Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
Basically what the title says. When I am in class with my labtop I would like to record the professor's lecture. Is there a feature built-into OS X or another program that can record audio and format it into a nice readable extension?

Thanks

umdjb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Washington D.C.
Yes I am aware of that. But that requires QuickTime Pro. Anything already included on the Mac or some free software out there?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
There are lots of little apps that will do the same, but for the $20 QT Pro is the easiest, and if you do any media compression work is WELL worth the cost. Search VersionTracker for the free alternatives.

Recently did that at a doctor's appointment, and the sound quality was surprisingly good from my MBP's built-in microphone.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
umdjb said:
Yes I am aware of that. But that requires QuickTime Pro. Anything already included on the Mac or some free software out there?

Oops. Didn't realize that's a Pro feature.

Um, perhaps GarageBand? It's what I use for most of my simple, live audio recordings.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Garageband does fine, if you don't have GB for whatever reason and need something free, Audacity should do the trick. I'm sure there are lots of others out there too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.