Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
This is starting to drive me crazy. I would say 50% of the time I double tap the home button for multi tasking it goes back to home instead. It started doing it a few times since day one, but after a month it does it alot. It's REALLY aggravating.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
My home button has been a little flaky lately it seems.

I will single click sometimes and it will somehow bring up the Multi-tasking, I will single click other times to bring up the unlock screen and it won't work.

It seems to have started after JB. Dont know if it has anything to do with it or not.

I might restore and take it into the apple store.

Lka

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
My home button has been a little flaky lately it seems.

I will single click sometimes and it will somehow bring up the Multi-tasking, I will single click other times to bring up the unlock screen and it won't work.

It seems to have started after JB. Dont know if it has anything to do with it or not.

I might restore and take it into the apple store.

Mine did that before I jb. Still does, but not a jb issue

sumsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I have the same problem. It's gotten progressively worse since I've had it. Most of the time, a press on the home button works properly. But sometimes, pressing it does nothing, or a single press will pull up the multitask bar as if I've pressed it twice, or a double press will act as a single press. Drives me nuts! Should I take it to the Apple Store?

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
I have the same problem. It's gotten progressively worse since I've had it. Most of the time, a press on the home button works properly. But sometimes, pressing it does nothing, or a single press will pull up the multitask bar as if I've pressed it twice, or a double press will act as a single press. Drives me nuts! Should I take it to the Apple Store?

I'm debating the same thing, my has the EXACT same issues yours is having.

Did you JB?

sumsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I'm debating the same thing, my has the EXACT same issues yours is having.

Did you JB?

Yes, it's jailbroken, but these issues started long before it was. I called Apple support yesterday and explained the problem and the guy said I'm the first person he's heard of to complain about this issue, and suggested I make an appointment at the genius bar at my local Apple store.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009

I'm having EXACT same issue as well. Did you get yours replaced. Is the issue still there?

Actually a lot of users on Apple Discussion forums have reported home button being unresponsive/too sensitive after upgrading to OS 4.0 so this could be a software thing maybe?

sumsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I'm having EXACT same issue as well. Did you get yours replaced. Is the issue still there?

Actually a lot of users have reported home button being unresponsive/too sensitive issues after upgrading to OS 4.0 on Apple Discussion forums so this could be a software thing maybe?

I haven't had a chance to go to the Apple store yet. I did call Apple support and the guy I spoke to said I was the first one he'd heard of that has reported this issue, and suggested I make an appointment at the genius bar. The problem is, when I try to duplicate the problem, I can't. So, I doubt the genius bar will believe anything is wrong.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
I haven't had a chance to go to the Apple store yet. I did call Apple support and the guy I spoke to said I was the first one he'd heard of that has reported this issue, and suggested I make an appointment at the genius bar. The problem is, when I try to duplicate the problem, I can't. So, I doubt the genius bar will believe anything is wrong.

Thanks for following up.

Well, i can duplicate the issue sometimes if i keep on pressing the home button continuously but its still inconsistent. I guess i'll just wait for the iOS 4.1 update before calling up Apple support.

Anyway, keep us updated in case of any new developments.

Golovko

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Exact same problem

Happens pre and post jailbreak.

Wondering if this is hardware and if Apple would deal with this (bought the iPhone probably 1 month after release). It's incredibly frustrating.

Please keep us updated.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Wondering if this is hardware and if Apple would deal with this (bought the iPhone probably 1 month after release). It's incredibly frustrating.
There are plenty of posts, dealing with this problem, (a lot of them hardware related) and yes, if it is a hardware problem, Apple will replace it.

sumsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
There are plenty of posts, dealing with this problem, (a lot of them hardware related) and yes, if it is a hardware problem, Apple will replace it.

I took my phone to the genius bar and explained the problem to the rep. Without even looking at my phone, he told me to restore to the latest firmware, but instead of restoring my phone from a backup, I should set it up as new, and it should fix the problem. I did this yesterday (making sure to make a copy of my backup), and the problem seemed to go away. But, since I have too many settings, etc. invested in my phone, I couldn't stay with a new setup, so I then restored it from my backup, and now the problem is back. So, if any of you feel brave enough to lose all your settings, you can try this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.