Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gustav531

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I just got my MBA 11.6" with 64gb storage.
I loaded up my Gmail account into the Mail app and it started downloading thousands of old emails.

Is that taking up any considerable amount of space? I mean the text files probably aint so big but all the attachments etc...

What shall one do?

Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Delete the emails you don't need, especially ones with lots of pics.

You can see how much Mail is taking space by right-clicking Mac HD/Users/user/Library/Mail folder and selecting Show Info

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It can use anywhere from hundreds of MB to a few GB. You can deselect "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing" and Mail will not store it locally. It will fetch it from the server when you request it. It's in the account settings.

ryanmcd02

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
When I set up my mail account, I did it offline and set the Mail app to not save any emails to the computer. This causes a lag, as each message has to download before viewing, but makes the computer only store the subject lines of emails (if I am correct).

jamone13

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2010
In mail goto Preferences, then Accounts, then select your account and select advanced. Then change "Keep copies of message for offline viewing" from "All messages and their attachments", to "All messages, but omit attachments". For me most messages are 3-40KB so even with 10k messages its only 400MB. That way reading messages doesn't require loading, it also allows full text search still. Its the attachments that kills you.

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
Just compare your free space before and after to judge how much it consumes.

Or go in Home/Library/Mail , where you see a folder for each account you have and then you Get Info on the account to see how much space it takes for real.

Comparing before/after free space on your HD can be a bit misleading, since other things happen while it's loading the emails - browser caching stuff, temp files being created/removed, etc.

Patrix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.