Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJC747

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
I'm sure this has been asked before but I bought my iPhone 4 last February - just dropped it and the screen is completely cracked. I bought the AppleCare when I bought my phone - can I go to the apple store tomorrow and ask for it to be replaced or at least fixed? thanks guys

my friend told me sometimes they'll do it - if i act nice you think they will lol?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No AppleCare doesn't cover cracked screens. The normal charge is $200 for the cracked screen replacement.

DerekTS

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
AppleCare+ will cover it for a $50 fee, but the regular AppleCare will not cover it.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
An Apple employee told me that Applecare covers 3 accidents that will cost you $50 instead of $150+ without applecare.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
The repair is really hard if you have no prior experience, I would just pay the $200 replacement fee and forget about it.

I guess I should have said that. It's not worth breaking your phone even more attempting to fix it yourself. Just a suggestion if you are experienced enough.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
An Apple employee told me that Applecare covers 3 accidents that will cost you $50 instead of $150+ without applecare.

Not sure where that Apple employee got his/her information, but that's not true. Applecare+ will cover 2 accidental damage incidents at $50 each. Regular Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage at all. Applecare+ wasn't available for the iPhone 4 until the iPhone 4S was released, so the OP has regular Applecare.

It's possible that you'll get a very nice Genius to fix it for you, but I wouldn't count on it. It sounds like that kind of stuff is supposed to be ending now that Applecare+ is around.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Repair of any defect not caused by the user for an additional year?

:confused:

my HTC thunderbolt comes with a 1 year warranty and verizon will send me a phone free of charge if I have any problems. I thought all phones have the 1 year warranty included automatically? Samsung does also. oh an additional year I follow what you're saying now. I'd just get a case for the phone, be cheaper.

----------

Apple told me once they only have 90 days of free phone support so he couldn't talk to me because it's been more than 90 days. I was trying to explain what was wrong with my phone and he kept saying " sir your customer support has ran out"

The thing I don't get is the phone has a 1 year warranty from all defects, but wouldn't it make sense to have phone support for 1 year also? so they can troubleshoot and maybe fix it over the phone???? How do you send your phone in if you cannot talk to them first???????? Pretty stupid

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
AppleCare does replace cracked screen as long as the crack came from the inside of the screen. If they find an impact point, on the outside of the screen, it's considered an accident and it's not covered as a manufactures defect.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
my HTC thunderbolt comes with a 1 year warranty and verizon will send me a phone free of charge if I have any problems. I thought all phones have the 1 year warranty included automatically? Samsung does also. oh an additional year I follow what you're saying now. I'd just get a case for the phone, be cheaper.

----------

Apple told me once they only have 90 days of free phone support so he couldn't talk to me because it's been more than 90 days. I was trying to explain what was wrong with my phone and he kept saying " sir your customer support has ran out"

The thing I don't get is the phone has a 1 year warranty from all defects, but wouldn't it make sense to have phone support for 1 year also? so they can troubleshoot and maybe fix it over the phone???? How do you send your phone in if you cannot talk to them first???????? Pretty stupid

Talking to customer service about needing to send your phone in for repair is different than talking to tech support about how to fix something. If you have a problem after your 90 days of phone support is up, you either go to an Apple Store to see a genius or call customer service and see how to send it in for repair.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
It's like car warranty, it only covers defects, not accidents.

understand, but this is hardly a car. It's a phone. Probably better off just getting the insurance and why waste money on a warranty? The insurance covers any accident. The phone being defective beyond one year is more than likely not going to happen. If turns out to be a defect then take the phone and slam it on the ground, ok now it's an insurance claim.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If you aren't tech savvy, most of the local Craigslist guys will repair your iPhone 4 glass for between $50-70. And they will do it in less than 30 minutes.

Just go on Craigslist and type iPhone 4 glass repair. Many of these guys are good at what they do. They work in the back of a local cell phone shop. So it's like a side business for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.