Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilsprung

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Hi all,
I'm have a question regarding the dock. It seems that I get these black pixels under icons when normally it shouldnt be there. Also it happens under the icons for the programs that I had open prior.
It doesnt seem to be dead pixels or as far as i can tell with the pixel testers. The first time I noticed it was when I had the dock positioned on the bottom, since then I moved the dock to the left and the black pixels have come back. So I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this or if they know what it is?

Hopefully you can see em in the attached file, they're under the Word and Terminal icons.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
do you have magnification on? if not, try turning it on and see if the black pixels move with the icon they are under.

next, have you been using anything that changes the appearance of the dock? (ie tinkertool, transparentdock, etc...) if not, try using one and mess around a little bit and see if they go away when you change the opacity slightly or something.

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
I've actually had that problem myself - it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes after you close a program, right? I'm not quite sure how to fix it myself, though if magnification is on, those little black specks go away when the icon is "moved." I have since relieved my dock of its hideous background using TransparentDock, and that doesn't happen anymore. Don't know if that has any relation, but who knows.

evilsprung

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by pEZ
I've actually had that problem myself - it doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes after you close a program, right? I'm not quite sure how to fix it myself, though if magnification is on, those little black specks go away when the icon is "moved." I have since relieved my dock of its hideous background using TransparentDock, and that doesn't happen anymore. Don't know if that has any relation, but who knows.

yeah it happens after i close a program. I tried talking to applecare today. the rep had me reset my pmu, nvram, and params. unfortunately no go. I guess i'll have to call back again and see where we'll go from there. But if anyone else has any other suggestions or solutions I'd like to hear em still please. thanks.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Have you tried booting off the OSX cd and reinstalling (choosing to preseve App and User folders)? It should remove any bad system files, though sysupdates would have to be redownloaded.

dgallina

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2003
Erm, you mean those black triangles?

Those are *supposed* to be there.

It's how you tell the difference between:

A non-running application icon sitting in the doc (no black triangle)

and

A running application (black triangle)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I don't think that's what he meant. Scroll down a little and you will see the black dots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.