Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antonlamont45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
what does it mean when the dock ducks down for a second, dissapears and then comes back up?

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
mad jew said:
It either means it's restarting or you've opted to hide it, in which case it'll pop up when the cursor strays nearby. :)

...a helpful post from Mad Jew???

<faints>

:D

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Sounds like the dock restarted. But just in case it was just hiding, here's where to turn that behavior off.

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 76

antonlamont45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
i don't have hiding turned on. this 'dock ducking down' isn't related to me moving the cursor nearby, it seems to happen randomly. it dissapears for a second then pops back up.

why would the dock restart randomly? this isn't normal is it? what could be causing this?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Delete your com.apple.dock.plist in your preferences folder. It could be that or a malfunctioning widget.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
I think you are all going a bit overboard!

To antonlamont45:

Does this happen alot, or was it just once or twice?

The dock goes down and comes back up when you have altered something on the dock, whether it is a setting, or the insallation of a software update. It happens when the dock restarts.

Mac OS X will just restart the dock application part of OS X to apply new changes etc.

Nothing major, just a part of OS X working :)

Edit: Also, when an error occurs, the dock sometimes restarts, for example, when a program hangs during start-up.

antonlamont45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
it doesn't happen alot. it might have something to do with application installation, only thing that concerns me is that sometimes when it happens it is followed by a freeze or kernel panic (i can't remember which right now)

i will report back with more details if it happens again.

antonlamont45

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
no 3rd party widgets. apps, i'm not sure exactly.. i always have safari and mail open, sometimes itunes and iphoto when this happens.. i'll have to report back with more exact info.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you're not doing anything at all and the Dock disappears and reappears, then it's likely crashing. How to tell for sure? Open Console.app, click the Logs tile, and check ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ and look for Dock.crash.log.

If there is one, select it and go to the bottom and check the timestamp. If it matches with the "disappear/reappearence", then your Dock is crashing and troubleshooting should continue in that vein.

If there isn't one, then your Dock isn't crashing and what you're seeing is likely simply "normal" behavior when you're installing or with some app that you've installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.