Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you?

• Total voters
L

Lau

I do, but just a tiny tiny bit. I find it useful to see where I am, as it were. There's nothing more annoying than going on a computer at college and find someone's set the dock to minimum size, full magnification. I always nearly fall off my chair.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
No, I find it a little distracting and I don't have that many items on my dock anyway (9 including finder), so I can keep it pretty large. I usually use spotlight for any other programs I need.

I do use dock hiding a lot of the time to get a little extra screen space on my powerbook

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
It's fun to show people as a nifty gimmick, but in real life I find little use for it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I love the way it looks, BUT if you're trying to drag an item onto an app or folder in the dock, it's painful - the app icon squeezes to the left, then to the right trying to get out of your way, whereas you just want to drop something on it.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I use it mainly because it looks sexy!

But I swear.. the dock is one of the highest reasons I've gotten my friends to love and want Macs.. Especially when you show them how to add/remove icons.. The magnification helps as well :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
nope. and i turn off the bouncing icons too. both are very annoying to me. but i can see how some people would like it. i try and keep my dock as minimal as possible. just the way i prefer things though.

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
when i first switched to mac i had magnification turned on because it was so cool

then i got tired of it and turned it off :)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
No...I have things set just where I want them and to use that would mess things up for me. Also I have my dock set small and sometimes on the left side of the screen. Nothing worse than having the dock magnifi when it's on the side of the screen and then you end up closing the program that was running instead of clicking in the dock.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Glenn Wolsey said:
I heard it also eats up CPU power, correct?

You are thinking of the video magnification that can be toggled on and off using option-command-8.

The dock magnification does't seem to increase cpu use by the dock unless you are actually pointing at the dock and thus there is some work being done to show the dock magnify effect.

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
No. It's very annoying. I might've used it when I first got my mini, but I can't remember.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.