Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it worth upgrading to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I have three Macs, one from 2010, another from 2013 and the last one is from this year 2017. They are all running High Sierra without any noteworthy issues.

They are all being used for relatively mundane tasks, stuff that any typical consumer would use them for.

I do run a VirtualBox virtual machine (running Windows 10) on the latter two so I can run one Window program. That also works fine. I've tried running VirtualBox on the 2010 system but it's really slow; it appears VirtualBox is not optimized for that old CPU. Pity, but that's not a problem with High Sierra, that's on VirtualBox (Oracle).

If you are skeptical about High Sierra's current QA, you are free to install it on an auxiliary drive and try it out yourself. if you don't like it, just boot from whatever system you currently have installed.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2014
London
Gone back to Sierra yesterday. Sick and tired of things not working. Bugs issues with sleep. At least Sierra is very much stable. Might upgrade at a later date, say, when the majority of the bugs have been sorted. I want an easy life not riddled with bugs coming out of my ear holes! It’s like going back to windows with the endless updates and security packs! Jeez!

Reactions: MacBookBroLax

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
I've had major sleep issues due to High Sierra (and so does my Mac)... 80% of the time lifting the lid shows me my profile photo and name, but no way to login... have to long press power and reboot...

Mac OS X has become the new old Windows... have a problem? Reboot/Cycle power... all. the. time.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Gone back to Sierra yesterday. Sick and tired of things not working. Bugs issues with sleep. At least Sierra is very much stable. Might upgrade at a later date, say, when the majority of the bugs have been sorted. I want an easy life not riddled with bugs coming out of my ear holes! It’s like going back to windows with the endless updates and security packs! Jeez!

It's ALWAYS been like that with OSX. Even Snow Leopard, touted as their best IS ever, had disastrous bugs on launch. Usually around 10.X.3 it's safe to upgrade.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Its very difficult to say with so little information.

Probably easiest way is to search this and other Mac related discussion forums including Apples own for people who own similar Mac and see what they say. Also check if developers of the software you use support High Sierra, if not you have to wait until they support it.

Given the Apples previous record I suspect High Sierra will have most of the bugs fixed by .4 or .5 updates time.

Reactions: MSastre

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade, don't do it until at least 10.13.3, whenever that will be. The latest beta of 10.13.2 is still very buggy, so I can't imagine the final of 10.13.2 will be much better at this point.

Reactions: stooovie

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're using Low Sierra and you're happy... well... just stick with "what works".

If you want to try the upgrade, VERY STRONG CAUTION:
Get an external drive, and use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable clone of your system BEFORE UPGRADING.
Then... if things don't work as planned... it's easy "to get back to where you once belonged".

If you DON'T follow the advice above, and upgrade and have problems, you can still "get back", but it's NOT going to be "easy"...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've noticed performance problems on my iMac (2012) with an Nvidia chipset. I'm not noticing any of these problems on my Intel-GPU Macbook Pro, or my iMac at work which uses a Radeon chipset.

I suspect the Nvidia GPU drivers in High Sierra are buggy. I've had little graphical glitches and slowdowns.

The problem is bad enough that I'm thinking of downgrading back to Sierra if the issues don't go away on the next point release.

I suggest skipping the upgrade for now if you have an Nvidia chipset in your Mac.

Mark Holmes

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
San Diego CA
Don't, if you use FCPX. Had to reinstall Sierra after High Sierra produced show stopper bugs in ongoing projects in Final Cut. Major PITA - was on deadline and Apple does everything they can to make rolling back difficult.

Reactions: vjl323 and stooovie

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Don't, if you use FCPX. Had to reinstall Sierra after High Sierra produced show stopper bugs in ongoing projects in Final Cut. Major PITA - was on deadline and Apple does everything they can to make rolling back difficult.

Yep, I have insane problems with FCPX in HS. Crashes, exports simply stopping after 5 %, losing rendered sections...

Reactions: vjl323

Trouble1

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Thailand
With my experience with Apple and this 2013 MBP 13" I'm not taking any chances, sticking with El Capitan. As soon as iPad Pro 2018 comes out I'm buying one and selling this lemon. No more MBPs for me.

I'm currently using an older 2009 iMac but Santa is going to be placing a brand new iMac on my computer desk in a few hours. I assume it will be running High Sierra. Not really sure how I feel about it just yet. I've used it briefly when I've dog sat for my parents and tinkered for a few minutes just to check email & peruse The Google a bit. But I haven't given it a full workout yet.

I know I'll take a pounding for this because *GASP* SECURITY ISSUES!!!! But I still regret not using a backup on my current computer when I "upgraded" from Macericks to Yosemite. If it was up to me I'd roll it back to Mavericks on my current one and as soon as the new one come out of the box I'd slam Mavericks in that one too. But we'll see. I'll give whatever is on there a shot.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2014
London
I'm currently using an older 2009 iMac but Santa is going to be placing a brand new iMac on my computer desk in a few hours. I assume it will be running High Sierra. Not really sure how I feel about it just yet. I've used it briefly when I've dog sat for my parents and tinkered for a few minutes just to check email & peruse The Google a bit. But I haven't given it a full workout yet.

I know I'll take a pounding for this because *GASP* SECURITY ISSUES!!!! But I still regret not using a backup on my current computer when I "upgraded" from Macericks to Yosemite. If it was up to me I'd roll it back to Mavericks on my current one and as soon as the new one come out of the box I'd slam Mavericks in that one too. But we'll see. I'll give whatever is on there a shot.

You won't be able to install Mavericks on your new iMac. its Sierra (or high Sierra) and thats it!

You won't be able to install Mavericks on your new iMac. its Sierra (or high Sierra) and thats it!

Yep. I know. That makes me sad. I wish I could though. If I was able to that would be the first thing I would've done. I'll give this one a try but it still won't compare to Mavericks. Hopefully I can at least still tweak the icons of everything to look like Mavericks like I did with Yosemite but I think that was killed off too (edit: I launched it and it has an update saying it makes it ℅ paucity High Sierra so at least I can still sort of have the Mavericks look and fee as long as it actually works. So one small victory, yay!)...

Oh well. At some point the bright whites, pastelly, cartoony look will give way to a proper skeunomorph and darker themes again. I can at least dream and tweak until then.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"MacOS High Sierra can't display a clear pdf, that is ridiculous for a modern operating system."

Try this:
1. Open the pdf
2. Click the "smaller" icon (assuming you have that in the toolbar)
3. Then, click the "size to fit" icon (again, in the toolbar).
Any better?

(yes, I realize "it's clunky". But it usually works)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I duked it out on High Sierra for a good while, but so so glad to be back on Sierra. This is Apple's worst macOS in a LONG while.

deleted my high Sierra partition. I'm over apple's games for my laptop OS

The features are almost non existent but the bugs slower boot and weird wonky issues are prevalent.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Best macOS version to me compared to Sierra and El Capitan. UI is smoother and overall more responsive. iMac 5k Late 15

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I've yet to find a compelling reason to update, and that new file system is just begging to cause trouble with my collection of older Macs that cannot deal with it. 10.5.11 thru 10.12.6 is enough of a backup challenge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.