Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
With panther I was able to drag items onto a program's icon in the dock. (Eg. an mp3 onto itunes and itunes would add the file)

with tiger I can't seem to be able to drag anything onto the dock's icons. Anyone else with this issue.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The only problem I've had is with Photoshop. When I drag'n'drop an image file on the Photoshop icon (in the dock or /Applications) Photoshop opens but not the image file (has to use Pgotoshop's Open File...). Not too annoying, and I think I've read somewhere that others have the same problem, so I expect it to be fixed either by a Mac OS X update or a Photoshop update... ;)

All other dock icons work as they always have...

Have you tried repairing permissions...?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
The only problem I've had is with Photoshop. When I drag'n'drop an image file on the Photoshop icon (in the dock or /Applications) Photoshop opens but not the image file (has to use Pgotoshop's Open File...). Not too annoying, and I think I've read somewhere that others have the same problem, so I expect it to be fixed either by a Mac OS X update or a Photoshop update... ;)

All other dock icons work as they always have...

Have you tried repairing permissions...?

This is a problem specific to Photoshop- I don't know if it's when you reistall photoshop, or when you upgrade your OS, but at some point, one of Photoshop's files doesn't get copied to the right place. There's an explanation and fix on Adobe's site. I don't have the link to the page in front of me or I'd give it to you.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Are your file associations OK? One way to test this is by double-clicking various documents and seeing if they open in the correct application(s).

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This is definitely an abnormal situation, and if it were a common issue you'd be hearing a whole lot of complaining about it, so it must be something specific to your system. Aside from the obvious stuff (permissions repair, restarting, and a disk check), the only other things I can think of that *might* help would be rebuilding the Classic desktop using the Classic control panel, or reinstalling--drag and drop is pretty fundamental to the MacOS, so if it's not working, something's seriously off.

You haven't installed any 3rd party hacks/enhancements, have you?

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
i've repaired permissions and i stil get nothing to launch from the dock, not iphoto, itunes, photoshop, quicktime, i can drag and open anything from the dock. what else could it be?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Plymouthbreezer said:
What version of Photoshop? Everything works fine for me on my G4 running 10.4.1 and PS 7.

It may just be limited to CS- but maybe not. It all depends on when you upgraded what. It's a commonly known issue that can be easily fixed by moving a file from one place to another on your system.

Re: the dock- 1) have you tried deleting your dock preferences? 2) have you moved your applications into weird places or put them into sub-folders or something?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
TyleRomeo said:
i've repaired permissions and i stil get nothing to launch from the dock, not iphoto, itunes, photoshop, quicktime, i can drag and open anything from the dock. what else could it be?

You can force OS X to rebuild file associations with
Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\
Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
-kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

(If the program does show up in Open With... in the Finder, this may not do much of anything for you. Also, because associations have been reset, expect some of those "this is the first time you have run this program" warnings.)

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
It happens with Photoshop if you upgrade your OS or drag and drop Photoshop... just reinstall Photoshop.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
point665 said:
It happens with Photoshop if you upgrade your OS or drag and drop Photoshop... just reinstall Photoshop.
Or, if you've done an Archive and Install, copy over the Adobe Unit Type file from Previous System (or backup) to /Library/ScriptingAdditions/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.