Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Does Quicksilver make use of Spotlight? I mean, it seems to find files on my computer as quickly as Spotlight (sometimes it is m issing things that I have in Spotlight, though.)

Or does Quicksilver have its own database and index? Because sometimes, it doesn't index all of my apps (whereas Spotlight does - of course.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My understanding is that, by default, no. (Source). QS actually predated Tiger and Spotlight, and although the latest version *can* use Spotlight data in searching, I don't think it has to. But it sounds like the long-term vision is to have that aspect of its functionality taken over by Spotlight.

You can also see this thread at the Blacktree site: Link

Hope that helps? :)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Quicksilver does not make use of Spotlight... It can't. Quicksilver has been around longer. The reason Quicksilver is as quick as spotlight without the large infrastructure is simply because it is not nearly as robust as Spotlight.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
they have totally different purposes for me. spotlight is nice and all for finding data IN files. i use Quicksilver as a launcher with a bit of power to it. QS is actually faster and built to do what i want it to do. I use spotlight, but not very frequently, i just don't have THAT many files on my computer that i am always searching for stuff. i just type in "Spring 2005" or whatever into QS and it opens a finder window of my spring school work... or "PSY 309" and it finds the folder for my psychology class. Spotlight is useful but i only use it when i am searching WITHIN files.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
I use Spotlight and Launchbar. Spotlight for searching files and info within files; and Launchbar as an app launcher (it only looks in my /Applications folder). If Spotlight could be configured to put the app it founds in the first place (instead of "show everything"), I would ditch Launchbar; but for the moment, I use the two of them, since Launchbar is such a faster app launcher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.