Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
So I was having issues with the battery in my 6S, it would shut off at various random percentages, claim the battery was empty then an hour or two later be able to be powered on fine (or if plugged in would turn on at the percentage it shut off at like 60% or 40%).

I made a call to Apple Support and they setup a repair which has just been returned to me. The slip of paper inside says that the iPhone was sent in because of Display issues and the repair was to replace the Display Assembly. I had made zero mention of display issues.

Before I start chasing Apple on this / beginning the slow process of restoring the phone: Does anyone know if the battery would also have been replaced as part of the repair process? I can see that they phone has certainly been returned to an earlier version of iOS than I had on there before (was iOS 10.1 beta 2 now 10.0.2).

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks, that was not the answer I was hoping for. Just been on the phone with Apple Support and they don't know what is going on. Have a call scheduled for Monday to see if the phone repeats what its done, but not pleased they replaced a perfectly functioning display with one that (on glance, waiting on restore to finish) doesn't seem quite as good (bit of leakage in the corner).

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire
Basically they will replace the display. They also run a diagnostic test which is pretty smart as it checks every component, wifi, battery, mic, speaker, battery etc

If any of these come back as failed its replaced.

I had a speaker issue on a 6. The diagnostic was carried out and the component showed as failed they replaced the device.

yeedawg

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
I had this same issue with my battery. Restored my phone and set up as new and i haven't had an issue since!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Download iBackupBot to your PC/Mac, plug in your iPhone, look at battery Cycle Count, then u know.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
iBackupBot still shows battery cycle count. Make sure you've upgraded to the latest version which supports iOS 10. My three week old iPhone 7 Plus shows "CycleCount: 9".

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Cheers for all the replies. Turns out the issue was still happening and I went back to Apple Support (with a bit of a run around) and got onto a Senior iOS Tech Advisor and emailed them three links to videos which showed the issue.

This one, tried to power on twice, said iPhone was empty. I let it cool a bit more, tried to turn it on again and it came on with 72% battery remaining. https://cloud.tarasis.net/index.php/s/OUcOhNIVhqTZlFl (I actually had the issue again while erasing the phone for its return to Apple. Was at ~65% when I started the erase and then it switched off and claimed it was empty)

They arranged another collection, and apparently decided to simply replace the device with another which arrived back today (about a week door to door). Just in the process of setting it up now (though first updating to 10.1), battery is currently at 104% capacity and this time it appears I've got a TSMC A9 rather than the Samsung A9 I had previously. Screen is a darker on one side compared to the other (mostly top left), but I will ignore that the best I can.

I don't know it was the battery, whatever chip that detects that battery capacity or what that was at fault but something clearly was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.