Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'm actually in the midst of replacing the battery on my 2015 15" as I noticed it was beginning to swell (certainly explained the terrible battery life I was getting!), wound up ordering an iFixit battery since I didn't trust anything on Amazon or eBay. I already removed the old battery which was actually way easier than I thought, albeit it was a somewhat messy process due to the adhesive strips Apple used. Isopropyl alcohol works wonders for softening the adhesive BTW.

Also while the iFixit guide recommends doing a full teardown, but I found that was completely unnecessary. Really the only thing you need to remove is the trackpad cable which comes off pretty easily if you're careful. I also found that unscrewing the speaker housings helped a bit so you can move them around a bit when cleaning up the old adhesive.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Looks like 15" Mid 2015 is no longer available as a option to select. Strangely, 13" Early 2015 is still available. Anyone recently get their battery replaced for the 15" Mid 2015 MacBook Pro? Has anyone tried Best Buy or Micro Center?
This is interesting, can it be out of stock on the Apple end? While both MacBook Pro are listed as vintage status, the 15-inch model discontinued in July 2018 vs June 2017 for the 13-inch model. Personally $249+sales tax seems like a lot.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Looks like 15" Mid 2015 is no longer available as a option to select. Strangely, 13" Early 2015 is still available. Anyone recently get their battery replaced for the 15" Mid 2015 MacBook Pro? Has anyone tried Best Buy or Micro Center?
I've had two 2015 MBP's batteries replaced by Apple in the past few months. I did it all through chat via https://mysupport.apple.com/
Also, check you serial number to see if your 2015 qualifies for a free battery replacement due to the recall. https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

Last edited:

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I bought a refurbished Mid'15 MBP in 6/16 and it was great until I noticed the bulging battery last year. It spent most of its time in clamshell mode sitting on the desk and the serial number was not eligible for replacement. The Apple Store quoted me $289 for the battery but a local Apple Authorized shop did it for less than $200.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
Just to give a 2024 update on this topic - I was just able to get my battery replaced on my 2015 15” rMBP at an Apple Store in Canada just this week, although you do have to get the top case replaced as well. The Genius Bar associate said that when they confirm that the battery health is an issue, the top case gets included in the price of the battery. If the battery health is still normal or tests fine, the replacement costs more. When the Genius Bar associate created the work authorization, the battery/top case part was not in stock and it was not clear if the part was even still available. I was left with some uncertainty and told to just watch for an email if the part arrives. Fortunately, a few days later, I received an email informing me that the part had arrived at the store. I quickly went back to the store to drop off my Mac, and the repair was completed in 4 days (mostly due to a backlog of repairs at the store). At pickup, I booted it up to check the battery and was able to confirm the battery was brand new with a cycle count of 0 and a manufacture date of Oct 31, 2023. Keyboard also feels great being brand new as well.

Definitely would recommend over getting a third party battery, especially if you intend to use the Mac for the next few years. If you think you need a battery replacement and are leaning towards getting it done at the Apple Store, I would go soon because it is not very clear how much time is left to get the replacement done. I was warned by the Genius Bar associate that if any other parts fail, they cannot get new parts. So, the only part that seems to be available is the battery/top case…for now, but with the vintage status of the computer, it is unpredictable how much longer it will be available. The situation could be different in other regions though.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
note that I think they have to do the replacement in-store, and I'm not at all confident on the ability of current ""geniuses"" to handle service for pre-m1 macs. There's a decent chance that it's basically their first time doing the procedure on laptops this old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.