Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Reading all these forum threads on MR and elsewhere, you start to get the feeling that every MB or MBP arriving in users' hands is defective and plagued by the heat and/or whine problems.

So does anyone have an MB or MBP that runs merely warm (or cool when idling)? And doesn't whine or moo? And isn't in denial about genuine problems?

I'm partly concerned because I've bought an MB for my grandparents -- their first intro to computers, ever. And I'm dreading the thought of their first experience with computers (and Apple ones at that) being filled with long phone battles and trips to the nearest Apple Store to fight for repairs. Is there any hope for them not getting a roasting, whining Rev A?

erikamsterdam

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
amsterdam
no problems here

Bought a MBP 2 weeks ago and it has no problems whatsoever.
It gets warm above the function keys, but you never touch it there anyway. Next to the touchpad where your wrists are it just gets a tiny bit warm, not uncomfortable at all.
And it's completely silent, held my ear next to it after reading all the threads. No noise from this one.

So there is hope :)

Erik.

eji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Well, ****, if you're the only one erikamsterdam, then I'm in really deep trouble.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Just got a MB last night. No noise whatsoever. (except the optical drive, not sure if that's ok) It can get warm, but I have to test more to decide whether it's too much. Laptops do get hot, I've never had one that didn't. This is my 3rd Mac laptop and 6th overall. And I've played with many more.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
My BlackBook was delivered yesterday and its been perfect as far as heat/noise - none whatsoever.. I had it on all day at work and it wasnt' any warmer than my previous 12" PowerBook G4 (or my work Thinkpad T60 sitting next to it). I have yet to hear anything I'd consider a 'whine'.

I do hear the fan at times, but I'm also laying on my bed covering most of the vents and my face is abotu 8 inches away from it...

I will agree that the CD drive is a little louder than I expeced, but it works fine. (I remember when I first got my PB I thought the same thing til I got used to it.

Mines problem-free and I hope it stays this way!

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I bought a MBP about 3 weeks ago, had both problems, then returned it. It was week 12 if that helps, bought it at SoHo Apple Store. The heat wouldn't work because I do need to travel and (occasionally) use it on my lap, and when working at a desk, the whine just got too distracting that I needed ambient iTunes to get rid of it (which arguably is not too much better but…)

jjohnson87

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
So far not a single noise issue and it gets a bit warm/hot but nothing like what other people have been posting. It isnt any hotter than the pb g4s we used for work or the dell laptop my brother has.

eji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Well, I was lucky on my iBook G3 Rev A *and* my iMac G5 Rev B. I had models that were both smack in the middle of fault-plagued manufacturing runs (judging from the SNs on the recall programs), and both are running so well I want to do backflips.

Then again, if I hadn't bought AppleCare for both models, it'd be a whole other story. This much I know. Hopefully my grandparents will be as lucky. :eek:

simonb

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2006
As I stated in another post, I did NOT have the any problems before the latest firmware update. just a slight overheating. But now I have ALL of them. Airport not reconnecting after sleep and sudden lows, whining AND it gets much hotter than before.

assscat

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
17" MBP arrived yesterday. Works like a charm. It is my second after the first arrived DOA with a faulty latch, though.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
No whine yet on my Macbook. The keyboard can get a tad warm, but other then that, I absolutely love this computer.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Got mine yesterday and it's perfect. Quiet and warm after a few hours, but not hot. Wireless reception is excellent. The screen is beautiful (and perfect as well). I'm a new fan of the glossy widescreen display. Nothing to complain about here :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.