Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use the Forum Spy (spy.macrumors.com)?

• Total voters

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It still doesn't show up for me anymore. :(

I've had it up and made a lot of posts with no result.

Hmm...and refreshing Forum Spy doesn't bring them up? Do you have any new ad-blocking stylesheets or software that would be preventing from being seen?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've never seen it in Forum Spy - where does it appear? Is there a preference somewhere?

Hmmm...it should be a checkmark at the right edge of the thread title box.

Picture 1.png

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think that indicates subscribed threads, not all threads to which you've replied.... because I see no such marks.

Edit: I guess it shows subscribed threads! :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Isn't that just threads you subscribe to? Because I don't get those, either...

Oh, crud...that's right. I just have my preferences set up to auto-subscribe to threads I post in. And I don't subscribe to any other threads, so it all means the same thing in my head.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Oh, crud...that's right. I just have my preferences set up to auto-subscribe to threads I post in. And I don't subscribe to any other threads, so it all means the same thing in my head.
Alright I set that up. It's under "Edit Options" in the User CP right? I have subscription set up with no emails.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I'm using it more now, then when it first came out. I like the "what's going on now" aspect of it.

Thanks for the tip of subscribing to threads that you post in. Makes forum spy just that more useful for me.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've been sitting here in front of the TV watching football all day with Forum Spy open (hey, I'm ill), and it's been at least three hours since I got my last "Are you still there?" message from it. Not that I'm complaining all that much, but I don't want MR's servers to explode from overuse by absentee Forum Spy users.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I use it when bored, eating my lunch, procrastinating, etc. I don't have it directly linked to my brain, though.

One annoying thing that's happened more than once: between deciding I want to visit one of the threads and the signal from my brain reaching the muscles in my mouse finger, the Spy has refreshed and pushed my desired link out the way and I end up in a different thread. :mad: Maybe I need to do clicking exercises. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
One annoying thing that's happened more than once: between deciding I want to visit one of the threads and the signal from my brain reaching the muscles in my mouse finger, the Spy has refreshed and pushed my desired link out the way and I end up in a different thread. :mad: Maybe I need to do clicking exercises. :)

Same thing happens to me...Safari briefly pauses before it updates with a new post, so sometimes you can click on a thread during that pause and it will delay responding to your click until after it gets bumped down the list, taking you to the wrong thread.

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
I've been using this site off and on for about a year. But I only noticed the Forum Spy today. It seems like a really useful feature. I'll definately be using it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.