Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I maintain my records and keep receipts and statments as if it was a religion to me, and I would like to see a dedicated, streamlined, open-format electronic document archival and management system for OS X, complete with dedicated high-speed scanner with sheet-feed capability, and ability to scan in full-size pages, such as credit card statements, to small things such as receipts, etc.

My dream system would allow me to set the parameters, such as resolution, file-type (pdf), where to save the files, etc. and then just give it a stack of pages and tell it to go for it!

Systems would idealy have ability to scan directly into database records, personal finance program, or just save the files to a folder, etc.

Some might suggest just using a flatbed scanner and print-to-pdf. This is what I've been doing so far and although it ultimately does what I want it is by no means a high-volume speedy solution. It's very tedius.

I would like to be able to come home, stuff the stack of receipts I've accumulated over the day into the system and then forget about them. The system would scan them, save them as PDFs in a folder or into a relational database, and then the scanner would feed them right into a SHREDDER or into a box to be physically archived for a few years ;-)

Anyway, anyone know of such a (inexpensive) solution for OS X?

jessearl

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2005
I just did a search and found your thread. I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't yet started to actually scan anything into my computer, but my office is a mess and I was thinking that when Tiger comes out, maybe it could search through scanned documents. Then you would never again have to sort through a filing cabinet looking for a piece of paper.

Did you ever have any luck with your initial inquiry?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
MacVault said:
I would like to be able to come home, stuff the stack of receipts I've accumulated over the day into the system and then forget about them. The system would scan them, save them as PDFs in a folder or into a relational database, and then the scanner would feed them right into a SHREDDER or into a box to be physically archived for a few years ;-)

Is there a PC/windows-based solution like this? I'd love to toss the contents of my wallet on a pile and have the computer do the work.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
They used to have a system like this for macs, back in the days of Mac os 8 or 9. Pagescan? I can't remember what it was called. It was scanner with a 10-page sheet feeder and database software to track your docs. Wish I could offer more help. It was about $100, so not too expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.