Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
The dock is honestly the only part of the new design that bothers me. It instantly reminded me of pre-Leopard OS X, which, uh, is kind of a confusing feeling. "Oooh, aaaah, look at all this new stuff ... O HAY, 2007, LONG TIME NO SEE GURL HOW U BEEN" :p

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
The dock is honestly the only part of the new design that bothers me. It instantly reminded me of pre-Leopard OS X, which, uh, is kind of a confusing feeling. "Oooh, aaaah, look at all this new stuff ... O HAY, 2007, LONG TIME NO SEE GURL HOW U BEEN" :p

That's EXACTLY how I feel!

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Totally agree - semi transparent is the way to go.

Only stared at the dock properly this afternoon and mine does have some translucency on the 4S after all.

Problem is that on an almost black wallpaper it's barely noticeable looking more like it big grey bar.

It needs to be made more translucent I believe.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This is what you get when you call iOS 6 inconsistent. Everything now looks the same, with that trite blur effect. Happy?

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
IOSX looks professional but IOS doesn't. Can't figure it.

Its only the icons that make iOS 7 look unprofessional, the rest looks classy and profesional. Its such a shame Apple messed them up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its only the icons that make iOS 7 look unprofessional, the rest looks classy and profesional. Its such a shame Apple messed them up.
There's the dock too. Too much white space in a lot of the native apps and really small and thin icons within them that are not all that nice looking. Using words for buttons in various places isn't the smartest or nicest thing either for a touch device that is more visually based.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yeah I hate how much of the screen it covers, especially on the smaller 4S. Also, opening and closing folders in that dock is choppy as hell. Not smooth at all.

Yeah, open any of the apps in the dock on the 4S and there's a little lag near the end of the animation. Move the same app out the dock, it's smooth.

It'd like to see them replicate Control Center for the dock, just a thin black line separating the icons from the main home screen hovering above the main 4 you have in there. No actual "physical" dock so to speak.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd like to see them replicate Control Center for the dock, just a thin black line separating the icons from the main home screen hovering above the main 4 you have in there. No actual "physical" dock so to speak.

CC has a transparent/blurred background, it looks like a distinct object just liek the dock.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, but I think a physical dock is just a waste on this design. Just use a dividing line.

Although how did the person above get a transparent dock or is it a mock up ?

A diving line wont be visible on a busy wallpaper. On Apple's site the dock is transaprent. If yours isn't its a bug.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No translucent is the accurate term. Look it up.

Translucency is a subset of transparency, so you can't have translucency without transparency. I was responding to WeggieMac who asked why his dock wasn't transparent. You're just nitpicking because I pointed out the weird inconsistencies in the iOS6 icons.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
A diving line wont be visible on a busy wallpaper. On Apple's site the dock is transaprent. If yours isn't its a bug.

It's not 100% transparent. It's got the same effect as CC. It blurs to the colour of thr wallpaper behind it. There's no fine detail, just a blurry version of the colour the wallpaper behind it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.