Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Hi all,

Santa brought me a radio/alarm-clock with iPod dock and I quite like the idea of playing music without taking up computer resources :)

Since I use this iPod at home and on the move, I'm wondering if it's OK to keep the iPod docked at night and whenever it's not in use, or if this will damage the battery. The (tiny) manual does not say anything about this matter, so I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Nuno

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 52

splashtech

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
I certainly hope it doesnt have any adverse effects... my classic is docked on a similar product every night to get me up for work each morning :p

chris57

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
I was actually going to post a thread asking this same thing. Since most docking alarm clocks or speakers charge the iPod while its playing it, wouldn't it "use up more cycles" of charging? I know your supposed to use up all the battery before recharging.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You don't have to discharge your iPod's battery before recharging it. Yeah, these devices usually recharge the battery but should stop once it's full. They're usually intelligent enough to not keep letting the iPod discharge a small amount before recharging it back up. Usually the battery of the iPod is bypassed in favour of the power supplied by the device, meaning that they're actually good for your iPod's battery if anything.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Beware: My 4G iPod's battery life was severely reduced when I docked it at night. (It lasted half an hour, tops) I don't know if the new batteries are any different, but I wouldn't risk it.

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Beware: My 4G iPod's battery life was severely reduced when I docked it at night. (It lasted half an hour, tops) I don't know if the new batteries are any different, but I wouldn't risk it.

Yea I've had the same problem with my 3G ipod...the battery eventually dwindles down to only working for even just 15 minutes...

But I don't blame my dock for that, all batteries dwindle down in their lives (my phone battery never worked properly again after having a gf ;) not to mention my bill afterwards) so you just get the knife out, crack the ipod open, and replace it!

I'm on my third battery in my 3G ipod and its still working right now as im typing this!

So no, I don't think docks cause this problem, maybe really crappy ones might ignore when the battery is fully charged, but other than that I think its just a matter of [all devices'] lives...

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Most of the newer ipods (all the ipods sporting a lithium polymer battery) have a charge controller built-in. So they should not "over-charge".

The only problems I see are perhaps a 3rd party charger / dock might not supply enough voltage - and the battery won't get a full charge. (though this wouldn't be a permanent problem - would restore when you used the "original" charger)

All batteries degrade over time - charge cycles have less to do than most people think. (discharge / depth of discharge / temperature and age are the greater factors)

There are a LOT of companies out there (aside from Apple) that sell replacement batteries - higher capacity batteries, and some even offer to do everything for you. I wouldn't sweat it. I've done a bunch myself, they are cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.