Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cshbell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2005
I happened to be looking for 1GB memory upgrades for my 12-inch PowerBook 1.33GHz on Crucial this morning, and I noticed a major discrepancy in pricing. If I use the "Crucial Memory Advisor" and pick my laptop model, the price of a 1GB PC2700 CL2.5 DIMM is $184.29:
http://tinyurl.com/7lc2e

But if I select what appears to be the same chip (even though the model numbers are slightly different) just by going through the chip upgrades, the price is $139.99:
http://tinyurl.com/96e3o

I've looked at specs, including timing, voltage, chip arrangement, etc. Everything appears to be the same. So what gives? Does Crucial charge more for memory selected through their Memory Advisor? :confused:

ijustin

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
I noticed this also, when I was looking for iBook memory.

I asked Crucial what the difference was between two iBook chips and they said that the cheaper one will not work. I didn't believe them so bought it anyway, and what a surprise it works fine!

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
cshbell said:
I've looked at specs, including timing, voltage, chip arrangement, etc. Everything appears to be the same. So what gives? Does Crucial charge more for memory selected through their Memory Advisor? :confused:

They could charge more because it's "Apple" memory once you select a PB, but I'm not really certain. I can't imagine there is any difference beyond the perception that they can charge more, but I could be wrong.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Ah, no, not again...

You are making one dangerous assumption -- that the generic RAM that "looks" identical apart from a couple of characters in the model number, is actually the same and compatible. You cannot tell by looking at the spec, the timing or the chip arrangement.

Crucial recently had to revamp their Powerbook part numbers because their PC Generic SODIMMs were NOT compatible with Macs. This varies from Powerbook model to model, but the Mac compatible parts are significantly higher priced on some Powerbooks.

The "generic part numbers" for the Powerbook 12" 1.33 builds are
CT6464X335.16 = CT368641 = 512 Mb
CT12864X335AP = CT368642 = 1 Gb

NOT the PC ones advertised on the Crucial site
CT6464X335 $64.99 512 MB
CT12864X335 139.99 1 Gb

So, how much difference could a few characters make in a model number? Well, consider the difference between a wise man and a wise guy.... ;)

I recommend that you get your Mac RAM from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac.

If you want to experiment with generic RAM, fine, but be prepared for the time and expense of sending it back if it doesn't work - if you are not lucky you'll lose any savings on the shipping.

There is a comment on the NewEgg Kingmax page that is telling. Guy bought his Kingmax in December, it worked until he installed Tiger, and then it wasn't compatible with the new Apple firmware. NewEgg did the right thing and replaced it for him (he probably had to pay shipping: NewEgg according to their policies didn't have to replace it, because they do not guarantee compatibility on anything). But the new RAM he received was the same Kingmax part number! The PC Generic RAM manufacturers can change their chip build from month to month with no notice. So you don't know that the one that worked for poster A last month is the same one you'll receive this month.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wouldn't buy Crucial either. I saw go to MacMall/OWC or Newegg. What's the benefit of Crucial over either of those 2 vendors? Nothing really.

And besides, Crucial has dynamic pricing, so its best to "Erase your Cookies," and then select "No cookies accepted" in your browser before you go to Crucial's website. Seriously, when found this out, the prices at Crucial's website for 512MB of SODIMM RAM for a 12" Powerbook changed from between $115 to $92 for the same RAM. Sneaky.

For that reason, I'm never buying from them again. :mad:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Abstract said:
I wouldn't buy Crucial either. I saw go to MacMall/OWC or Newegg. What's the benefit of Crucial over either of those 2 vendors? Nothing really.

And besides, Crucial has dynamic pricing, so its best to "Erase your Cookies," and then select "No cookies accepted" in your browser before you go to Crucial's website. Seriously, when found this out, the prices at Crucial's website for 512MB of SODIMM RAM for a 12" Powerbook changed from between $115 to $92 for the same RAM. Sneaky.

For that reason, I'm never buying from them again. :mad:
Wow! I knew Crucial were a little sneaky/slimmy, but if that's true then I'm avoiding them too.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Prices over at OWC (macsales.com) are pretty reasonable as well. The cheapest 1GB stick they have is for $138.95.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.