Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Yes. And it will have passcode as usual, this will just be option 1. IF it "goes bad" then type in your password like you always have.

I'm excited about unlocked with fingerprint, entering password with fingerprints, credit cards with fingerprint. and maybe even multi user.

If false negatives bypass the fingerprint reader and go to a passcode how is it any more secure than just having a passcode?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If false negatives bypass the fingerprint reader and go to a passcode how is it any more secure than just having a passcode?

Its not.

However it could maybe be integrated with NFC and that is the only form of security. You'd be inconvenienced but still have access to the phone.

To me it seems like a gimmick but I'll need to use it before passing judgement.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
You can just grab your phone without looking and hold down the home button for siri. I can do it without looking. Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that you probably don't actually have to look at your phone to operate siri right now. Or, if you have to unlock, I'm sure that most of us can do the home button>swipe motion in our sleep by now.

It's pretty much automatic for me but I would think some kind of always listening voice activation with dedicated hardware implementation like the Moto x would be the next step for Siri. Isn't the point of voice command to be truly handsfree?

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I need to update passcodes on all of my idevices once a month since my kids manage to figure out the passcodes by looking over my shoulder when I unlock the devices so they can play games. So yeah I would be happy to have the fingerprint reader option. This would also be nice when driving. I won't even need to look to hit the home button.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010

I never said false negatives do that, and I never said it was more secure.

But I'll address your strawman anyway - I imagine a toggle of "failed fingerprint reads" before it reverts to passcode (1,3,5 attempts). Exactly the same as the current toggle they have for failed passcode attempts before deleting data. 2nd strawman - For security, it's better because you can't copy my fingerprint, spy on my fingerprint, and it's more convenient. If you assume the scanner "goes bad" and you can only use your passcode, then take it back the Apple Store. Just like you would if your home button was broken.

ADD: case in point, read the guy above me.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
In the spirit of Elon Musk leapfrogging high speed rail to Hyper Loop...

Fingerprint biometric is so yesterday.

I have read that scientists have discovered humans give off a certain distinct electromagnetic signal. THERE! No dealing with dirty fingers/scan surface, the correct pressure, correct placement, good lordy.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A hundred? What are they? I won't ask you to name them all, but give me 30.

1. more RAM
  2. Bigger screen
  3. NFC
  4. Non-physical home button
  5. Better rear camera
  6. Better front camera
  7. LED flash on the front
  8. More freedom to personalize
  9. Inductive charging
  10. A battery that can last a week
  11. A glass screen that is unbreakable
  12. Siri to understand plain English
  13. Waterproof
  14. Gesture unlocking
  15. 128GB+ storage
  16. Reintegration of Google Maps
  17. Tethering without a data plan
  18. Better antenna
  19. Nested folders
  20. Micro SD card slot
  21. Better speakers
  22. File system access
  23. Phone & text spam recognition
  24. Ability to set other apps as default (i.e. iCabMobile as my browser)
  25. Flash lite or a way to view flash
  26. Integrated IR
  27. Screen recording (not just snapshots)
  28. Customizable widgets
  29. Faster charging
  30. True camera controls (exposure, aperture, f-stop, etc)

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The fingerprint sensor will have a very significant impact on mobile commerce and help limit e-commerce credit card fraud. It will be a huge plus for merchants and make it more convenient for shoppers (eventually scanning your fingerprint instead of finding your credit or debit card and punching in all the numbers). Paypal will probably add this as one of their checkout features eventually.
It will also provide a user with ease of access to secure apps like your online banking or credit card apps instead of worrying about storing your user names and passwords.

Apple can move mountains with their decisions sometimes (see the demise of Flash), but how long have we been talking about biometrics as an everyday form of payment, login, etc? The laptop I am typing this on has a fingerprint scanner to log in. Not only have I never used it, I have no knowledge of anyone in this entire company using it.

I'm not saying biometrics are bad, quite the contrary, but I can't see a massive spike in market adoption rates just because Apple puts a fingerprint sensor on an iPhone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple can move mountains with their decisions sometimes (see the demise of Flash), but how long have we been talking about biometrics as an everyday form of payment, login, etc? The laptop I am typing this on has a fingerprint scanner to log in. Not only have I never used it, I have no knowledge of anyone in this entire company using it.

I'm not saying biometrics are bad, quite the contrary, but I can't see a massive spike in market adoption rates just because Apple puts a fingerprint sensor on an iPhone.

I think flash is a bad example. I just had to put down my iPhone and goto a computer due to a new flash based webpage.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think flash is a bad example. I just had to put down my iPhone and goto a computer due to a new flash based webpage.

Flash is still being used, but go look at any site with usage statistics & they all show that it is on the decline. HTML5 and javascript are what most developers are using now because of the market that iOS owns.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Flash is still being used, but go look at any site with usage statistics & they all show that it is on the decline. HTML5 and javascript are what most developers are using now because of the market that iOS owns.

I agree with that 100%. I meant I feel Apple help speed up the inevitable but not moved mountains. I wish flash would friggin die already. It only hurts iOS user experience.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
I hate typing a passcode every time I want to go into my phone
I hate having my phone not secure

So yes, I am looking forward to this

If the fingerprint doesn't work, you can still type in a passcode (just so you know)

rjkgr

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
i really want the fingerprint for phones and i want voice recognition that would be so cool

the-prophet

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
Adding a fingerprint reader would encourage people to keep their iPhones more secure.

It's an excellent plan actually.

I don't have my iPhone locked. If it got lost, the world would see everything.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Not sure how it would take longer unless the recognition is very slow. Personally I would rather use something like a fingerprint scanner than punching in a code. Although I don't need the security whatsoever. It'll be interesting when it is incorporated into payments and other security aspects. Wouldn't be worth the upgrade without deeper integration though.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
I had one on a MicronPC laptop once. It was such a pain that I turned it off about 3 days later. Quite a novelty but not nearly as easy or quick as typing in a password and it would take 2-3 tries most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.