr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
I used to have Norton AntiVirus for Mac OS X, but then deleted the app when the license expired.

I think it is a totally useless app, and unless things have changed, here's why:

Norton only scans disks - not emails... so, what is the point?

Everytime I inserted a CD, DVD, or my iPod, Norton would scan those disks. I don't need Norton to scan those disks. Now, I am not saying that there is not a feature to disable the scanning of those disks, but what about emails?

Norton does not scan emails. Period.

Don't waste your money.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
That's a good point - nowadays, people get viruses from downloads off the Internet, or off the network (e.g. Windows file sharing vulnerabilities) -- not as often by inserting infected discs or USB sticks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.