Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Igave "Mailbox" a try (it's still in beta, technically). Mailbox has become indispensable for me.

I'm going to try Mailbox...though I have no complaints from using Apple Mail..I like my existing iCloud folders as they are some e-mail clients don't transfer these folders though love new beta downloads anyway so here goes

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
POSTBOX works Great.. Run it on Mac and Windows Same Key Code, try it FREE and if you like it its only 9$ .. Great mail program..

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ I couldn't think of a single advantage for using pop3 over IMAP. Would you mind enlighten me why you will never use IMAP? ]]

For me, "email" should work as does the "post office paradigm".

That is to say, you go to the post office, the clerk hands you the mail, the mail is now in YOUR possession, there is nothing "left behind" at the post office.

And that's how I want things on my "main Mac".
I want the mail to "come to me", and to BE GONE from the server.

When email is "left behind" on the server after I read it, it just confuses me to still "see it there". I want it here, not "there". I generally don't retain many emails, and I find it astounding and ridiculous that some individuals have tens of thousands of old emails. How can one possibly keep track of such things?

Actually, I use an "email pre-viewer" (Mailbox Manager) to pre-screen my mail BEFORE I tell Mail to download it. Thus, junk mail never even reaches my computer, but is deleted on the ISP server first. I then download ONLY emails I know to be relevant to me. I started this practice some years' ago back when the "SWEN" worm was out and about, because I was getting hundreds of them per day, and they would quickly clog the server's mailbox (because its size was severely limited back then). I just set my mail previewer (the old "POPMonitor") to delete ANY email that was in a certain size range, regardless of who it was coming from. That gobbled up all the SWEN's and kept my regular emails flowing.

There's one other reason here in the USA why one shouldn't keep old emails around on the server.
Here, the government deems ANY email more than six months' old to have been "abandoned" by the user, and subject to government seizure. Probably not all that much important any more due to NSA recording of EVERY email transmission in the USA, but it's still there...

I don't use (and will never use) an iPhone, no iPad either -- just Mac.
I realize that some might find IMAP useful, but I just find it confusing and troublesome.
My opinion only, I know most others' are different, but I'm not changing....

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
[[ I couldn't think of a single advantage for using pop3 over IMAP. Would you mind enlighten me why you will never use IMAP? ]]

Same here. I hate IMAP, but I too only read from one location.

I generally don't retain many emails, and I find it astounding and ridiculous that some individuals have tens of thousands of old emails. How can one possibly keep track of such things?

While I may be ridiculous about some things, I do keep my non-junk email forever, or as close to it as I can. I've got it going back to the mid 90's. Recent mail (past decade) is in the Apple Mail program, and older is archived. OS X will search both of these and I find it valuable to recall old events.

Probably not all that much important any more due to NSA recording of EVERY email transmission in the USA, but it's still there...

NSA or not, email has all the security of a postcard and always had. I teach part time and am not allowed (it is illegal) to send students their grades via email because it is insecure.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

While I may be ridiculous about some things, I do keep my non-junk email forever, or as close to it as I can. I've got it going back to the mid 90's. Recent mail (past decade) is in the Apple Mail program, and older is archived. OS X will search both of these and I find it valuable to recall old events.

NSA or not, email has all the security of a postcard and always had. I teach part time and am not allowed (it is illegal) to send students their grades via email because it is insecure.
There are ways to encrypt mail but require effort on the user side. Big enterprises use SMTP encryption gateways that encrypt emails and provide the necessary security.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

That is to say, you go to the post office, the clerk hands you the mail, the mail is now in YOUR possession, there is nothing "left behind" at the post office.
And that is how IMAP works as well, once it is on your mail server the post office has nothing to do with it anymore. It is yours :) It synchronises with your Mac, and when you move the stuff you want to keep out of YOUR letterbox it is gone.

And that's how I want things on my "main Mac".
I want the mail to "come to me", and to BE GONE from the server.
Your mail account is yours, what you choose to do with it is yours as well. If you delete it is gone, if you move it to a local archive folder it is gone. The choice is yours.

When email is "left behind" on the server after I read it, it just confuses me to still "see it there". I want it here, not "there".
And that is exactly the advantage of IMAP, regardless of which device you use, once you've read it it is marked as read unlike POP3.

I generally don't retain many emails, and I find it astounding and ridiculous that some individuals have tens of thousands of old emails. How can one possibly keep track of such things?
Local folders and backup archives. Many of my receipts are electronic, charity contributions for tax returns are also electronic. It was very handy when we were burgled and I was able to show to the insurance company all receipts easily. Wouldn't have though that is that hard to imagine.

Actually, I use an "email pre-viewer" (Mailbox Manager) to pre-screen my mail BEFORE I tell Mail to download it. Thus, junk mail never even reaches my computer, but is deleted on the ISP server first.
Any good mail server would do that for you, and then under IMAP you've got a nice junk/spam folder and you only have to preview those parts whilst the rest can download automatically.

Any mail that gets through (most likely spamassasin) Apple Mail then often moves or marks as junk, easily filtered upon and reviewed and deleted in one go.

I then download ONLY emails I know to be relevant to me. I started this practice some years' ago back when the "SWEN" worm was out and about, because I was getting hundreds of them per day, and they would quickly clog the server's mailbox (because its size was severely limited back then). I just set my mail previewer (the old "POPMonitor") to delete ANY email that was in a certain size range, regardless of who it was coming from. That gobbled up all the SWEN's and kept my regular emails flowing.
That was a PC affecting worm, sounds like your mail server was setup badly if that still got through. I just sent them straight to the blackhole, not even reject them.

There's one other reason here in the USA why one shouldn't keep old emails around on the server.
Here, the government deems ANY email more than six months' old to have been "abandoned" by the user, and subject to government seizure. Probably not all that much important any more due to NSA recording of EVERY email transmission in the USA, but it's still there...
Nobody was suggesting that they should be left on the server. That is not a pre-requisite of IMAP at all. Considering your mail is not worthy of retaining anyway, why would you be bothered about that then?

I don't use (and will never use) an iPhone, no iPad either -- just Mac.
Well if you only ever access your mail from one single computer, then yes POP3 will do the job, notwithstanding the overheads in the protocol and it being slower. But yet it will do the trick.

I realize that some might find IMAP useful, but I just find it confusing and troublesome.
Fair enough, it isn't troublesome though just as easy to setup as POP3 and very stable.

My opinion only, I know most others' are different, but I'm not changing....

ROFLMAO I couldn't care less whether you are changing or not. If you ever do start using email then I would suggest to try and set aside the prejudices and give it a try....

----------

And out of interest, why do you hate IMAP as well?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I keep all my old mail and would hit the limits of an IMAP account. Also, when reading on only one computer, there is no advantage of IMAP over POP.

It would only leave the mail on your server if you leave all your incoming mail in your inbox. If you move it away to a local (mail) folder structure it won't affect your mail server size/account at all.

Granted, if you only ever read from a single computer then the advantages reduce. There still are some; ability to avoid downloading attachments, selective downloading of varies mime types in the body parts that make up a message, instant notification of a message arriving without excessive polling of the server.

But yes single computer use only, less need for it. Still don't know why you hate it though.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Was an Evomail fan then it was pulled from the app store last year, loved the look and feel of Molto, and that was pulled 2 weeks ago. For me Acompli brought the best of those 2 so I jumped ship when it arrived. I think it killed the other 2 off, now that Outlook have it it should survive...I hope.

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
I've been using Opera for web and email for more years than I can remember. I stopped updating Opera at version 12 since after that they removed the email part.

I setup my accounts on my laptop only so my IOS devices have accounts setup when they sync.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Nahh, that was "the bug". Everything else has been a long time coming, and Yosemite sure hasn't helped anything, but that one stupid mail bug - which has cost me something like 2 days of work so far - was the ultimate deciding factor for me.

Edit: The phrase I was thinking of, that I couldn't remember, was "the straw that broke the camel's back".

The link doesn't work for me. What is the bug?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The link doesn't work for me. What is the bug?

It looks like Apple no longer considers known issues with previous versions of OS X as warranting a KB article.:rolleyes:

This is a google cache of the French version of HT203904.
OS X: New email messages not received until Mail is quit and reopened

For some email providers, new email messages in Mail may only appear to arrive when Mail is first opened. No new email arrives until Mail is quit and reopened.

Quitting and reopening Mail forces it to re-establish a connection to the email server. You can use these steps to receive new mail messages without quitting Mail:
1.Choose Mailbox > Take All Accounts Offline.
2.Choose Mailbox > Get All New Mail.

As a shortcut, you can also add the Take All Accounts Offline and Get Mail buttons to your Mail toolbar.
1.Choose View > Customize Toolbar.
2.Drag the Take All Accounts Offline button to the Toolbar if it is not there already.
3.Drag the Get Mail button to the Toolbar if it is not there already.
4.Click Done

To receive new mail messages, click the Take Offline button, then click the Check Mail button.

What they also fail to specify is when they use the word "may", what they really mean is that it's an extremely intermittent issue.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
no its annoying for me, i just use the websites to check my email

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Someone in a post here mentioned Apple Mail app being a storage and ram hog...
Is there a way to stop it storing all my gmail emails locally?
I set it up once, but did it when I only had about 5gb space left on my main (system) drive. I quickly ended up with no space left.
Then I stopped using it.

I'd carry on using it if I could have it just display headers, and fully load when I want to view the email - is that possible? A little like one of the modes of connection on Outlook (for Windows).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.